GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever put ape hanger handlebars on there wing?

·
Registered
246 Posts
:wrong:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Well, now I gotta say I've seen what I would call apes riding wings but never have I seen one on a hanger. ;)

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Aren't the chinese handlebar risers all the guys add apehangers? Yes no use in them at all, but no convincing them any more than the harley guys.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
There was a guy locally that had them on an 1100 Wing . . . .

Unfortunately, he wiped out in a rainstorm and hit a median (end of divided pavement) sign and died.

I always wondered it the ape hangers had something to do with his accident. They were tall.:shrug:

·
Registered
3,682 Posts
Hey don't laugh a wing with 16 inch apes with a tulsa tall shield utopia backrest and a set of mick o pegs man that would be like your in your favorite recliner lounge setting at home bloody awesome :yes1::yes1:

Cheers :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Mark, is this the look you're looking for ? :eek:4:

·
Registered
514 Posts
Well Fluke,

before I put the risers on my back would ache after 50 miles. No more ache now, no matter how many miles. Certainly better than ape=hangers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I was riding in the cage the other day and my mind was wondering!:shrug::lol:
The cage will do that to you. The Wing just puts a smile on your face even when smelling a hog farm.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Rocket Man
1,556 Posts
why?????????????????

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have never understood the whole Ape Hanger thing. And the Extreme version's like pictured above. Not only look, way beyond crazy. They are illegal and very unsafe. At Sturgis, they are really cracking down on them too. In South Dakota, if your hand's are higher than your shoulders, it's illegal. Lot's of ticket's have been handed out the last few time's I've been there. Especially around the Buffalo Chip/Full Throttle Saloon area. Can't even imagine them on a Goldwing.

·
Registered
19,052 Posts
Texas regulates the height of handlebars as do many states. To me, ape hangers are the most ridiculous thing you can do to a bike:joke:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree that a high set of ape hangers are dangerous and look stupid, especially those near or above the shoulders. But when you drive your car think about where your hands are located. I'll bet that they will be about chest high. Same as a short set of ape hangers. Ape hanger type bars, on some bikes, can be helpful to rider comfort. I'm talking about a set that comes up somewhere around the chest area and no higher than the nipples. as always JMHO.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I can't see a reason for them, my son and X-son in law have them on their road king's (16" apes) and love them, they say they are really comfortable. A lady turned left in front of my son and totaled out his road king so we found a great 06 Harley ultra classic that he bought, he rode it for about 4 months with the stock bars but now he has put apes on it but I haven't seen it with the apes on it yet.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts