GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the Sena headsets have an input and a cord for the Goldwing Intercom. Is anyone using this as a way to connect with their Bluetooth enabled phones? If a call comes in, does it mute the input from the Wing's sound system?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Are you referring to the SM10 or the SMH10? The SM10 is a Bluetooth stereo audio adapter that connects the GW system via a 5 pin DIN cable to the SMH10 via Bluetooth. The SMH10 are the Bluetooth headsets and also may connect via a 3.5mm audio cable to a cell or gps or ipod. My experience is yes, if the phone "rings" all other audio ceases. I don't use the phone while on the road, just the gps and/or ipod.
Now, is that answer confusing enough for you?
:?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I noticed that the Sena headsets have an input and a cord for the Goldwing Intercom. Is anyone using this as a way to connect with their Bluetooth enabled phones? If a call comes in, does it mute the input from the Wing's sound system?
Just an FYI, I wouldn't do anything with BT until the SMH20 comes out (supposedly very soon now). It has two complete BT channels using the latest spec. The issue with the GW and the existing BT options are well discussed in other threads, but the short version is that your going to install and BT transmitter or transciever in the wing and connect it to the GW audio, then pair that to your helmet. Where I see the second channel coming in handy is using one channel to pair to the GW and the second channel to pair directly to your GPS, GPS/Phone, or phone.

FWIW, the way my Zumo 665 drops the BT connection (way too often) and the time it takes to reconnect, I can envision this being a huge PITA.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just an FYI, I wouldn't do anything with BT until the SMH20 comes out (supposedly very soon now). It has two complete BT channels using the latest spec. The issue with the GW and the existing BT options are well discussed in other threads, but the short version is that your going to install and BT transmitter or transciever in the wing and connect it to the GW audio, then pair that to your helmet. Where I see the second channel coming in handy is using one channel to pair to the GW and the second channel to pair directly to your GPS, GPS/Phone, or phone.

FWIW, the way my Zumo 665 drops the BT connection (way too often) and the time it takes to reconnect, I can envision this being a huge PITA.
Multichannel BT has been around for a while over sea's . See "BT 4 rider, easy talkie" and daisy chain up to 4 BT head sets , with 1 and 4 still having cell phone connections. All 4 can talk at the same time, like a conference call.

Enjoy

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
My zumo 665 Bt would drop out quite a bit,, But I got all new stuff for my CTX1300 including the zumo590...and have the sena 10 now but waiting on my sena20s units to arrive.. Since I switched to the zumo590 have not had any BT dropouts for music or gps instructions

·
Registered
149 Posts

the smh 20 is out according to sena website

·
Registered
144 Posts
To Your Question

Hi Cruiseman;

I don't know of anyone using a cord to connect Sena headsets to the GW intercom. The headset has a 3.5mm jack designed for plugging in the output of an MP3 player; but, this jack is an audio-in port and cannot support 2-way duplex with an intercom system. As mentioned by the other responders to your post, Sena does make a GW dongle to connect the bike's audio system to a SM10, a 1-way BT transmitter that sends the bike's audio to BT headsets. But, that still doesn't give you a 2-way duplex intercom capability.

IMHO, the only way to connect any BT headset to any bike's audio system and have full duplex intercom capability is to give the bike its own 2-way BT transceiver. The Sierra-Sena harness I created does that. The bike's BT unit hides in the left glove box and the harness is underneath, out of sight. No one can tell your bike supports BT. The only downside is that the BT intercom profile cannot support stereo; so, all the audio from the bike is mono. You can even talk on the bike's OEM CB just like the riders with wired headsets do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts