GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for riding suites for me and the misses. I'm not a racer, just looking for something easy to wear that offers an extra layer of protection and padding. The Olympia Stealth suite is about half the price of the AeroStich and perhaps 1/3 the price of the Motoport. That gets my attention. I've also heard the thicker suites may be too hot for summer riding (like the killer heat we're having here in North Carolina in late July).

Have any of you used the Olympia suite? Any feedback you would like to offer? I don't need "The Best," but I hate spending ANY money on something if it won't do the job.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/stealth/stealth.htm

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I watched the video presentation, not sure I would buy it for $299. I think there are a lot better 3 season combo jacket and pant options out there for that kind of money, although, I think olympia is pretty good stuff.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Something to think about:

A friend bought a 1 piece Olympia riding suit and loved it. After the first year, he did not wear the suit very often. He explained it was inconvenient at stops, like a restaurant, etc because he had to take the entire suit off each time, then put it back on when he was ready to ride again.

He since went to the Olympia jacket and pants, and he said they zip together for 1-piece safety. Now he just takes his jacket off during rest stops.

I suspect your riding habits may guide you with what purchase to make. I have Olympia products and love them. My wife and I both have Olympia jackets, and I also have the Olympia "Airglide" mesh pants. They are very good quality.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Here's my feedback...

The "suit" looks GAY, not that there is anything wrong with that. :22yikes:

This suit isn't going to do much to save your arse if you go down, assuming that's what you're looking for, something to save you.

500 denier Cordura has about a 22lb tear rating. You go down on asphalt, this suit won't do anything be help create a bigger mess.

If you're looking for a suit and you don't want to pay for Kevlar, then 1000 denier Cordura is the MINIMUM you should consider. It has a 110lb tear rating. Kevlar is over rated for over 1200lbs.

Check out the Motoport website and educate yourself and get some real protection. And read the Save Your Hide section. My two cents.

But then, if you like the "suite," go for it. :bow:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have one

Got one in high vise yellow. Used it once in temps in the high 90's. Had to take t shirt out from underneath. Euro cut doesn't fit stocky poeple real well. Notice guy in the video is under nurished. Picked mine up at a good price cause I work at a dealership. It hangs in the closet I wasn't that impressed with it for the price. They didn't sell well, so we don't carry them anymore.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Something to think about:

I have Olympia products and love them. My wife and I both have Olympia jackets, and I also have the Olympia "Airglide" mesh pants. They are very good quality.
:agree: I have the same setup as well and like both jacket and pants very much.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Here's my feedback...

This suit isn't going to do much to save your arse if you go down, assuming that's what you're looking for, something to save you.

500 denier Cordura has about a 22lb tear rating. You go down on asphalt, this suit won't do anything be help create a bigger mess.

If you're looking for a suit and you don't want to pay for Kevlar, then 1000 denier Cordura is the MINIMUM you should consider. It has a 110lb tear rating. Kevlar is over rated for over 1200lbs.

Check out the Motoport website and educate yourself and get some real protection. And read the Save Your Hide section. My two cents.

100% correct. Damn good advise, especially on reading "Save Your Hide". If after reading "Save Your Hide", you still want to go cheap at least you made an informed choice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Aero stitch

Here's my feedback...

Interesting that you talk of heavier cordura in an aerostitch suit. I was at their factory in Duluth this week and every article of clothing hanging in the showroom was 500 Cordura. Do you have to special order the "good stuff"? :shrug:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I've got the AST jacket and Ranger pants set up from Olympia and they work quite well. The big gripe I've heard about the one piece is that it has the "Velcro from Hell" on it. It tends to hang up on itself and it a PIB when donning/doffing the suit. In hot weather I personally want OUT of the jacket when I stop...

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have the Phantom and a friend has the Stealth. Primarily to wear over business clothing, get to work, strip off suit, done. Not great in hot weather or if you want to pull on and off frequently. Olympia runs small especially with the insulator in.

·
Registered
9,112 Posts
Interesting that you talk of heavier cordura in an aerostitch suit. I was at their factory in Duluth this week and every article of clothing hanging in the showroom was 500 Cordura. Do you have to special order the "good stuff"? :shrug:
I never mentioned heavier cordura in an aerostitch suit. I believe I stated the following:

"If you're looking for a suit and you don't want to pay for Kevlar, then 1000 denier Cordura is the MINIMUM you should consider. It has a 110lb tear rating. Kevlar is over rated for over 1200lbs."

Doesn't matter where you buy it. 1000 denier Cordura is the MINIMUM you should consider PERIOD (without going to Kevlar).

As far as getting the "good stuff," I would say yes, it has to be special ordered. When I ordered my pants, they custom made them for me, to fit ME! You can find out all about their products on their website.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
You get what you pay for in a suit. For sure Aerostich Roadcrafter is a great suit. You can watch for their sale items and eventually your size will come up for $600-$700 if the $900 is too much. The roadcrafter uses 500 denier material too, but even that works fine. I "tested" mine in a 30mph slide a few months ago on one of my old motorcycles, and after I brushed off the dirt and mud and got home I was more pissed off I ruined my suit than beat up my 33yr old KZ650, but after cleaning off all the dirt, you can't even tell it was scuffed anywhere, so it did a fine job. Of course 30mph is not a road crash though. There seems to be different quality cordora too. I got an unlined Darien jacket and my wife got a Cortec that both use 500 denier. I can just about roll that Cortec up into a 6" ball, where the Darien is pretty stout. No way in heck these use the same exact material. Looking at this Olympia suit, it looks pretty light duty by the picures of it, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
When I ordered my pants, they custom made them for me, to fit ME!
that's my problem with spending that kind of money for custom made gear - there are multiple versions of me over any given time period.

My weight easily fluctuates 10-15 lbs year to year, and even season to season during some years.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Say What?

Bartman, Thank you for taking time to reply and for the very interesting link (thanks, also, to everyone else). Looking at the data, however, shows me something very different from what you see.

As I read it, cotton jeans might handle 4.5# of pressure for 50 cycles. I wear jeans almost all the time. If I move up to the 500 denier cordura, I get coverage that might protect me from 22# of pressure for 710 cycles. Granted this is nowhere near the protection I could get from leather or 1,000 denier cordura, but it is still 4-5 times stronger than denim and will handle 14 times as many cycles at that level.

I would still want to try the suit on before buying it, but the data shows the Olympia suit offers WAY more protection than jeans and a denim jacket.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I have the Olympia Air Glide 3 jacket which is constructed of 500 denier Cordura. I ride daily in 100+ tempatures and have no problems with the jacket. The 3 piece design makes for more flexable use as I can add just the layers I need.

FYI the Toxic color pattern is very visiable..

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Bartman, Thank you for taking time to reply and for the very interesting link (thanks, also, to everyone else). Looking at the data, however, shows me something very different from what you see.

As I read it, cotton jeans might handle 4.5# of pressure for 50 cycles. I wear jeans almost all the time. If I move up to the 500 denier cordura, I get coverage that might protect me from 22# of pressure for 710 cycles. Granted this is nowhere near the protection I could get from leather or 1,000 denier cordura, but it is still 4-5 times stronger than denim and will handle 14 times as many cycles at that level.

I would still want to try the suit on before buying it, but the data shows the Olympia suit offers WAY more protection than jeans and a denim jacket.
You are correct, 500 denier cordura will offer greater protection than Jeans and a denim jacket but jeans and a denim jacket isn't much better than riding neked....only advantage jeans have over nothing at all is they will keep you from being arrested :).

Everyone has to decide how much risk they can live with, if you are informed and decide to risk it, your choice. Where I have problems is with gear that is sold as protection like light weight riding suits and "fashion leather" but will rip apart at the seams or wear through and leave you sliding on skin.

I spent most of my adult life training for and practicing "what ifs", many of which happened at one time or another but I never knew in advance that they would. Get offs are the same way, you don't know when they will happen and when they do I don't want to be sliding down the pavement wishing I had spent a couple of dollars more for a good riding suit. Once you know there is something better there is no excuse for using inferior safety gear other than "Hey, I'm bullet proof, it'll never happen to me".

·
Registered
75 Posts
riding gear

I never mentioned heavier cordura in an aerostitch suit. I believe I stated the following:

"If you're looking for a suit and you don't want to pay for Kevlar, then 1000 denier Cordura is the MINIMUM you should consider. It has a 110lb tear rating. Kevlar is over rated for over 1200lbs."

Doesn't matter where you buy it. 1000 denier Cordura is the MINIMUM you should consider PERIOD (without going to Kevlar).

As far as getting the "good stuff," I would say yes, it has to be special ordered. When I ordered my pants, they custom made them for me, to fit ME! You can find out all about their products on their website.
I am not trying to start an argument with you but I tend to over analyze things. I ride ATGATT so we can get that discussion out of the way right away. I do not kid myself into thinking that my gear is going to save my life in a collision. Where I "think" it will make a big difference is when I am sliding down the road. Here in lies the question. What percentage of accidents actually involve a collision with a vehicle vs. losing control and putting the bike into a slide? Isn't some mid level 500 Cordura gear better than nothing?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
The Aerostich catalog covers the advantage of the different materials. I assume the web site does, too.

Hector

I am not trying to start an argument with you but I tend to over analyze things. I ride ATGATT so we can get that discussion out of the way right away. I do not kid myself into thinking that my gear is going to save my life in a collision. Where I "think" it will make a big difference is when I am sliding down the road. Here in lies the question. What percentage of accidents actually involve a collision with a vehicle vs. losing control and putting the bike into a slide? Isn't some mid level 500 Cordura gear better than nothing?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Olympia = great customer service

I highly recommend the Olympia GT Air jacket and x-moto pants. The jacket and pants come with rain liners, and the jacket also comes with a winter liner. I have used the jacket from low 30's to mid 90's and it worked out well. I followed Bubba's hot weather riding advice (LDComfort tights and long sleeve shirt, Olympia jacket and pants) on a ride from NC to PA over the July 4th holiday. If I started getting hot I poured water in my sleeve vents and I had instant AC. You actually get the chills, and it was 94 degrees at the time. Also, I had a few bottles of frozen water and I unzipped the front vents, dropped one bottle down each side and zipped things back up. That alone kept me cool for a few hours. Once that quit cooling I used those bottles of water to pour into the sleeve vents. I was very surprised at how good I felt after a 9 hour ride. BTW, that was my first long (if you can call 9 hours long) ride.

As for customer services, I had a small issue with the pants. Called Olympia directly and left a message. Four hours later they called back. I explained the problem, Eric said mail them back and we'll take a look, at no cost to me. They emailed me a Fedex mailing label. I dropped them off on Friday at the local Fedex store, saw they got them on Monday according to the tracking info. I thought I would call them on Tuesday to verify they got them and to see if they had any other questions. I got busy at work and never got around to calling them. When I got home from work on Tuesday evening the replacement pair was at my front door. Now that is what I call customer service!

Paul

1 - 19 of 19 Posts