GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not wanting to start The Great Tire Debates, but am looking for anyone who has run Bridgestone's Exedra Max in 180/70R16 on a GL1800. Mine's an '08. The Exedra Max is load rated 77 so it's up to the task. Since going to 70 series Avon Cobras, I've come to really like the stance and quicker turning the 70 series gives over the 60 series. I understand there's lots of support for the performance of Bridgestone's G704 radial and they seem to get much better mileage than Cobras (I only get 5,500 miles), but don't want to go back to 60 series profile. Who runs this and what do you think?

·
Vendor
17,830 Posts
You might be describing a tire that many may know as the Valkyrie tire. If so, some go to it because it makes the speedos more accurate on the 01-08s. If so, because of it's profile, it's a smoother riding. Unfortunately, the side wall is not nearly as stiff as the Stone that is made for the Wing, so it will not handle as well. Also, I don't think it's load carrying ability is as much.

The best way to tell on the load is to read max pressure on both tires, and it will also tell what its weight carrying ability is at that air pressure. This information is on the side of the tire.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Not wanting to start The Great Tire Debates, but am looking for anyone who has run Bridgestone's Exedra Max in 180/70R16 on a GL1800. Mine's an '08. The Exedra Max is load rated 77 so it's up to the task. Since going to 70 series Avon Cobras, I've come to really like the stance and quicker turning the 70 series gives over the 60 series. I understand there's lots of support for the performance of Bridgestone's G704 radial and they seem to get much better mileage than Cobras (I only get 5,500 miles), but don't want to go back to 60 series profile. Who runs this and what do you think?

I ran one on my 2005. The rear end was really squirrely at speed and not stable at all. Tire wear and longevity was terrible.:smile2:

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm first time user of the 180/70rx16 but using the elite 3, must be close to 10,000 miles now and I like it. I also see they have it in the elite 4 now.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
I ran the Exedra Max 70 on my 2005 for over 80,000 miles. I had no performance or wear issues. 38 psi. To me the 2005 Wing handled like this was the correct tire for the bike. As Greg said, it put the speedometer dead on compared to the Garmin GPS.
I couldn't help but think that perhaps Honda went with the 60, just to get riders to slow down. With the stock 60 rear tire, my speedometer read 8 mph faster than the GPS indicated. I did not like the ride and noise of the Dunlop.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
200 Posts
I think that was the 70 series tire I had on my Wing a couple of years ago.

Thanks to Jim who was riding behind me, he spotted these whitish stripes down the centre of the rear. I was down to the cords :shock: and still two hours from home. We made it home but it was a ride I don't want to do again.

And that was at just under 10,000 km, or 6200 miles. And I have always been pretty anal about constantly running the tires at the correct pressure.
Never again.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I tried the 70 series Bridgestone and loved it. Handling was much better and the speedo was correct. I only got about 5000 out of it so now I've gone back to the 60 series. Don't know what mileage I'll get with it, but I will likely go back to the 70 next time regardless.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I believe Tom Finch has been using Dunlop 70 series tires on the rear of his GL1800’s for at least a couple hundred thousand miles.

I rode with a 70 series rear Bridgestone for about 2,500 miles and it seemed fine to me, it was really nice to finally have an accurate speedometer.
After that experience next time buying tires for the wing I will most likely be comparing prices between 60 and 70 series.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts