GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
No, Did it correct itself when you turned off the bike and then back on?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, Did it correct itself when you turned off the bike and then back on?
No, it did not correct itself. Tried several times to close and open Carplay and turn the bike off and on. You can see most of the screen icons for a split second when it starts Carplay and then it just melts away. As you change apps from the phone you can see the "design" on the screen changing, so I believe the logic is working but somehow the screen sync is not. Going to the dealer today but was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Cycle power on your phone and it should go away. This is a known issue and powering off the phone has worked for many with that screen.

Reactions: Kenichi and thebroz

·
Registered
16,976 Posts
Has anybody had this happen before. Just got the bike last Thursday so this is the first time using Carplay so it's never worked.
Oh wow!, man, Far out! Like little bunnies in the flower bed eating 'schrooms. Coo'el.

prs

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A phone reboot worked. Since all the apps were actually working, just couldn't see what was going on, I thought it was the bike display somehow. Anyway all good now, thanks for the input.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had this happen a few times until I replace the USB cable.
I got the same screen and a phone reboot cleared it as others have indicated. I haven't tried to recreate the problem, but it occurred when I created a route/map in Google Maps on my iPhone before plugging into the USB. I can't with certainty recall if I hit Start before or after plugging into the USB. Didn't want to waste time recreating the problem, but it most definitely was generated when Google Maps was being used before I plugged into the USB. It appeared CarPlay couldn't handle the data being transmitted by the App and opened before CarPlay was initialized. Subsequently, I never tried to launch Google Maps before plugging into USB and have not experienced the problem again.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I got the same screen and a phone reboot cleared it as others have indicated.
I read what the others indicated and I fully understood how rebooting remedied their problem. When I rebooted my phone it continued to malfunction and so I replaced my cable and the symptom I had (screen that initially looked fine quickly would melt away everything into a blurred colorful mess) went away. So, while I don't dispute rebooting phone might solve this, for me it required a cable replacement. After replacement I re-tested the old cable with the same loss of a useful display.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got the same screen and a phone reboot cleared it as others have indicated. I haven't tried to recreate the problem, but it occurred when I created a route/map in Google Maps on my iPhone before plugging into the USB. I can't with certainty recall if I hit Start before or after plugging into the USB. Didn't want to waste time recreating the problem, but it most definitely was generated when Google Maps was being used before I plugged into the USB. It appeared CarPlay couldn't handle the data being transmitted by the App and opened before CarPlay was initialized. Subsequently, I never tried to launch Google Maps before plugging into USB and have not experienced the problem again.
It seems that the provenance of the cable can make a difference and that the USB connector wears off due to vibrations. I used to have a short Belkin cable. After heavy bumps on the road Apple CarPlay disengaged and I had to stop the bike (airbag model), open the trunk and plug in the cable again. Ultimately, Apple CarPlay disengaged even after very slight bumps. I replaced Belkin with a short Hama cable and Apple CarPlay has stayed on even when the suspension bottomed out. But I have a spare cable on board now.

·
Registered
19,236 Posts
Apple brand cables work the best

1 - 16 of 16 Posts