GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the April '04 Wing World is an ad for cooling vests by Silver Eagle Outfitters http://www.silvereagleoutfitters.com/vests.htm I did a search on this site and couldn't find any mention of these vests.

Does anyone have experience using one or know of someone who has? I want to buy cooling vests for my wife and I.

TIA

·
Registered
22 Posts
Silver Eagle Vest

I have one and love it when the 100 degree heat hits.. I have tow riding buddies that have them also and we all love them great.. They also got the head wrap. You soak it and it works great.. BJ

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I stay cool the old fashoned way. A wet "T" shirt under my Phoenix jacket will provide comfort for more than an hour.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Joe Rocket cool vest works for both of us. Just soak it for a couple minutes & it will keep you cool for a good 6 to 8 hours. Plus your shirt doesn't get soaking wet. Yes they really do work well.

G

·
0 Posts
save your :money1: and do what I do....on the inferno days just wear a thong and seed corn hat. The breeze feels great. NO tan lines !
Sure you attract a few stares but who cares. Oh careful about the the hot bike seats....like hot crossed buns dude ! :oops:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks for the tip I just ordered mine. Will let you know how it works.

·
Registered
263 Posts
you mean this bike doesn't have AC, what the heck..I'm sending it back.

S

·
0 Posts
Gary , just got two sets including the Helmet pad in anticipation for our trip to Texas this July . Haven't been able to test them yet personally , since it still is a tad bit chilly out . The reviews I have read though seem very encouraging , and like you say good price . So what the hey , figured would give them a try . :clap2:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Thong and hot vinyl....

OUCH!!!!!!! :shock:

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I have both the evaporative cooling, and the "heat of crystallization" type of cool vests.

The evaporative types (both gel crystals and polyester mesh) work really well on the highway, especially in the Southwest, where the air is often very dry when it's hot. With my Fieldsheer Titanium mesh jacket and my Baker air wings blasting on the vest, I'm in heaven.

They stop working in the city, or when in high humidity or off the bike if there's not a breeze.

That's when the "heat of crystallization" vests come into their own. They have chemicals that freeze between 40 and 60 degrees f. You don't need a freezer to recharge them, a fridge or cooler does fine. When you're wearing them, the temperature will stay the same for hours until they are completely melted. These things can keep you comfy in hell for a couple of hours. On the bike you want to wear these under a regular jacket, not a mesh type. The air blowing through the mesh will only pump more heat into the vest and melt the coolant faster. Of course, when you're off the bike, you lose the jacket, unless it's just a windbreaker type.

I like to take this type of vest to the races. With a hat, you can enjoy the most brutal heat and sun conditions, so you can stay at the best corners instead of seeking out shade or breeze. They will last 2-5 hours, depending on brand and conditions. I keep replacement packs for the vests in a soft cooler with my pop, so I can go indefinitely by switching out the packs every 4 hours or so.

I'm not recommending brands, because price, fit, and performance can be optimized depending on your taste. For instance the heat of crystallization type refrigerator vests have different efficiencies, depending on the freezing temp of the chemical they use. The ones that freeze at lower temps can keep you cooler longer, but are more uncomfortable (colder) to put on, and are harder to recharge when your cooler warms up.

With evaporative types, the gel crystal types will hold the water longest, but tend to look a little Michelin manish, and won't provide as much cooling at peak. The polyester absorptive type can be very nicely tailored, can release a lot of water for cooling at peak demand, and are easier to dry for storage (mildew is an issue with evap vests.)

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

I've been playing with these cooling vests for years. I've owned a lot of different brands. They all work some. There's no reason for you to suffer from the heat. Hope this info helps somebody.

G

·
0 Posts
My wife and I used these last summer and liked them. They are out of Grapevine Texas and should sell a MILLION at Wing Ding in Grapevine in July this year. MIRACOOL vest. www.ridecool.com. Email [email protected]. 817-488-4504. And NO I have no connection with the company---fact is I havent been in touch with them since I bought ours over a year ago. The suckers do take up a lot of water if left to soak and there fore heavy but not noticeable by me while riding. It doesn't take long to fill with water. Some kind of crystals in many rows of joining tubes.

G

·
0 Posts
I just checked the above web site for Miracool and noticed they now have a 800 number and also the PCM type vest/jacket as described by uneasyrider although quite a bit higher than the evaporative Poncho types my wife and I have. Take your choice. We find a full soaking is not necessary and is lighter and a hose to add more any where on your ride is all that is necessary to add more.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Bought one at GWRRA rally last summer in Visalia. After initial test run, never used it again, just keep hauling it around. For me, temperature needs to be close to 100 before I want to be inconvenienced to the point of stopping to dig out, soak it, and put it on. So it depends on the individual tolerance for riding in the heat. I have water jug and hose to my helmet and I am drinking water all the time. That is all you really need. Anything else is like a toy to play with. To each his own.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Some of us Wing riders aren't in bad shape but maybe have issues with side effects to meds that we need to regulate our old bodys temp more closely. Or just don' tolerate hot weather well. Water alone will not help if a side effect of one of your meds is that you don't sweat a whole lot and get real hot, I mean real hot in the sun.

Having been exposed to this board and the breadth of information and knowledge, I'm tickled that there are products that will help keep me cool during hot weather.

Have a a trip planed to Shasta Ca. and have to pass through Redding Ca. whose average temp in summer is 100 or better.

Whatever floats your boat - water consumption, soaking a vest in water or using a fridge to cool down a vest, the bottom line is comfort.

When a rider is comfortable he or she are more alert and in my book that's real good.

Otherwise we would have gotten a lot cheaper bike with a lot less rider comfort built in. (and lots of gizmos to add for more comfort and saftey)

JMHO

Buck Yellow Wing :lol: 8) :lol: :goflag: :yw1:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts