GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I put out a request for a lower air vent for my 01 GL 1800. Jon replied and told me he had one sitting around gathering dust and would send it off. I offered to reinburse him but was refused.

Not only did I receive this part w/o charge but Jon also sent it express USPS.

With us both living on different coasts, WA & NJ, the friendship of this BB and the power of the net makes for a very pleasant experience. Just saying thanks does not tell the story.

I plan on being in Jon home state, WA, next July and plan to buy Jon a beer or two. Offered to take him to the local DQ but it appears he is not a DQ fan.

Max Monaco

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I'll second that! Jon is a great guy and will go way above & beyond to help a fellow board member out!

Thanks Jon!!

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
The only contact I have had was in the chat room the other evening. All I can say, is that JON is gentleman first class. I discussed an issue of my with JON, and now I have a part of mine going to his home for a look see.

It is truly great to have so many talented people, in one small group, willing to help one another out.

My Hat is off to you as well Jon !

Bulldog

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, guys but I'm certainly not the first one to do something like that.

I seem to recall a few posts about handlebar weights that were handled the same way.

Max, it's not that I don't like DQ - it's just that my waistline can do without the additional calories :lol:

·
Registered
287 Posts
This is what I like to read on the board. This is what riding a goldwing motorcycle is all about. The social aspect, the friendliness of the people. We would do anything for each other if it was possible. When I order my bits and pieces from Sam in wingtoys in Texes, that man is so helpful I actually feel guilty. This is great. Well done Jon and happy new year to you and your family.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
I've got to add to the list,since I've met Jon a few times.
At the 2.5 Mile Rally,Jon installed one of his display timers on my bike.
I watched him put another on a bike(IBMike's?) in a restaraunt parking lot in Leavenworth,and not too long ago I stopped by his house with a friend and Jon set up the garage door opener on my buddies 1500.

Way to go Jon!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jon Sargeant

Jon it appears you are a"sleeping" giant and one that goes an extra mile to make folks happy. If you were a female I would probably give you a big hug when I see you. Did I really say that?

To switch subjects I removed the OEM fog light harness 2 years ago and have not had any problems. Is this a ticking bomb? The harness available from Electrical Connection looks like they added just a fuse. Any input is appreciated.

BTW check out the NJ forecast for the next week. This looks like Washington weather and not the NE January 1st.

AM Showers / Wind 49°/26° 60 %
Wed
Dec 31 Mostly Sunny 42°/27° 0 %
Thu
Jan 01 Sunny 43°/35° 0 %
Fri
Jan 02 Few Showers 51°/30° 30 %
Sat
Jan 03 Showers 45°/36° 40 %
Sun
Jan 04 Showers 49°/26° 40 %
Mon
Jan 05 Snow Shower 43°/21° 50 %
Tue
Jan 06 Rain / Snow Showers 39°/27° 40 %
Wed
Jan 07 Showers 49°/17° 60 %

Max Monaco
2001 Honda GL1800SA
1999 BMW R1100SA
NWNJ
www.skylands.ibmwr.org

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No offense Max, but a handshake'll do! :lol:

To tell the truth, I haven't been following the "foglight harness issue" too closely, mainly because I installed the E/C assembly and if I remember correctly, its harness came with a relay.

What I have read is that the OEM Hondaline and the Big Bike fog lights run all of the light's current through the switch (bad design) :evil: . This will eventually cause the switch to fail - it's just a matter of time. Six amps is not a normal switching current for the light-duty switch that they provide.

The best solution is to either wire a relay into the switch circuit yourself, or buy the harness sub-assembly from Electrical Connection

I hope this helps - by the way, you can have your East Coast weather back: we're forecasting snow for today and possibly tomorrow - it's currently

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just have to chime in for Jon. A while back I asked for input on a garage door opener. I received a number of replys but I really liked Jon's solution. I emailed him to inquire its costs and his reply was that I could do it myself for $10. Again I offered to pay him since I tend to shy away from a soldering iron as I get older. Again his reply was that it was too simple. He even sent me the link to order the board, a complete diagram on putting it together and other suggestions. Two days later I received another email informing that he had improved the design and how to do it.
I am going to be a bachelor this weekend so it will be the perfect time to sit at the table with a hot soldering iron. From all indications from Jon it should be a piece of cake.

Thanks Again Jon

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Jim, I know you can do it - it's rated as a "one soldering iron" kit as far as complexity goes :)

If you get stuck, give me a call - I think you've got my contact info.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Max,

It is an all new harness that has been reconfigured that includes a fuse, a normally open relay and plug and play connctors.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Lewis & Jon,

I wish you guys would get together on some of Jon's products. Lewis, you have the marketing and manufacturing. And, Jon has some fresh new ideas.

What a great way to make Jon's items marketable to the wing guys & gals, and both parties involved to make a little profit

Standard disclaimers ( but I would not mind being a Beta tester...LOL)

Just a thought.

Bulldog

·
Registered
21 Posts
Additional Thanks to Jon

I purchased his Night Rider for my 1800 in Feb 03 in Dec 02 I noticed one bulb out. Contacted Jon to purchase a new light strip and he said no way, he stands behind his product and was going to send me a new one at no cost, I ending up sending my complete unit back to him and he compleatly went through it and updated it at no cost to me. This is truly a great person, he is a credit to the business world and an outstanding person. Thanks Jon the new lights are great.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I too appreciate Jon's above and beyond work ethics. I too bought his knight rider lights last year. While installing them I screwed up and reversed the polarity to the unit. Jon went above and beyond and sent me a new unit. Yet another example of folks here helping out others.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Hey Tom - because of that, I changed the design of the unit so it can't be damaged by incorrect wiring.

Thanks for being a beta tester :lol:

I hope to build an inventory of the new-style multi-mode controllers after the New Year (and everyone's over the Flu :crazy: ) so that I can start the upgrade process for everyone that wants one of the newer units.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jon Sargeant

I must say... it makes me VERY PROUD of Jon to read all of these wonderful things you guys have to say about him. I always knew he was one of a kind and wonderful, but it's always nice to hear it from other people. Not to be a braggart, but you all are very lucky to have him - but it's just a loan, and not for keeps.

:lol:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Re: Jon Sargeant

Jon's WIFE said:
I must say... it makes me VERY PROUD of Jon to read all of these wonderful things you guys have to say about him. I always knew he was one of a kind and wonderful, but it's always nice to hear it from other people. Not to be a braggart, but you all are very lucky to have him - but it's just a loan, and not for keeps.

:lol:
Howdy Ma'am! Welcome to the new board!!! :D

I saw you were the latest one to join the board and thought "uh oh... she has come to tell us all to leave him alone!" :a13:

He is a great guy, and WE are lucky he has a wife as nice as you :)

Take care!

·
Thirsty Member
2,579 Posts
Hey Jon....got the 'alarm mode' controller and the replacement ends for shortening the cable. Thanks for the great service.

Now I just need to wait til the garage warms up enough for me to tinker with the install. The schematic looks pretty straight-forward....shouldn't be a problem. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Again , thanks for allowing me to pick your brain with an idea :idea: and for you to bring it to reality. I will find a way to repay you.

Steve

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Not a chance, Jeff... for as many people that are happy with me, I'm sure there's just as many that aren't.

Luckily for me they're not as vocal.

For those that are waiting for products, I've been a little put back by my mother's latest bout with her cancer. I'm on a short break right now from hospital duty where she is basically waiting to die. When my personal issues are resolved, I'll get right back out into the garage and get your stuff coming.

If anyone that has stuff on order wants, they can request a refund and I'll be happy to get that processed ASAP.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts