GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
they say life is short well after yesterday i can definitely agree. i just wanted to put this out as a general tid bit to all. yesterday morning as i was riding to work on my wing when out of no where i hit a cow at 70 mph and lived to share it. when i hit the cow i just clipped in the side of the head instead of head on six more inches to left and i would not be typing this to you all today. needless to say my beautiful wing will be going to the shop to be made whole again. she suffered damage to the left mirror assembley( it's not there anymore) left part of fairing cracked, clutch lever toast, and whatever else the insurance man finds. i consider myself extremely fortunate it very easiley been much worse i thank my guardian angle for that. this will not stop me from getting on the road again as soon my wing is made whole again. enjoy the road fellow wingers after all life is too short enjoy every bit of the open road,go wings!

·
Registered
928 Posts
The scoot can be fixed, glad you are OK. Buy a lottery ticket!! Had to be a real pucker factor few seconds.

Ride Safely

Crabby Bob :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
YIKES! :eek:4:

It sounds like you actually never went down. If so, congratulations on a good job keeping her upright.

Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Good Karma

Would definitely be a huge difference in hitting a 1000 pound cow vs a 250 deer...may as well hit a VW. Sounds like you managed to keep the bike upright..Glad you came through unscathed....

·
Registered
5,626 Posts
Glad your OK after that incident!!

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Was it raining cows? Where did the cow come from? Did the cow survive?

The only thing I could think to do if i came upon a cow at 70 mph, "Our Father..."

On an even lighter note, what did the insurance agent say when you told him you hit a cow?

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
what did the insurance agent say when you told him you hit a cow?
Where's the Beef?

Glad you're ok...

·
Registered
994 Posts
That is NOT

how we do "cow tipping" in this part of Ohio...!

Glad you made it through. How's the cow? In your freezer?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Why were you going 70 MPH in a cow pasture ??? :shrug:
Scott got caught between the cow and some ole BULL!! :shock:

Glad you made it without serious injury.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Does the responsibility of the accident belong to the owner of the cow? Hit a deer and it's a different story, but that cow has no reason to be on the road. I would think that farmer would be responsible. Unless of course you were in his pasture, then that poor ole cow is going to be calling those lawyers you see on tv, with wip lash and all sorts of pain and suffering.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
My Daddy hit a mule with a 58 Ford Fairlane. Totaled the car and the mule. How long after the accident were you able to pass gas. And I wrenched when some turkeys took off up in front of us.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
Does the responsibility of the accident belong to the owner of the cow? Hit a deer and it's a different story, but that cow has no reason to be on the road. I would think that farmer would be responsible. Unless of course you were in his pasture, then that poor ole cow is going to be calling those lawyers you see on tv, with wip lash and all sorts of pain and suffering.
I concur about the Liability! Deductable paid by owner of the grazer

·
IronMan
17,463 Posts
glad your ok. as far as bike make sure stay ( inner frame is still straight ) not heavy metal n gets bent easy - look over bike good when fixed !! good luck .

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Why were you going 70 MPH in a cow pasture ??? :shrug:
I overheard this on the CB back in 1985:

Hey Joe, ya hear that Bill called Dispatch today and told them he hit a cow?

No, what happened?

Well dispatch told Bill to get the name of the farmer so they could work out the details of the cow and truck. Bill said there is one complication.... The cow was in the barn at the time.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I overheard this on the CB back in 1985:

Hey Joe, ya hear that Bill called Dispatch today and told them he hit a cow?

No, what happened?

Well dispatch told Bill to get the name of the farmer so they could work out the details of the cow and truck. Bill said there is one complication.... The cow was in the barn at the time.

Should have been easy to get the name of the farmer, then.

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
Glad you're OK. Better throw your underwear away.....they'll never come clean. ;)

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Not everyone can claim they hit a Cow.

I would get a tattoo or something.........:lol:

Glad you are OK, a cow is kinda big..............

·
Registered
924 Posts
wth.....I lived in moose elk, deer and caribou and bison country all my life it seems.....I only had one incident when I was even remotely close to hitting a cow moose and it was at twilight in the the rain driving into the sun heading back to the yukon around pink mountain.

It was slick so i reduced my speed considerably becuase of the conditions.......I saw something in my periferal so I automatically slowed down and got a look and her she was coming......I pulled the clutch - blurped the throttle and eased the clutch out while applying a bit of front brake.....went from 90 kms to 30 in a matter of feet and she was there standing in the middle of the road like she was standing on ice trying to run...all eyeballs and a$$hole.

She stayed in my lane so I continued to slow....then she finally start running ahead of me with her back legs trying hard to kick at me and keep her balance...quite the show actually.

Then I got stopped and she wandered off the road.......I was more worried about the truck that was behind me running me over by this time.

So what I am saying is this......if your going to drive fast you better be scanning everywhere....glad your ok...jer

PS - you should drive in the middle east...JUST ONCE......it will take 5 years off your life even in a truck little lone a bike.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
In Utah and some other states I believe, have what they call "Open Range" laws. Basically means if you hit any livestock, cows, sheep, horses, it's your fault, doesn't matter if they broke the fence or somebody left the gate open.

http://ag.utah.gov/animal/animal-identification/36-animals/287-auto-livestock-collisions.html

1 - 20 of 27 Posts