GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Wingriderz said:
That lead horse looks like it's struggling.
The lead horse had a cute little 19-year-old riding it; then there was Mirtes, then me (big horse), then Dicepilot (in photo) on a smallish horse. It was the slowest and most cautious ride that I've ever gone on.... ...good thing the conversations were amusing. And it's a lovely park.
No dusters or even motorcycle jackets.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Well, I guess it's about time to resurect a thread...

I recently lost my duster in Lovelock, NV. I loved that thing, it was the best raincoat I ever had. I will admit that I had the 3/4 length jacket rather than the full length wannabe a male prostitute look.

Combined with chaps or rain pants it kept me dry and comfortable. It wasn't too hot, but it could be layered for really cold weather.

One nice feature is the short cape on the jacket. It won't help you fly, but it's a nice place to put pins.

I'm looking at a new one, and will be riding in it before long.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Yep, I believe I did see a guy on a wing wearing a Duster once. Sure was an eyecatcher...think it was a early model 1800 with two blown seals, 30" Ape hangars, two 6 shooters strapped to his LD Comfort tights and Quebec plates. I wonder what ever happened to that guy.:22yikes:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Do any of you wear a "duster" when you ride?

I'm looking for a new jacket because my winter "bike" jacket - ain't a bike jacket at all... Just a heavy L.L.Bean parka.

I started my research & the short list included Aerostich, Motoport or FirstGear's Kilimanjaro.

Then I thought... "Hey! How about a duster?!?!" They're made out of "oilskin" (basically waterproofed canvas), they're long, and strap around your legs and they're loose enough that I could wear my summer mesh jacket under it (for protection) and still stay warm in the winter using the duster as a wind barrier. You can get them with an oilskin hood and an insertable liner.

Here's one I was thinking of: [The Tasman]

'Sides... They're way cool looking!
Don't you know it's impossible to look cool on a Goldwing.

·
Registered
624 Posts
The 340 Plymouth "Duster" was pretty quick.:agree: Do they still make them?:cop2:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Yep, I believe I did see a guy on a wing wearing a Duster once. Sure was an eyecatcher...think it was a early model 1800 with two blown seals, 30" Ape hangars, two 6 shooters strapped to his LD Comfort tights and Quebec plates. I wonder what ever happened to that guy.:22yikes:
He told you it wasnt blown seals--justa little ice cream from the shop across the street!!!!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Id opt for Gerbings under Textile, warmer, not as flappy.

But when you think about a Swiffer Duster may be faster.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Haven't tried it on the Wing yet..., down here in Florida, it's too cold if I have to wear a long-sleeved t-shirt... :D

But I do have a Dry-za-bone full length job that I used to wear on the Valkyrie and Intruder. Dont know what brand you have in mind, but with mine (bought it at JR's in Statesville, NC, of all places, a few years ago), you can get a nice insulated liner for those real cold daze.

When you ride, wear what makes YOU feel comfortable. Dont worry about all the naysayers. I love looking at some of the outfits THEY wear that they think is totally practical and functional. I saw one guy on his Wing one day, with one of those puffy white rain suits on, and he looked just like Bip the Michelin Man. :D

Wear what you like, and enjoy your riding. People ride and wear things for different reasons. Dont let anyone try to tell you that their preference is any better than yours.

A duster? Sure..., why not. It'll keep you dry and it'll keep you warm..., and maybe some of those folks who ride that OTHER kind of bike will regard you as a motorcycle-riding enthusiast, rather than a banana-split-eating dork.

Have a blast..., and have a beer... :capwin:

Right on my friend! I happened to look up the same question, I just bought a Honda Magna VF750 C and don't have the cash for a new leather jacket but I do own a oil skin duster and figured what the hell if its safe, not concerned how I look, read a lot of negativity on this simple question, and most are concerned that it would look silly, strange coming from grown men, concerned what others would think 🤣 in any case enjoyed reading your responses & if you see someone on a Red Magna with a duster on it just may well be me!! 😁
Be safe my friend & Enjoy the ride!! ... \m/

·
Administrator
368 Posts
Right on my friend! I happened to look up the same question, I just bought a Honda Magna VF750 C and don't have the cash for a new leather jacket but I do own a oil skin duster and figured what the hell if its safe, not concerned how I look, read a lot of negativity on this simple question, and most are concerned that it would look silly, strange coming from grown men, concerned what others would think 🤣 in any case enjoyed reading your responses & if you see someone on a Red Magna with a duster on it just may well be me!! 😁
Be safe my friend & Enjoy the ride!! ... \m/
You revived a twelve year old thread. The last response before your post was 9 years ago. The member you quoted has not been active on this board for over 4 years. You may not get an answer from him if you're looking for one.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Carp on a hog, no less. Sounds like the Texas pigfish. Supposedly tastes a little like bacon, and spreading like crazy.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Do you choose what you wear for the comfort/protective value or for other people to look and admire you? Both have a place, I guess. I can't imagine wearing something as silly as a duster on a motorcycle unless you are focusing on being a spectacle for others to look at and admire (or laugh). I never quite understood those that are obsessed with color coordinating their riding clothes with their motorcycle color, or having a helmet that perfectly matches the color of their jacket or their bike for that matter. I have several jackets that I wear depending on the ambient temperature. A sturdy, armored textile jacket with zip in lining for colder weather, a new mesh jacket with moderate airflow for warmer but not hot weather, and a Klim Induction jacket for protection and maximum airflow when the temps get above about 85 degrees. And I have an older leather jacket, no armor, that just feels good to ride but I only use it on short rides where I feel I can take my chances without armor protection. All of my jackets, other than the leather one, are also highly visible and quite often clash with the color of my bike and my helmets but that might actually help make me more visible to smart phone-obsessed car and truck drivers.

FWIW, I always get a good laugh when I see riders clearly dressed in ways intended to impress other people in one way or another. Such as wearing the half helmets that do little good at all in a crash and resemble a German WWII military helmet. What message are those riders really trying to send? That they admire the Nazis? That wearing such a helmet makes them look really tough? But I give a little slack to those that dress in a funny way just as a means of bringing smiles to those around them, like the guy who I used to see riding around Milwaukee in the '90's in a swim suit and a cape.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts