GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
The 2006 version is pretty good. You can print maps just like AAA strip maps or with overview and instructions. I find it far less technical to use than Mapsource, which is what is used for the Garmin units.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the 2006 version. I really like it, simple and you can produce the exact route you want to take and save it. Simple, easy and inexpensive.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Yes and yes.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I agree with all the above statements. :)

Seriously, it works great for me.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I have both 05 and 06 version. I gave my 05 version to my daughter in law for her computer after I bpught the 06 version. When I tried to send a map to another board member with my 06 version he could not open it with his 05 version.

I then re-installed both versions and run them both. I am not sure if I will get the 07 or not. I use mine alot and would be lost without it.

Ross

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
been using MS streets and trips for years ... I like it pretty well.

I just switched to iGuidance v3.1 and so far I think I like it better.

In addition to the laptop, it runs on a little iPAQ too so I just keep one in my side pocket and plug the AUX cable into it.

... that lets me get turn by turn directions in addition to the mp3 music (the directions come over the top of the the music)
it nice to have it telling me to make U-turn if I miss a turn but after awhile it will automatically re-route you if you get too far off the original track.

it's great for exploring all the backroads down here in Florida.

I like it because about 98% of the entire U.S will fit on a single 2gig SD card (total is 2.2 gigs). With a a 4gig card you can have the 100% of the U.S. and several days of music too.

Dennis

·
Registered
589 Posts
If you want to use Streets & Trips 2007 with the GPS Utility you will need to upgrade your copy of the GPSU to the latest Beta Version, you can get the Beta version at

http://www.gl1800riders.com/forums/view ... hp?t=73710

S&T 2007 had a file format change and when you import a S&T file, is has garbage for ID and some locations. The Beta 45.d fixes this glitch.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I use S&T 2006 quite a bit, and am happy with it, and will probably get 2007 pretty soon. However, I found something "interesting": When I checked for a route between Grants Pass, OR and Gold Beach, OR, as James Kim quite possibly did a few weeks ago -- it gave me the same route as the one that he tried to take in his Saab.

Google and Mapquest both sent me down Hwy 199, the longer, but much preferred route - especially in the winter time.

·
Registered
478 Posts
k7lvo said:
I use S&T 2006 quite a bit, and am happy with it, and will probably get 2007 pretty soon. However, I found something "interesting": When I checked for a route between Grants Pass, OR and Gold Beach, OR, as James Kim quite possibly did a few weeks ago -- it gave me the same route as the one that he tried to take in his Saab.

Google and Mapquest both sent me down Hwy 199, the longer, but much preferred route - especially in the winter time.
Just pick that you dislike arterial roads for preferred segments and it will route you on 199.

None of these programs are perfect - just a great aid. Judgement and luck always are in play. You could say the same thing about being routed on I10 through New Orleans or over the Donner Pass.

Great planning tool for trips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts