GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was wondering if it would be worth the investment of $995 (as quoted from one dealer and $895 from another) to have LoJack installed on my Wing.

Do any of our group use LoJack or have any of our Police members found it a usefull tool in a bike recovery while on duty ? or, even heard of it being usefull ?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Nothing here. Don't know anyone that has it.

·
Registered
906 Posts
to much money,,, most police depts dont have the scanner needed to find it once its stolen,,, my police buddy told me lojack was supposed to give them 3 scanners ,,,well they only gave them one and this is no small police dept its a very big dept ...he said by the time we find the guy that has the scanner they have allready disabled it!!!!!...so dont waist your money

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
I have recovered many vehicles by using my police car. In San Antonio, Texas, about 200 vehicles are equipped. If you have a policeman you know in a major city, they will do it for 300.00. It will be done through their auto theft detective division. I was thinking about it myself for my 08 Gold wing and yes you can do it. You can look at other tracking devices that they have on the market also. You will have to pay a monthly fee, but i have heard people put them on their kids cars and can track there speed, location, etc.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
If I owned a Harley, yes I would seriously consider getting one. During Bike week in Daytona Beach, several grew legs and walked, one out of the back of a pickup truck. I have only heard of one Gold Wing that was stolen, so I'll take my chances or park beside a Harley.

·
Registered
297 Posts
LoJack

Don't waste your money. I did a survey last year on this board to determine how many wings have been stolen. The response was overwhelming indicating that no one can remember a wing being stolen, ever.

The other issue, some one mentioned, we don't have the lojack receivers like we had a few years back. I work in Fairfax County VA, surburb of Washington DC, and we have not updated our lojack equipment or increased the number of receivers in the department. The best resource we have is the lojack receiver in the helicopter. The helo has recovered countless vehicles to include sport bikes. If I had a sport bike or a Harley I would say save your money to get a Lojack, but not for the wing.

Joe :superman1:

·
Registered
484 Posts
I don't need Lojack. That's what insurance is for. Plus, if someone steals my bike, I don't want it back. Truth be known, I'm not too sure a thief would take good care of it for me until I got it back.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Harleys get stolen as do sport bikes. Goldwings, almost never. Save your $$$$ for gas, safety/comfort, or bling.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I say don't bother but only because in 20 yrs of law enforcement I have never seen or heard a Gold wing getting stolen. lo Jack is a nice peace of equipment I have one on my wife's car and daughter Mustang GT. Yes they work and work well if you are in a city or in my case a County that has the receivers. If your local law enforcement does not have them spend the money on goodies for the bike or take the Wife on a weekend away on the bike. JMHO

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I forgot a couple of times and left the keys in my bike at work, at a store, a restaurant and over night at a Hotel
It was always there when I got back.
I think the only people that want a Wing can afford one. And are typically Upstanding citizens

·
Registered
116 Posts
Scorpio Alarm

I to looked into the loJack and I was told by many wingers about the low theft rate. And also my insurance company when contacted would not reduce the rate.

However I wanted some piece of mind that my investment was protected a little more. So I found a alarm call 'Scorpio"and it gives me that extra piece of mind. Some feathures are ,remote battery statis, bike battery statis, auto armed, perimeter sensor, montion sensor, small receiver what recharger (about the size of our key hub and if you bike is taken from you at a stop light you just get off and activate your receiver (i keep on a clip on my belt and in my pocket) you push the bottom within 1000 feet and it shuts the bike down. I feel better when I am traving and stay over night somewhere. The receiver will let you know if anyone is messing with the bike. There are other thing that this alarm does. Cost was under $400. plus mounting.
Scorpio (model-RFID SR 1900R) main location # 480-951-1109 Roger :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts