GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang
Bought a Archos MP3 20Gig player to use on the bike through the Aux input, and am having some trouble with it. The thing will play trouble free for 9 hours while sitting in the house, but when on the bike it just blanks out and goes completely dead; having to completely power it up again and start over. I REALLY DON'T THINK THIS IS DUE TO A VIBRATION PROBLEM OR DISK SKIPPING! I have moved it around and wrapped it in rags, bubble wrap etc, and when it shuts down, it is never as a result of a bumb or other jolts etc. Am beginning to think it has something to do with being plugged into the aux imput jack that is throwing it off.
Any experience with this player or similiar problem.
Any recommendations as to another player?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Is it connected to the bikes 12 volts DC or running on batteries? I would look at the DC connectors, try wiggling them and also the batteries.

G

·
0 Posts
I know some of the units had some problems and the company released firmware updates which can be had from their website.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Been running it soley on it's own battery power. Very strange behavior, as it just quits playing right in the middle of a song with no apparent vibration of jiggling input. Will play for about 45 minutes to an hour before it does this. Have had it playing in the kitchen for about three hours without failure, and have picked it up and jiggled and banged it on the counter without any problems. The only difference I can figure so far is the connection into the aux jack while on the bike. Think I will hook it up on the bike through the aux jack with bike just sitting in the garage next. I would return it, or contact Archos, but feel like they will just tell me it is the vibration from the bike and really don't feel that is the problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
MP3 Player

I have an Archos MP3 player and when I wrapped it in bubble wrap the heat from the unit itself shuts it down. I now mount it in the truck on the side wall with two (2) 1/2" standoffs on the back to keep air circulatiing around the unit. Now it does not shut down on me anymore. Someone also said to cut a small hole in the glove box to keep air flowing but I don't know if that works.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Archos

I tried every way to get my Archos to work right in the left pocket. Foam, padding everything. Had 2 replacements. Nothing worked. It would just freeze up and stop playing. I could bang ot around outside and no problem. Soon as it went into pocket, problems. I think the heat might have something to do with it. Went to IPOD and never regretted it for a moment. NO stopping, No skippin, NO problems at all.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have the same Archos model and it has never given me any trouble sat in the left front pocket. A friend had the same problems you describe, but then loaded up the free alternative Rockbox firmware as I use on mine. He has had no problems since.

You can get the firmware here:

http://rockbox.haxx.se/

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the help! THIS BOARD IS AMAZING! When I get back home to main computer, I'll try the update that Javern mentioned, and if that don't do it, then I'll try the RockBox firmware.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have been using a Casio PDA with a 256 Meg. CF card for music on my MC. I know the heat in the left pocket shut down the unit several times last summer. May be the same heat related problem with the Archos.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an iPod and it shut down twice. Both times were when it was very cold (about 35) and I had been traveling on the freeway for about 45 minutes. The only thing I could think of is that it got too cold. I will need to see what happens in the summer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts