GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 DCT Tour
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking about getting creative for installing a set of forward and reverse dash cams and wonder if anyone has experience with using Fuse Taps for power sources?

See Photos For Examples of Fuse Taps sold on ebay

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have used them in some cars. They are easy to use if you have enough room. Much easier and probably superior to the squeeze on taps.

Not sure if you have the extra room needed on your 2018 but my bigger concern is the BUS system. Extra loads can cause an error code. Defer to others but I think you need to use the accessory power connection and direct to battery connection (cameras usually require both switched and constant on power sources).

·
Registered
2018 Tour, Candy Ardent red
31 Posts
I'm curious as to why you wouldn't just use the built-in Accessory Fuse provided by Honda?

The fuse box has an independent, fused accessory circuit built into the fuse box for adding farkles (10 amp I believe) at the upper left hand side of the fuse box with both positive and negative terminals available.

🤔

TD

·
Registered
167 Posts
I used them on some airfield vehicles. You need to plug them in one way so the added circuit is feed from the hot side of the fuse slot. Done right they are great, but add them to the wrong circuit you can set yourself up for issues. Our draw was low so we would add them to a circuit that was a primary and could support the extra load.

·
Premium Member
2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Airbag TRiO
150 Posts
Use caution. CAN-Bus errors can be problematic and cause other problems. Years ago, I was about to tap into a fuse panel and noticed a tag on a wire leaving the terminal. I thought cool, someone labeled it for me. It said, airbag, do not probe. Since then, I have stopped "tapping". On my GW, I use a Show Chrome Accessory Isolating Electronic Fuse box and a PMD 60 - both are CAN-Bus safe and offer different ways of connecting accessories without worry. If you have to tap into a wire, use a Positap (19) Using the Posi-Lock, Posi-Tap and Posi-Twist - YouTube .

Reactions: Bullet Bob

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Yes, I've used these (on cars), even have a few in my toolbox. However, as pointed out, used for low-draw items as the wiring into the fuse box is sized for the current load, bike is canbus so circuit load is monitored, and if used on the bike the fuse box cover would have to be modified.

For all my bikes I use an auxiliary fuse block. MUCH safer and easier...

Reactions: Bullet Bob
1 - 6 of 6 Posts