GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading down to S.C. to pick up my new silver '07 base model this weekend. For $16.8K couldn't pass it up! But..... for $2K more I could get the same color but with heated grips,seat and nav. My S.O. tends to get cold easier than me and with almost no wind protection and my lousy sense of direction, I may " bite the bullet" and plunk down another $2K to upgrade. If Honda still had the premium & comfort package as they did in '06 for an extra $500, that's a no brainer, but another TWO GRAND! Uggg! I'd just hate to find that I should have upgraded when I bought new. :banghead:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Steve,

Just bite the bullet and go for the Nav/ABS w/heat. I bought an '06 ABS back in June and now have over 7k miles...6 months old yesterday. I'm in VA but have had the opportunity to ride when it's 45 degrees and the grips are the cat's meow. Wife thoroughly enjoys the heated seat. IMO, it makes riding much more pleasant as the temps fall. I have some Harley friends that are buying Gerbings, but if you don't have the gear with you, you can't use it. The grips/heated seat are always there just waiting for you to turn on the knob...grips are nice even as the temperature rises up into the mid 50's. ABS, even if never activated, allows you to really get down on the brakes hard without the fear of locking up a wheel.

Good luck with your decision.

Jim

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You'd be silly to bump up to the GPS, and not go for the ABS.

Either get the stripped one, or go all the way.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Steve, you don't have where you are from, so I don't know for sure if it would be to your benefit to have heated seats and grips, but IMHO I would certainly go for the heated grips and seat option and probably the ABS too! If you are paying for it monthly, whats it going to cost... $2-3 bucks a month more? If you are paying cash then if you need them they are there, if you don't need them, you will get a better resale value for that bike. I certainly know my SO would really appreciate having them on our bike and they will be on the next one.

Shadow1
Hal

·
Registered
38 Posts
My wife really likes her heated seat, I do too. That plus the abs and yes even the gps I think are worthwhile.
Bill
Titanium 06

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just updated my profile. I'm just 2 min. north of Northeast Philadelphia,PA. I hate riding in the cold more than riding in the rain. The more I think about it the heated seat and grips themselves make A LOT of sense in this area. Still tough to justify an extra $1500 for nav. though. I'm putting a few thousand down and financing the rest. I'll be selling my '04 silver 919 this Spring and put that towards it. No matter which model I do pick, I'm looking forward to owning my first new Wing in almost 10 years!

·
Registered
9,115 Posts
Steve,

Living in Florida, I really didn't consider the "Comfort" option when I got my '06 in March. I agree with the earlier statement, go all the way, or go with the base model. When I started out, I thought I wanted the Nav version, but I'm SO glad I got the base model and added the Garmin 2730. Much better GPS and it's portable.

I really wish Honda would make ABS standard on all the bikes and charge more.

Good luck with the new ride and dress warm if you're riding it home. IT's going to get cold down this way this weekend. If you're picking your bike up from Honda of Sumter, say hello to Ted for all of us who have bought from him. He's a nice guy and has a great dealership.

Bartman

·
Registered
806 Posts
SO loves her heated seat, don't think she would let me buy another bike if it didn't have it. She uses it on early morning rides and late evening rides even in the summer. She is more game to go for a ride now even if it's a little cool outside. And if momma is happy everybody is happy, do it for her.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
$2,000 more for the Comfort Package AND the NAV is a good deal. The NAV alone was $2,000 (retail) on a 2006 model. And I agree with those saying to spring for the ABS too. It's probably another $900-$1,000 but with that price for Comfort/NAV you might get an even better deal. It will help with resale as well because it seems more and more people won't even consider buying without ABS.

·
Registered
20,954 Posts
my next wing will have ABS ! i am on my second 1800 without ABS but won't make that mistake again, in a little over 200,000 i have locked the 1800 wheels twice without serious consequences but have learned how quick and easy it can happen, by the time u realize whats happening it could very easilly b to late
already have heated grips and they are GREAT ! can hardly wait to try a heated seat

·
Registered
322 Posts
Gl1800 w/ABS

I am very pleased with my 07 ABS model. I love the comfort package and I love the Navi system. It has it's limitations but it does a great job, it's always there if you need it and if your like I am with a bad sense of direction, I wouldnt want to leave home without it. I have a seperate Garmin that I used on the handle bar of my last bike but this display is brighter and larger. Yes, it's expensive but worth it IMO.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Good luck with the new ride and dress warm if you're riding it home. IT's going to get cold down this way this weekend. If you're picking your bike up from Honda of Sumter, say hello to Ted for all of us who have bought from him. He's a nice guy and has a great dealership."

Bartman[/quote]

I've talked to Ted once today & once yesterday. He seems so easy to deal with, no B.S. about him. To someone from up north, his "good 'ol boy" thick southern accent caught me off guard at first! I told him today to put a sold tag on a comfort with nav silver '07. With ordering a new '07 Chevy Monte Carlo SS a couple weeks ago, this "mid-life" crisus thing is getting a bit expensive for a lowly body man! Gonna be tough not riding the new Wing much until it's decent out this Spring. Sorry, even with a Wing and heated accessories, I'm not into riding when it's much below 50 degrees. :roll: I'll post pics a.s.a.p.
cheers all, Steve & Deb

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Steve & Deb,

Good luck to both of you. I am sure that you made the decision that is right for you.

Bulldog

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
If I could have bought ABS without the NAV I would have. I think the Navi is a waste of $2,000. Much more functionality out of a $799 Garmin.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
BigBird05 said:
If I could have bought ABS without the NAV I would have. I think the Navi is a waste of $2,000. Much more functionality out of a $799 Garmin.
But a smaller screen and not integrated - more "clutter" on the handlebars. Personal preference - whatever works.

Congratulations Steve and Deb! 8)

·
Registered
238 Posts
dtbmjax - aka Bartman said:
Steve,

Living in Florida, I really didn't consider the "Comfort" option when I got my '06 in March. I agree with the earlier statement, go all the way, or go with the base model. When I started out, I thought I wanted the Nav version, but I'm SO glad I got the base model and added the Garmin 2730. Much better GPS and it's portable.

I really wish Honda would make ABS standard on all the bikes and charge more.

Good luck with the new ride and dress warm if you're riding it home. IT's going to get cold down this way this weekend. If you're picking your bike up from Honda of Sumter, say hello to Ted for all of us who have bought from him. He's a nice guy and has a great dealership.

Bartman
I agree with you Bartman, I have a 2004 Non-ABS and with the current offering I'm not willing to bite the bullet for the NAV just to get the ABS, but if they had the ABS as standard I would consider trading. As it is, I'm keeping what I've got until there are significant changes (like 2000 to 2001 models).

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I made contact with 1 brother-in-law, 2 friends, and one customer/friend/high school girlfriend in hopes of borrowing a vehicle to use to tow my open cycle trailer and pick up my new Wing. I sold my '06 Tundra only a few weeks ago :( . So, until my former tow vehicle is fully road worthy again ( a totaled '95 Buick wagon), I need to borrow or rent a vehicle to tow with. I got B.S. excuses from all my "friends" and brother -in-law as to why I couldn't use their vehicle. RATS! I called Ted and he said my Wing was assembled today as he expected me tomorrow to pick it up. I was hoping that since I was fully approved for the entire amount they could hold it for 2-3 weeks until I fix my Buick. He was very understanding and said "no problem". Whew! At least this motivates me to finish the repair on my 'ol friend. Stay tuned..........
Steve

·
Banned
8,220 Posts
We had an '05 with a Garmin 2720 that we used on 2 trips last year, 5,600+ miles. We found the ability to plan our trips with MapSource and download them to the GPS was invaluable. Without that ability, the Navi is useless for touring. Good for finding a restaurant or gas in a strange town I guess.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts