GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had android and i am not eager to switch my life up to have phone on bike. Hopefully in the future Honda and google will play nice together and we will get it on the bike. In the meantime my question is this. I can buy an Iphone 6 for about 140 bucks on Amazon, can i use my android as a hotspot (i have unlimited data) for the iphone and use apple car play that way? I have Sena 20s's and can connect directly to phone if needed. I could stream music through the hotspot to the iphone through the radio and speakers? Not super tech savvy but like using it if it's available. Thanks

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
316 Posts
to my knowledge, the Carplay system only checks for an iPhone connection, and not whether you have a phone carrier attached to it. Using your android phone as a modem just makes things a bit more complicated, but i think it is doable. One thing I would check is if your Hotspot data is unlimited, I know for Tmo I only get 10gigs or something. Carriers have gotten away from unlimited hotspot data, since since folks were using their phones as internet modems in their homes.

I for one, just went with Apple and got a XR. I have been android since the S3 and then went all Google. As I have gotten older, I have asked less and less of my phone. Less tweaking, customizing, hacking; and now I am fine with Apple, and like integration and simplicity.

Give it a try with the Iphone 6, you might find you like the other side of the fence (although I would recommend an 8, since it is better in every way and still relatively cheap).

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to my knowledge, the Carplay system only checks for an iPhone connection, and not whether you have a phone carrier attached to it. Using your android phone as a modem just makes things a bit more complicated, but i think it is doable. One thing I would check is if your Hotspot data is unlimited, I know for Tmo I only get 10gigs or something. Carriers have gotten away from unlimited hotspot data, since since folks were using their phones as internet modems in their homes.

I for one, just went with Apple and got a XR. I have been android since the S3 and then went all Google. As I have gotten older, I have asked less and less of my phone. Less tweaking, customizing, hacking; and now I am fine with Apple, and like integration and simplicity.

Give it a try with the Iphone 6, you might find you like the other side of the fence (although I would recommend an 8, since it is better in every way and still relatively cheap).
Thanks for the thoughts. I have looked at the Iphones and i currently have an S7 Edge and it works great and is paid for. It's not that i can't learn, it's that is it worth it just to have the apple car play on Wing?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did the same as spork and went from an Android/Google to an XR so I could use CarPlay. I really like the new phone now that I'm used to it. And CarPlay is a lot of fun. It was worth it.

Marc

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
Thanks for the thoughts. I have looked at the Iphones and i currently have an S7 Edge and it works great and is paid for. It's not that i can't learn, it's that is it worth it just to have the apple car play on Wing?
I'm with you. No Crapple for me. I think you can use an even cheaper 5S to do what your are thinking. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
I don't think one would be using any more data either way, would they?

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was just thinking, how would phone calls and texts work? They would go to your Android but how would they get to your iPhone so CarPlay would display them? Hmmm..

Marc

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah im not sure how it works and the thought of learning a new operating system does not sound fun to me. My kids have apple, **** my 76 yr old mother has it but that is all they have ever known. I didn't want to drink the koolaid and just get an apple for the 6 or so months i can ride.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd say that the features I like the most are using the built-in maps and music. If it wasn't for the apple maps, I might have my Garmin 590 strapped to the handlebars. I would say, no, it's isn't worth it just for that. I was lucky to be in an upgrade cycle (gave my S9+ to the lady), so it worked out for me, but a regular phone is fine, just get a mount, wire it up, and you're done. Most new phones are waterproof too, so its not as big of a deal as it used to be.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was just thinking, how would phone calls and texts work? They would go to your Android but how would they get to your iPhone so CarPlay would display them? Hmmm..

Marc
IMO they wouldn't, you just get a data connection for the I6, it does not function as a "phone" since it has no sim. It may be able to do messenger sort of things, since that is just data.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes you can. I borrowed an iphone 5 from my daughter and used my Galaxy S8 as a hotspot. The Carplay worked. I would have the same concerns as previously mentioned about e-mails and texts from yoyr Android to the iphone. I bought a new iphone 6s from Verizon for $120 ($5 per month) and added it to my current Verizon plan for $15 per month. I will now search for an app that will forward my Android e-mails and texts to my iphone when I am on the Wing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes you can. I borrowed an iphone 5 from my daughter and used my Galaxy S8 as a hotspot. The Carplay worked. I would have the same concerns as previously mentioned about e-mails and texts from yoyr Android to the iphone. I bought a new iphone 6s from Verizon for $120 ($5 per month) and added it to my current Verizon plan for $15 per month. I will now search for an app that will forward my Android e-mails and texts to my iphone when I am on the Wing.

Ok that's the answer i was looking for. My question is, why add to plan? Was that just to spread the 120 out? If added to your plan would't it have it's own number? Maybe im missing something?

·
Registered
19,253 Posts
Apple fan
Done the Samsung thing
sold on Apple

·
Registered
198 Posts

Ok that's the answer i was looking for. My question is, why add to plan? Was that just to spread the 120 out? If added to your plan would't it have it's own number? Maybe im missing something?
I went with the phone and adding it to my current phone plan because it was cheap and I wanted to forward my calls and text on my daily use Android phone to my iphone so I could answer the calls and have the texts read to me while riding. I don't think you can do that using a hotspot. The iphone is strictly for receiving calls and texts while riding. I could get calls with the Android connected to the bike, but not the text.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK Well in proof that big brother is listening, after talking about this with my wife an email magically appeared. I had been eligible for new phones but not in any hurry to switch but the email stated that in my market i qualified for a new Verizon plan for 55+. It is half the cost of my current plan so i went to store to check it out. After a couple hours on the phone and showing the store i was indeed 55, we decided on new Iphone XR's. After a few days with the new Iphone, i can honestly say i like it. I miss the home button but the face recognition for the lock is cool and the battery lasts all day and then some. I have not done anything with bike because winter won't let go here in Michigan but i look forward to using it on my new Wing. In the end my phone bill went up 10 bucks and my wife and I got new phones, so not an overall bad deal. Thanks

·
Registered
482 Posts
here have another glass of koolaid :D

I was gonna say I am an Apple fan.. (at least in phones and tablets and tv streaming devices) but that I probably wouldn't change if I were an Android fan..

·
Registered
316 Posts
OK Well in proof that big brother is listening, after talking about this with my wife an email magically appeared. I had been eligible for new phones but not in any hurry to switch but the email stated that in my market i qualified for a new Verizon plan for 55+. It is half the cost of my current plan so i went to store to check it out. After a couple hours on the phone and showing the store i was indeed 55, we decided on new Iphone XR's. After a few days with the new Iphone, i can honestly say i like it. I miss the home button but the face recognition for the lock is cool and the battery lasts all day and then some. I have not done anything with bike because winter won't let go here in Michigan but i look forward to using it on my new Wing. In the end my phone bill went up 10 bucks and my wife and I got new phones, so not an overall bad deal. Thanks
It's a good tool, that's gets things done without much of a fuss. My battery lasts all day with 75% left at 11pm. It's 95% now with light use from 6:00am. Nothing against Android since I used it for years, but these days I want my phone to do what i want it to do without much hassle, Android i am sure can do this, but Apple seems to create their experience based on intuitiveness and simplicity.

·
Registered
482 Posts
It's a good tool, that's gets things done without much of a fuss. My battery lasts all day with 75% left at 11pm. It's 95% now with light use from 6:00am. Nothing against Android since I used it for years, but these days I want my phone to do what i want it to do without much hassle, Android i am sure can do this, but Apple seems to create their experience based on intuitiveness and simplicity.

I'm in IT, a Sr. Network Admin.

I used to recommend Apple for non-technical users and Android for users that well, more nerdy..

at the same time my personal cell phone has been iPhone since iPhone 3, cuz as much as I love being a nerd... I just want the cell phone to work..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts