GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will post rides during this month here.

My spot tracker for April:

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
At this time, we are planning to ride on Wednesday, April 1 and Thursday, April 2. Probably meet up somewhere in Russellville Wednesday morning. No other specifics at this time, will ride north into the mountains. Will be riding in the rural areas of the state and trying to do the same with our fuel options.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll try to make it Wednesday.
Looks like we will have an additional two riders joining us for the day. One from Colorado who will be spending the night on Tuesday in Russellville. Another is coming down from Kansas City and will try to meet up with us in Northern Arkansas or Southern Missouri depending on how soon we can get away. Then there will be you, Larry and myself. Have not heard from anyone else.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try to make it Wednesday.
We are looking at 9:00 am at the Exxon station like last time. Will try to pick a route running straight North toward Missouri to meet up with Randy before turning back south.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Company is coming, I got to get ready!!!
Monks.jpg

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does it lay down like that often? :)
Chuck may make it again, he said if he wasn't there by the time we are ready to just go on.
Yes, pretty often .... depends on the weather! ;)

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
cant do wednesday but open thursday...let me know

JBB

It will be good to have you along! I will post something here this evening regarding plans for Thursday! (y)

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
cant do wednesday but open thursday...let me know

JBB
Meeting place and time for Thursday is the Tiger Mart Exxon in Russellville at the junction of highway 7 and I-40. The station is on the South side of I-40. Meeting time is 9:00a.m.

I will be meeting the group on the road, maybe Melbourne, I've got to get a new front tire first.
Thinking about this some more. I should be getting my tire installed when y’all pull out. If that happens I might be pulling out to join the group as they arrive in Marshall. 👍 then I could meet up somewhere just east of there?

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This route looks a little more interesting than the last few. I ended the day with 396 miles.

Arkansas is a very rural state. It is not that hard to get out for a ride and maintain a "social distance". As you can see from the pic below at our first stop of the day, we are the only people around. This will be the case at all of stops except getting gas in Clarksville. Those people where in a constant state of cleaning. If they weren't cleaning the gas pumps they were working on the restrooms.

The above pic was taken at the one lane bridge on the lower section of highway 123. From left to right the riders are, David, Tom, Larry and Chuck with me taking the pic.

Our next stop was at the scenic overlook on highway 7. As you can see from the pic below, it was a beautiful day for a ride. Chuck bid farewell after our break and headed south for home.

After getting fuel in Clarksville and saying our goodbyes to David as he pulled out for home, the final three riders made another loop into the mountains.

There is a small community on highway 16 that has a perfect place to take a break. Nice wide paved area to pull into, and a big tree that gives a good shade during the summer months. Below this was the last break before riding back into the River Valley.

I've said before these Ozark roads can be very hard on tires. I changed my SnowControl yesterday. It had 4,600 miles on it, because the wearbars were hitting the pavement and the edges of the tire had gotten smooth. Well, today I discovered the front tire was not going to take a couple more days riding. As you can see below it is time for a change.

This will change the plan for tomorrow. I'm leaving at sunrise to run up to Kenny in Strawberry, Arkansas for him to mount up a new tire. I should be able to meet up with the group over around Melbourne and finish the day with them as we exam some more of these twisty roads.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those that tried to follow the Spot Tracker link today, I apologize, as you can see it stopped while we were on the North end of Push Mountain. Could have had something to do with the "no service" cell phone area we sat in for several minutes? Really not sure. My track for the day is below.

The other guys went North from Hector then over to Marshall, after running highway 74 just East of Marshall took highway 66 to Mountain View where they found me after my front tire change.

I pulled out from Morrilton about 10 minutes before sunrise for the trip to visit Kenny. I was ready to pull out with my new tire by 10:00a.m. (y)

This is were we where when the spot tracker dropped. It was a nice place for a break. The table served us well for our snacks and some visiting.

Ed from Little Rock joined us today. We really enjoyed having him along. Wish I had gotten a pic of his bike, it is a pretty red 2018 I believe. I followed him back down Push Mountain where he decide to turn toward Mountain View and eventually home. It was nice following a red bike, even for a little while.

Tom decided it was time to take a break. I won't go into all the breaks we took because some old man needed to stop for whatever reason. ;):ROFLMAO::cool: Below we are stopped on the side of the road taking a break.

Our final stop of the day just before going our separate way.

Really hate to see the riding time come to an end, but with rain coming in again it is time. We had a wonderful two days of riding covering almost 800 miles of twisty Arkansas roads. Not bad for a bunch of old retired guys. Thanks to everyone who was able to join us for the fun.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here is the route for the group yesterday. This includes the part I missed while getting my tire mounted.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Really enjoyed the last couple days riding. Good roads and lots of laughs. Seems we're lucky to get two good weather days in a row. So, true to form.... the monsoon is back upon us this morning.

Thinking about one of these for the Goldwings stablemate.:cry: :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts