GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to all,

Glad to see the board is back up.

I need some input on a helmet purchase. I've been struggling to find a full face helmet that fits properly. I've got a big noggin and my forehead doesn't fit right in nearly everything I try on. Our local Beemer dealer is also an Arai dealer and during a visit today they introduced me to the "long oval" helmet shape that Arai has. They measured me up and claimed I was a prime candidate for this shape of helmet. The one that they are suggesting is the "Signet" model. It's a pretty nice model and priced accordingly. Prior to dropping some serious green on a brain bucket, I need to learn a little more about these lids. They have to order one my size and I want to be sure it's all they represent it to be before I pull the trigger on a special order.

A few questions....................

Any Arai Signet wearers out there? (or any Arai models for that matter)

Your impressions of the quality, fit, noise level, etc.?

Are the vents effective?

Are speakers easily installed?

MSRP is $455.00. What is a reasonable price? I've seen a few "reviews" on line claiming purchase prices under $400.00.

Don't get me wrong. My head has been appraised well in excess of $400.00 and I don't mind paying for quality and performance (I own a GL1800 after all). It's just that I've never dropped this kind of coin on a helmet before and buyer's remorse really sucks.

Thanks in advance for any and all feedback.

Rob (from Hoosierville)

·
Registered
569 Posts
helmets

The wife and I are on our second set of Arai Signet full face helmets. We bought the first set directly from J&M with the headsets installed by them. The second set we bought at the Honda Hoot from Sierra and had them install the headsets, so I can't say how hard the headsets are to install. Looks like it would not be much of a problem though. We like them and they are color matched to the Goldwing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Arai Signet Helmets

Hi Rob:
Last Fall. I bought Arai Signet GTR full-face Forte helmets for the wife and me. They have been great and were real easy to install J & M headsets. I was concerned because my Shoei RF-800 size was a XXL. That equaled a XXXL in The Arai Signet for me. The Arai's are even more comfortable than the Shoei. Downside is: deals on Arai are few and far between. I'd buy the Arai's all over again. Bill :flg: :rw1:

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
You know the old saying that you get what you pay for. They are worth every penny. They are very comfortable & do a good job of keeping out the wind noise. The J&M Headsets & speakers were already installed on the ones we got. They do sound GREAT. Good Luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had a very bad experience with a "fitted" Arai helmet, one of those $600 models with J&M headsets installed. No satisfaction with the selling dealer or Arai.

You can purchase a very good helmet, likely with a better fit, for a lot less money.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
we wear the Arai Quantum F . fit great. the place had them on the shelf.

we tried on about 8 diffferent helmets, kept going back the arai

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wear an Arai 3/4 but recently purchased an Arai full face (I believe the Astral model to fit my head shape). I purchased it from Cycle Gear (a chain retailer) and they have a 30-day return for credit policy. I did exchange it for a Shoei RF-1000. The reason was excessive wind noise - '03 GL1800 with OEM windshield. I like to look just over the top of the windshield - that would not work with the Arai - too much wind noise. I had to lift the windshield to the highest position to eliminate the noise. The verdict is still out on the Shoei. I do like the multi-positions of the face shield on the Shoei. The Arai face shield was either open or closed and at ~75mph with the face shield open, it would migrate to the closed position. So with all this stated, I recommend you shop for a local retailer or on-line so your purchase can at least be exchanged if necessary. I previously bought a Scheubert flip face for $400 + tax and wore it about 3-times. It would give me a headache in about an hour or so. I sold it for $200 - an expensive experience. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Rob,

I wear a Signet and my wife wears a Quantum. We have been wearing these for a year now. We spent the entire summer before buying these just shopping an trying helmets on. The Signet was the only one that was comfortable on me. We were hoping to buy convertible helmets but none fit me.

The helmets are very quiet when the vents are closed. The vents flow a lot of air but they are very noisy. I use earplugs when it's hot and the vents are open. These are much noisier than my old Shoie RF700's were.

Since buying the Arais' Shoie has come out with the RF1000. I like the fit of it very much. It has been reshaped the same as the RF700. The RF800&900 do not fit me.

I suggest you try the Shoie before you buy. I used my old ones for 100,000 miles. Rode up to 16 hours a day and loved those helmets.

Either choice is a good one and both are expensive.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Buy the Arai's. Got one given to me when I purchased a HD LowRider in 1980, then coudln't find a replacement til last summer so I bought 2 Quantum/F with Okada 3 graphics. Way better than my Shoei, cooler, better ventillated, and fit is great. Got them locally $425 ea and rode to J&M to have factory installed headsets. HDL has them but you need to get them at the store, you can also get them at www.helmetharbor.com but had to call them, Okada 3's were quoted at less than $400 and you need to know your size. Fleece bag in photo 3 was $12.95 from JCWhitney.

dMac

On the 03 Blue

Close UP.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have the Arai Signet GT full face. The most comfortable helmet I have ever had on my head. I can wear it all day and never wish I could take it off.

I find it hard to believe you could find a better helmet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
do you have to take it if it doesn't fit or you don't like it? if it is "yours" when you order it or there is a restocking fee if you don't take it, keep looking.
geek

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
The www.helmetharbor.com is a few miles from us here. They have a boat load of helmets on display.

I bought my Arai helmets from Cycle gear, with helmets I need to try the fit. Every thing the young guy at cycle gear told me about the fit of each helmet was very close. I thought my head was square , guess not

I bought the Super-visor from the Helmet harbor

·
Registered
169 Posts
My wife and I both wear Arai. In my opinion it IS the best. Had a Shoei full face. Bought the Arai for my 6000mi trip to Canada, because the wight of the Shoei on a long day would wear out my neck.
Impressions...less weight, much more comfortable, air vents that actually work, chin dampner does a great job of keeping the cold wind off your neck. I wear mine all day long and never have the desire to get it off as soon as I can like I did with the Shoei. I too cringed at the price...especially when having to buy two but they are damn good helmets....like my dad said to me each time I tried to buy a little cheaper and $ave money...."buy the best and buy it once". This is very true in this case.
See Ya
dave

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the responses. The dealer is willing to work with me on the special order. We agreed that forcing me to take a $400+ helmet that doesn't fit perfect is not the right way to go. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with this helmet. I like my Nexl beanie but with the number of deer I've seen lately I'd feel safer with complete skull armor.

A couple other questions...................

Do the vents really keep you cool, or just cooler than other helmets? I want to wear this all summer but if the old noggin is cooking I'll be compelled to wear my beanie.

I'm used to a visor. Does anyone make such a thing for a full face helmet?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Helmets

My wife wears a full-faced Arai and I wear a open faced Arai. Got my new one at Madison Wing Ding. It has the vents and they do work. I am one who the humidity and heat gets to and this helmet really helps keep me a little cooler. We have been wearing Arai helmets for several years. They saved our lives when we totaled out 95 GL1500 about 5 years ago. Both sides of the helmets were gouged about 1/4 deep, you can imagine what that impact would have done to the human skull without a helmet. Arai's are the most comfortable helmet I have worn since I started riding in 1959. JMHO!!!! :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Rob (from Hoosierville) said:
The helmet sunblocker is good for this purpose. They are available at Rider Wearhouse.
http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store
(Look under helmets and stuff)
I'm looking at new Arai helmets too. My nine year old Signet is starting to disintegrate inside. I find that the Astral is a better fit for me. They weren't availabe when we got the Signet. I've been watching ebay. A "new" XL (I need a large) sold there yesterday for $165. Our local Honda dealer will sell a new solid color Astral for $365.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Arai Helmet

I live near Albuquerque, NM and frequently ride in Az, Tx and Nv. The Arais' are way cooler than my old Shoei, as a side bar they don't get as bad a helmet stench either. If you're going to be in bunches of hot sunny weather a lighter color makes a world of difference.

dMac

·
Registered
20,951 Posts
Rob (from Hoosierville) said:
Thanks for all the responses.

A couple other questions...................

Do the vents really keep you cool, or just cooler than other helmets? I want to wear this all summer but if the old noggin is cooking I'll be compelled to wear my beanie.

I have 2 Arai helmets 1 Quantum 1 Signet and the vents work pretty well in both, I would never again buy a helmet if the vents don't work well, they make a huge difference in hot weather comfort.
A few of the other board members have been reporting good results with the use of www.super-visor.com I just ordered a supervisor yesterday, had been useing the stick on sunblocker type things and they help but am hopeing for something better, sure hope I didn't waste another $20. The folks at super-visor sure seem to have good service, I emailed them with a couple questions on SUNDAY and recieved a helpfull reply within an hour.
After typing this reply I see Tony has already given you the answers you are looking for.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey Tony-

Does the "Super-Visor" create any problems with respect to opening, removing, or changing your face shield?

-Rob

1 - 20 of 29 Posts