GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not a fan of the OEM GPS for Honda, Ford, or Toyota. They are all aggravating compared to Garmin.

But I updated to an iPhone 11 Pro the other day and without any actions on my part other than plugging in the phone, Car Play showed up on my Sync3 screen in the truck.

I had no idea how much nicer and more intuitive it is than the Ford system.

The GW is next, but if it works like the truck, I will be a very happy camper. I wish I’d been open minded enough to try it two months ago.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I am not a fan of the OEM GPS for Honda, Ford, or Toyota. They are all aggravating compared to Garmin.

But I updated to an iPhone 11 Pro the other day and without any actions on my part other than plugging in the phone, Car Play showed up on my Sync3 screen in the truck.

The GW is next, but if it works like the truck, I will be a very happy camper. I wish I’d been open minded enough to try it two months ago.
We rented a 18 Wing a couple of weeks ago for a day in the mountains. I have an iPhone 6 and am used to Car Play in our Mazda so within a few miles of leaving the dealership we were using the Honda's audio and navigation through our Sena headsets. It helped that we were used to it from the car. As long as I used the protocol of first start bike, second power up Sena's, only then plugging in the phone it was easy as pie. BR-549 helped me with this set-up.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,581 Posts
I finally had a chance to plug an iPhone into my wing for the first time and wow...I didn't know what I was missing.
My high-end Android phone is pretty nice and it does everything the iPhone does when it's in your hand, but it offers nothing but phone calls with the Gold Wing... the iPhone lets you use all the potential that is there with the Gold Wings electronics and I want that.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
i finally had a chance to plug an iphone into my wing for the first time and wow...i didn't know what i was missing.
My high-end android phone is pretty nice and it does everything the iphone does when it's in your hand, but it offers nothing but phone calls with the gold wing... The iphone lets you use all the potential that is there with the gold wings electronics and i want that.
finally! Lol

·
Registered
110 Posts

Just so you know, the OEM GPS system in my 2018 Honda Ridgeline is a Garmin system. The GPS screen looks just like a Garmin NUVI screen and the way you interface with the GPS is like any other Garmin Nuvi, but it wont show vehicle speed. I guess Honda wants you to go by what the speedometer says and not the GPS.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like the Applecar play too but only in a limited way. I activate it for Waze mostly. I may put on some music through Spotify or Google Play Music but that's it. The downside is the UI is dumbed down to almost nothing when in motion. For example, you can only change music (forward, back, volume up/down). I guess it's for "safety" (and most likely for liability reasons).

Because it's so quirky; sometimes, I just leave the bluetooth helmet home and wear my other helmet and don't mess with it.

When it works, I like it -- just remember to follow the right sequence to get it going: helmet on, start bike, plug/unplug/unlock the iphone (as needed) until the Apple carplay menu shows up on the screen.

It does keep me company in traffic -- "hey Siri, tell me a joke." :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I like the Applecar play too but only in a limited way. I activate it for Waze mostly. I may put on some music through Spotify or Google Play Music but that's it. The downside is the UI is dumbed down to almost nothing when in motion. For example, you can only change music (forward, back, volume up/down). I guess it's for "safety" (and most likely for liability reasons).

Because it's so quirky; sometimes, I just leave the bluetooth helmet home and wear my other helmet and don't mess with it.

When it works, I like it -- just remember to follow the right sequence to get it going: helmet on, start bike, plug/unplug/unlock the iphone (as needed) until the Apple carplay menu shows up on the screen.

It does keep me company in traffic -- "hey Siri, tell me a joke." :)
i can change/seek channels/genres in sirius/xm, and go through playlists, seek song titles, albums, performers in apple music, ....all on the fly. ill have to try it on spotify. have it but dont use it

·
Registered
9,328 Posts
Just so you know, the OEM GPS system in my 2018 Honda Ridgeline is a Garmin system. The GPS screen looks just like a Garmin NUVI screen and the way you interface with the GPS is like any other Garmin Nuvi, but it wont show vehicle speed. I guess Honda wants you to go by what the speedometer says and not the GPS.
As I recall the sales associate, on the '18 & up models, the Garmin nav system was only an offering on the highest 'touring' models of the Honda automotive line.

The way it was explained...Honda believes that the older customer that's used to the in-vehicle GPS systems would spend the $$$ for this. Younger, or more tech-savvy customers really would prefer to have Car Play or Android Auto instead.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i can change/seek channels/genres in sirius/xm, and go through playlists, seek song titles, albums, performers in apple music, ....all on the fly. ill have to try it on spotify. have it but dont use it
I don't have Sirius on the Goldwing but do have the Sirius/XM app on my iphone -- is that what you mean in being able to change Sirius/XM channels while moving? I think I'm able to select one of those genre stations on the Sirius/XM app in Apple Carplay and then just move to the next song while the bike is moving (using the left bar thumb control). I never tried to change the station but may try it sometime.

One thing I've started doing is getting off on exit ramps, stopping as needed at the stop sign, changing what I need, and then getting back onto the highway. I'm careful that there's no one waiting behind me.

Dennis

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I don't have Sirius on the Goldwing but do have the Sirius/XM app on my iphone -- is that what you mean in being able to change Sirius/XM channels while moving? I think I'm able to select one of those genre stations on the Sirius/XM app in Apple Carplay and then just move to the next song while the bike is moving (using the left bar thumb control). I never tried to change the station but may try it sometime.

One thing I've started doing is getting off on exit ramps, stopping as needed at the stop sign, changing what I need, and then getting back onto the highway. I'm careful that there's no one waiting behind me.

Dennis
yes. thats the safer way. but im too ig'nant. lol

i have sirius/xm on my cars and use the phone app on the bike. i can change stations, go to/through the channel list, genre list, everything on the fly. same goes with my apple music. full functionality

1 - 10 of 10 Posts