GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to connect an Alpine CHA-S634 6-CD+MP3 changer via an Alpine KCA-130B A-Net to MBus interface cable through the PIE.net HON/PC-ALP protocol converter to the 14 pin CD Changer plug and had it work properly?

·
Registered
343 Posts
After considering the cost of a CD player, the amount of space required to haul CDs aeound, the having to unload the trunk to change CDs, and the general issues of vinbration and weather elements, I bought an MP3 player, downloaded my CDs to it, and can now have ALL my CDs at one time with me and carry it all in my pocket. Set it in the faring pocket, connect the plug and go!
I like simple! :D

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Been there, done that. It is wearing thin on me :-( ! I do a mix of highway (560 miles this last weekend) and commute (13 miles each way); and removing the CD player to the trunk at the work destination just does not feel integrated ...

The cost of this, if it works, is $296, only triple the price I paid for the portable MP3 CD player (four years ago) and it gives me six times the joy and if integrated in makes for a safer trip with less fiddling!

Besides, the Honda unit does not do MP3, this is `added value' :)

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What about the NeoChanger?

Just saw the NeoChanger 10 CD CD/CD-R/CD-RW/MP3 this weekend, for $250 it also has the Honda 14 pin changer cable. I have contacted the manufacturer and am waiting for them to respond on whether they support the GL1800 as well.

The problem identified with both this and the Alpine changer is their size. The manufacturers do not have on their websites the sizes, but a `sales' site I found lists the dimensions as being a bit too big. 6.5 x 9.25 is the space allowed, and the units are both 7 x 10 for their footprint. The NeoChanger is one inch taller than the Alpine, with the Alpine unit being a tight fit.

Sigh

·
Registered
1 Posts
Alternate to cd

This may be of interest as I have just completd this on my 03 1800 was not prepared to pay for the cd so looked for other alternatives tried the mp3 (archos jbm20) worked ok but prone to shuting down under heave braking acceleration being hard drive based then there is the security issue so continued to look then I found this goody veba AV-4025 dvd - cd - mp3 player. This unit is standard din size for the car dash and will fit in the trunk space with room to spare it has an infered extender with remote so it can be controled from the front it will go straight in to play at power up and if you switch it off before turning off the ignition it will remember the track it is on using mp3 format I have around 180 tracks to a single cd ( better than a 10 disk and alot smaller) to access some of the other features you do need to have a screen to this end I add a 4 inch unit mounted in place of one of the lower air vents on the back of the player is a 12v outlet this was used to drive a relay to switch power to the lcd screen the whole setup cost me 310 uk pounds and took about 7 hours to fit most of this being taken up with removing the top shelter removing the air vent and hose and cutting the vent trim and adding the plexi glass

if any one wants details just email me and I will send pictures and stuff

·
Registered
533 Posts
iPod

Check out iPod for 15 to 30Gig, self powered and instantly installable. An Archos is very similar to iPod, except for being larger and is difficult to establish the playlist. I just read a review of it, in the May MCN commenting on this, as well. I returned my Archos and bought the iPod.

Do you have 10,000 songs on CD to load the 30Gig iPod?

Put your CD in the garage; top shelf is where mine is.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
HUH?? You guys lost me! :oops: I gave up trying to fit my 7" reel 2 reel in the trunk, and am now looking at my 8track setup for continuous listening, but, again, it takes up all my trunk space. :lol:

With my ears ringing the way they do, I'm happy with my little mini disc player plugged into the aux jack. (did I say all that right?) But, sometime in the future, I would like to add some head sets to my helmet, so as not to bother the people around me while I'm listening to the tunes.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
First hurdle is that the connectors are not the same. My guess is that Honda had Pioneer change the protocol on the changer so that you could not use anything aftermarket (that allready existed). We are working with someone to develop one just for the 1800, but it is slow-going.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lewis/EC said:
First hurdle is that the connectors are not the same.
The 14 pin Connector Destined for Honda for the PIE and the NeoChanger10MP3 is not the same. This much is true.
Lewis/EC said:
My guess is that Honda had Pioneer change the protocol on the changer so that you could not use anything aftermarket (that allready existed). We are working with someone to develop one just for the 1800, but it is slow-going.
SSI america, which produces the interface for the NeoChanger and the popular line of NeoMP3 players, however, was supplied a set of Photos of the connector and immediately identified it as a new late Model Honda Car CD changer connector, and yes, it does have a new protocol. They picked up the details of that protocol on March 20th, and flew to Europe to a supplier of the new connector; according to the Engineer I talked to on the phone back then. They pinned April 7th as a delivery date, I have yet to follow up.

I tried today to talk to the Engineer, but he was not in to update me. I'll try in the coming week to pin down logistical details and will hopefully sample the upgrade soon. the NeoChanger10MP3 must be purchased from Best Buy, the cable upgrade must come from SSI america upon request. I place high hopes that the interface will work, since the same changer P/N supplied for the GL1800 shows up in the Honda CR-V.

Honda re-usables are all over the place, since the key fob remote is identical, save for a car trunk logo, for the Honda S2000. My intuition sez that it costs way to much to make a one-of purpose built protocol; Honda wants to keep their costs down.

Although 10 MP3 CDs is roughly the storage of a low end iPod, I still hanker for the integration and the lower level of distraction being able to use the buttons Honda gave us. I pressured SSI america instead to use the protocol converter with their MP3 players, but they flat said no :cry:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts