GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know how the heim joint works on a bike trailer rather than purchasing a 150 dollar swivel. It seems like a good solution that would bypass the need for the swivel. If so, how does the female end of the trailer side of the joint mount to the receiver side of the joint on the bike?

Also, how big of a heim joint do they use. I have the ability to weld in the proper supports to use the joint if they work well.

Thanks for your help
DJ

·
Registered
700 Posts
DJ - First, please understand that the heim joint as used on the Bushtec trailer line is matched to the loads and stress associated with our trailer. Just because it works well for our application does not mean that it will provide the optimum performance in other applications. All Bushtec trailers have a swivel designed into the trailer tongue which allows the heim joint approximately 30 degrees of vertical and lateral movement BEFORE the swivel comes into the equation. The heim joint is only one part of our coupler design. Our application uses a 5/8" heim joint and I would recommend a larger heim joint for applications other than a Bushtec.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts