GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you wear a "duster" when you ride?

I'm looking for a new jacket because my winter "bike" jacket - ain't a bike jacket at all... Just a heavy L.L.Bean parka.

I started my research & the short list included Aerostich, Motoport or FirstGear's Kilimanjaro.

Then I thought... "Hey! How about a duster?!?!" They're made out of "oilskin" (basically waterproofed canvas), they're long, and strap around your legs and they're loose enough that I could wear my summer mesh jacket under it (for protection) and still stay warm in the winter using the duster as a wind barrier. You can get them with an oilskin hood and an insertable liner.

Here's one I was thinking of: [The Tasman]

I'm trying to combine wind & rain protection into one outer garment.

I don't need another rain suit. I've got one of TourMaster's top of the line rain suits, but it's WATERPROOF. Doesn't breathe. When I wear it, I sweat so much that I might as well not wear it at all...

'Sides... They're way cool looking!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I wear an Austrailia model on my warrior for damp/rain weather (local)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Dude,
i been to 3 County Fairs & a goat ropin' contest, but i ain't NEVER seen anybody wear a duster on a motorcycle. Not even the HD crowd. Not even @ Daytona or Sturgis. Not to say it ain't been done, i just ain't seen it.
Seems like it wouldn't pack up very well, kinda bulky...............but,
If you like it, wear it. Who knows ya might start a trend? :D
happy trails,
the hobo

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
preacher said:
I wear an Austrailian model on my warrior for damp/rain weather (local)
Thanks for your response. I guess I should have asked how effective a motorcycle garment do you think it is...

(And... uh... What's a "warrior"?)

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
No, I don't, nor will I ever. I have an acquaintance (HD rider) that used to wear one. His lower flap came loose, caught in the rear wheel/chain/belt drive, not just sure how that happened. He spent several days in the hospital, some face reconstruction, healed ribs and shoulder, looks pretty good now but he was a mess and off duty (County Deputy Sheriff) for some time.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Margarita Will said:
preacher said:
I wear an Austrailian model on my warrior for damp/rain weather (local)
Thanks for your response. I guess I should have asked how effective a motorcycle garment do you think it is...

(And... uh... What's a "warrior"?)
Very effective against the weather, tie downs for each leg, straps to tighten arm holes. 2002 Yamaha Warrior with 1700 cc engine. The coat rolls up and fits on my handlebars during non use. Not for everyone, but isn't that the idea?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hobo said:
I been to 3 county fairs & a goat ropin' contest, but i ain't NEVER seen anybody wear a duster on a motorcycle.
Have you seen anyone wear a duster to a county fair or a goat ropin' contest?

hobo said:
Seems like it wouldn't pack up very well, kinda bulky...
I'm not terribly worried about packing it. I'd probably just bungee it to the back seat if I wasn't wearing it.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
GreenDragon said:
No, I don't, nor will I ever. I have an acquaintance (HD rider) that used to wear one.
i KNEW somebody had to have worn one. As i said, i just hadn't seen it. :oops: This from a guy who has worn inner tubes as RAIN PANTS.................. :roll: go figure.
the hobo

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
GreenDragon said:
No, I don't, nor will I ever. I have an acquaintance (HD rider) that used to wear one. His lower flap came loose, caught in the rear wheel/chain/belt drive, not just sure how that happened. He spent several days in the hospital, some face reconstruction, healed ribs and shoulder, looks pretty good now but he was a mess and off duty (County Deputy Sheriff) for some time.
If you are going to wear something that has the possibility of coming loose and getting into the gear, you might want to make sure that it is doubly secured. His was not secure. It would be difficult for it to get into the gear even if it came loose. When they flap, you know it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GreenDragon said:
I have an acquaintance (HD rider) that used to wear one. His lower flap came loose, caught in the rear wheel/chain/belt drive, not just sure how that happened. He spent several days in the hospital...
Thanks for your feedback. That's one of the issues I was concerned about. I'm not sure how likely something like that would be on a Goldwing, though...

·
Registered
534 Posts
There's this hombre that rides at the ride to the wall almost every year. His wing is covered with a buffalo hide and head on the steering assembly. Looks like a buffalo. Anyway he wears one anytime it's raining. Just thought you might want to know there is someone (no matter how strange they are) that wears one.

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Always liked the look of a Duster, but I wonder how well it works on a motorcycle, and a Goldwing in particular. With the design of the Goldwing I doubt here would be a problem with things getting caught "In the Spokes" or any place else on the bike.

But add a rider backrest, maybe armrests for the passenger or even luggage stacked up on the back seat, seems like just getting on and off the bike could be troublesome...

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
:hun1:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Margarita Will said:
'Sides... They're way cool looking!
I believe that's what some guys were thinking at Columbine High School a while back.

I have an HD riding friend that always rides in a duster, rain or shine. But with him it isn't about the look, its who he is. He always wears a cowboy hat when he isn't on the bike, cowboy boots and a western cut shirt. The guy belongs in a Marlboro ad. But you can tell he isn't about the look, he has some leather straps that keep the tails of the duster wrapped wround his legs when he's riding.

There are a lot of these "cowboy" type guys living and working on ranches in the Sierra foothills in California than folks realize.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I would worry too much about all that extra flaps of 'oiled canvas' eating my bike (flappin in the breeze and destroying the clear coat)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Wingriderz wrote:
Will you be auditioning for Broke Back Mountain II ? If not, I think this is quite possibly one of the goofiest things I've read on this forum. Congratulations.
+10

And I saw a guy go down in a parking lot while wearing one and trying to get started out on his bike. I was just commenting to my buddy how ridiculous the guy looked when he went over. Something got caught somewhere.

Sorry, to each his own. Just cracks me up seeing one on a biker. :shock:

·
Registered
221 Posts
I used to see a guy every week wear one of them dusters
think his name was Lorenzo Lamas ya thats it
The Renegade

:lol: :cop2:

·
Banned
1,633 Posts
Wingriderz said:
Will you be auditioning for Broke Back Mountain II ? If not, I think this is quite possibly one of the goofiest things I've read on this forum. Congratulations.

:yes1:
Gotta agree with this.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I've been to a a couple of axle greasins and a buch of goat ropes and I think the duster would be cool if you wore it backwards so the wind wouldn't fly up your knickers. :lol:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts