GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My take on a solution to Apple Carplay not launching 100% of the time.
For those with a 6th gen wing who utilize Apple Carplay you know that from time to time it won’t open when it’s supposed to, usually requiring you to disconnect and then reconnect the phone.
Not a big deal but fumbling around with a small plug with gloves on can be a pain.
Here’s what I came up with:
An inline USB switch between the lightning connector and the bike so when the app won’t launch, just flip the switch off, wait a beat, flip it back on and bingo/bango connected!
If you’re going to give this one a try, make sure you get a switch that will support data transfer, or it won’t work.

Attachments

·
Registered
412 Posts
Throw some links in about what your setup is (where you got it) I'm interested in the mount and the switch.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Interesting idea -- thanks. I bought a similar switch from Amazon to hook up to my external GPS because I don't have switched power and got tired of plugging/unplugging the GPS at stops.

I've been unplugging by leaving the plug just a little bit inside the GPS (so that's it's easy to plug it back in without looking) but I think I burned something by doing this a lot and maybe I pulled the plugged out just enough that there was a small amount of current and maybe it burned up the connector inside. The GPS no longer detects the charger and won't charge. It's pretty old and cheap and I had an old spare handy.

Dennis

·
Registered
175 Posts
I found that on my 2018 GWT6, CarPlay will connect 100% of the time if I do the following in this exact order (Using iPhone 8+ with Bluetooth on):

1. Start bike, wait until Nav screen fully initializes.
2. Turn on Neotec 2 Sena SRL, wait until helmet says it's paired and appropriate icons display on GW dash. Interesting that sometimes helmet reports "media connected", sometimes it reports "phone connected", but regardless...it works either way...
3. Examine phone, if it is displaying that I won't receive alerts while driving, indicate that I'm not driving.
4. Plug iPhone 8+ into 6" Apple cord connected to USB cord in cubby.
5. Wait for dash to display that CarPlay is connected.

I've never had this method fail on my bike.

·
15 year Member
6,899 Posts
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^

been my EXACT experience

Mattbcnv

Reactions: tclhb

·
Registered
220 Posts
Also, make sure that Bluetooth on your iPhone is turned OFF before you plug it into the USB. And also make sure that your phone is NOT paired with the bike. Only your headset. I'm fairly convinced that leaving it on causes massive confusion with the bike, phone, headset interface. I've had much better luck so far after I started doing this. But we'll see. Bluetooth is IMHO an extremely primitive technological system, that has been foisted on the general public WAY before prime time.

Also, go thru your audio settings menu and make sure that the phone instead of ipod is selected, and that apple car play is selected on. I know this seems obvious, but after ACP working correctly finally for a while and then stopping, for some reason these settings changed on me. Maybe because of a battery disconnect during farkle installation, but unsure.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I found that on my 2018 GWT6, CarPlay will connect 100% of the time if I do the following in this exact order (Using iPhone 8+ with Bluetooth on):

1. Start bike, wait until Nav screen fully initializes.
2. Turn on Neotec 2 Sena SRL, wait until helmet says it's paired and appropriate icons display on GW dash. Interesting that sometimes helmet reports "media connected", sometimes it reports "phone connected", but regardless...it works either way...
3. Examine phone, if it is displaying that I won't receive alerts while driving, indicate that I'm not driving.
4. Plug iPhone 8+ into 6" Apple cord connected to USB cord in cubby.
5. Wait for dash to display that CarPlay is connected.

I've never had this method fail on my bike.
Thanks .. this helped. I've now noticed if you DON'T do the above, it sets the bike back to ipod mode instead of carplay. Apparently if the gold wing thinks no headset is attached... Poor implementation in my opinion. I should have to do the "bluetooth dance" To get this stuff to work on a factory bluetooth bike. Plus the 3-4 minute wait while everything comes up.

Since the original poster never responded. HOW ARE folks mounting their phone in the cubby. The little foam insert is kind of useless IMHO.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Thanks .. this helped. I've now noticed if you DON'T do the above, it sets the bike back to ipod mode instead of carplay. Apparently if the gold wing thinks no headset is attached... Poor implementation in my opinion. I should have to do the "bluetooth dance" To get this stuff to work on a factory bluetooth bike. Plus the 3-4 minute wait while everything comes up.

Since the original poster never responded. HOW ARE folks mounting their phone in the cubby. The little foam insert is kind of useless IMHO.
it makes sense now. when i dont ride with a helmet and plug in my phone, it goes into ipod mode and allows me to play my music. i like that.

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I am living by Drgsin's instructions and Carplaying well with other children:

1-make sure your headset is updated to the latest firmware done in the device manager. check for updates. sometimes they come from the factory with older firmware

2-reset your headset, wiping out all connections/pairings

3-delete all pairings on the bike

4-make sure car play is selected in the bike menu

5-make sure head set, not bike speakers is chosen on the bike's console

6-make sure you dont need a password or finger print to access your phone

7-make sure "allow carplay while locked" is on , on your phone. go into settings>general>car play...the connection should be usb only not turn on wifi and bluetooth

8-pair your phone to the headset, in the phone channel.

9-make sure bluetooth is off, on your phone

10-make sure all the volumes are on their highest settings in your headset
I use cardo and it has an app that i can go in and adjust settings, volume and voice activation, etc...see if sena has the same in the device manager that you need to download to your computer

11-pair your headset to the bike. i use the gps channel on the cardo not the second phone channel. im not sure how sena is set up. make sure there arent any other bluetooth devices near by

12-turn off bike and headset

13-turn on headset and wait till it cycles through

14-turn on bike and wait till the headset1 icon shows up on the screen
and the radio could be heard in the headset

15-plug an apple lightning cable to the phone. i only use an apple cord just to be sure

16-pull up the main menu on the bike and the carplay icon should come on. very rarely, i have to unplug it and plug it back in
the way the bike volumes work is that you have to adjust the volumes while that function is happening. ie...navigation volume-adjust it while the navigation voice is talking.

here are some links to videos. youtube is a great source. ifnore the firewire videos. thats for the old bikes

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+the+gold+wing
--------------------------------------------
these are from the sena website

https://www.sena.com/product/20s-evo/videos
---------------------------------------------
this is the device manager for your headset. downlosad this to your computer from here

https://www.sena.com/product/20s-evo/downloads

sometimes when i park the bike for gas and shut it off carplay wont automatically connect. i just unplug and replug in the apple cable. if that doesnt work, i would turn off the headset, the bike and unplug the cable. restart the headset, wait till it boots, turn on the bike, wait till the radio is on and then plug in the cable.

good luck.

Reactions: Drgsin

·
Registered
35 Posts
Requiring a headset to run Apple Carplay just complicates it so much that I think it's pretty bad design (I'm being kind here and have other words to describe it). A headset should not be required because you have speakers on the bike.

If they eliminated the need for a headset, and all the complicated logic (and magical steps and specific ordering required to get it to work), a big amount of quirkiness just would disappear.

Dennis

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
Its not so much the headset, it the remote microphone that is the missing variable here. It is supposed to be a hands free safety thing, but I get your drift.

prs

Reactions: Dennis in NH

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Requiring a headset to run Apple Carplay just complicates it so much that I think it's pretty bad design (I'm being kind here and have other words to describe it). A headset should not be required because you have speakers on the bike.

If they eliminated the need for a headset, and all the complicated logic (and magical steps and specific ordering required to get it to work), a big amount of quirkiness just would disappear.

Dennis
and the steps arent magical...its just a sequence. use it and itll work. no magic required

·
Registered
52 Posts
And if you only want music and GPS apps and such and already have a pair of Apple AirPods that you use they pair easy to the bike each time you turn it on. I have never had to re-pair them. It is best to wait for the AirPods to sync before plugging in the phone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts