GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
Any trucker who takes that road hasn't got an ounce of brains in his head and shouldn't be allowed to drive one of those behemouths. It is scary to think that we share the road with these idiots every day.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I've seen some of these pics on Killboy's site and been there on 4 occasions, luckily not when the Trucks were.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Why does the state of TN allow trucks on this road?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
yellow wolf said:
fed hwy kinda hard to stop them,but they do write them tickets for being over the center line!
:lol: :lol: :lol: Over the center line :lol: :lol: :lol:
How 'bout.... and on both shoulders at the same time too! :lol: :lol:
DC

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
yellow wolf said:
true but the real stupid ones are the ones that see a big truck coming and dont stop before the turn!!!
That's what I was going to say. Having never been on the Dragon I can't really say that is what was happening but knowing a good many truckers and having ridden with OTR drivers a good many years ago I can attest to the stupidity of oncoming drivers who refuse to let a truck through and have driven up under them.

Kinda deja vu-ish actually. The road that I often take out of my subdivision to head to work has a couple of 90's and is basically pothole city. I was heading to work one morning and came upon the second turn when I noticed the whip of the CB antenna above the brush. I came to a near instant stop and waited for the truck to come around. The car behind me didn't like waiting and whipped around me knocked his mirror off of his SUV when he clipped the first truck and then proceeded to round the curve and hit the second truck headon. I nearly fell off the bike from laughing so hard.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hey scarredpelt,
I never wish bad on anyone,
but when they wish it on themselves,
it's a hoot to see them get payment in full,
As long as nobody gets hurt. :lol:
DC

·
Registered
154 Posts
Deals Gap

I came around a turn on the Gap and coming at me on my side was a blue 18 wheeler making a curve by using both sides of the road and both shoulders. Since I wasn't speeding and was expecting trouble there wasn't a problem giving him enough room to make the turn.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
In defense of the truckdrivers here is another side some of you people who live in a perfect world do not know. This is referring to people who think truck drivers are idiots...

It is a Federal Highway. It was not built for the sole prupose of motorcyles to race on.

Some trucking companies, (Swift is one) tell their drivers which route to take. Sometimes the driver has no choice. A lot of the over road drivers today are not even US citizens yet and they do not have a clue as to what is going on. Thank Uncle Sam for this.

Truck drivers of today are not like the truck drivers in the 60,s and 70,s.
My father was a truck driver for many years so I can vouch how they were respected back then as to now. If you could see some of the drivers hiding behind the tinted windows in todays trucks you would really get worried.

As I have had to deal with truck drivers directly several times in the last eight years I can also tell you I have met several who cannot even speak English. Always made me wonder how they get around. One driver showed me his highway maps. All the writing was in Spanish.

Did not mean to actually hijack this thread but I just do not like seeing anybody generalize truck drivers as idiots. If not for the trucks running how would any of us survive?

Taken from another post:
Any trucker who takes that road hasn't got an ounce of brains in his head and shouldn't be allowed to drive one of those behemouths. It is scary to think that we share the road with these idiots every day.

Again, this is just my opinion. I know others will vary.

Ross

·
Registered
451 Posts
Not just trucks on the dragon. We were at Deals Gap and saw a tour bus and a PU pulling a big 5th wheel :shock: head down the road ahead of us. We waited awhile :D

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Not having been there and seen the area for myself (just making sure everyone knows what my qualifications are NOT). I would have to say seeing the problems that arise from the pictures and the warning signs before they enter the area, the difference betwen a wannabe Professional Trucker, and these guys is the Professional doesn't need to "check" his abilities, and therefore heed the warnings. I can understand the desire to see the area, and the legalities involved with it being a federal hwy, but one could make the same argument for explosive trucks and tunnels. Federal money was used to build the tunnel yet explosive haulers are restricted from using the tunnel and must detour in some cases 30+miles out of the way. Having spent some time behind the wheel of a rig, I think it would be prudent to close that hwy to vehicles over "X" in length.

Just some stupid thoughts

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
In defense of the truckdrivers here is another side some of you people who live in a perfect world do not know. This is referring to people who think truck drivers are idiots...
Ross,
Don't worry, you didn't have to leave my name out of that comment. I have thick skin and know that if I am going to dish it out, I had better be able to take it. :lol:

I know my words were harsh and they were intended to be. I also know that there are a lot of very good truck drivers out there and they are some of the best drivers on the road. But you are right, things aren't the same as they used to be. Even old school drivers admit that their profession has been receiving a lot of well deserved black eyes, that it is no longer a profession to many. It is just a job. My opinion isn't based solely on what is in those pictures. We all see the dumb stunts that truckers pull every time we get on the freeway.

Because of the deaths and serious injuries that they will cause if they screw up, they should be held to a higher standard and they should hold themselves to that same standard. You mentioned a perfect example. We speak English in this country. If they can't speak the language and that puts other motorists in harms way, then they shouldn't be driving a semi. That just seems like plain old common sense to me.

Truckers have access to a lot more information about our roads that the average motorist does. Serious over the road truckers know what to expect on every single mile that they travel. They all know Deals Gap and the risks quite well.

I realize that Deals Gap is a federal highway. Since federal funds maintain it, they can't stop the truckers from travelling it. It just goes to show how stupid our laws are sometimes. They will give a motorist a speeding ticket on Deals Gap, but they won't give a trucker a ticket for crossing the double yellow and driving in the oncoming lane.

Being human, all truckers make mistakes sometimes. I can imagine a trucker getting lost and venturing down 19 accidentally. But nobody can tell me that all those truckers got lost. They were trying to make time.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Federal funds may maintain the road as they maintain several around where I live. Federal funds also maintain the signs that put limits as to height and weight as what vehicles can travel on the road. If the vehicle cannot travel in its own lane it should not be on the road. Doesn't mean we should not be on the look out for these vehicles on any road. I remeber looking at the pictures on the board at the gap of trucks stuck on the road thinking "what an idiot"
I respect the truckers as I have found most are professionals. I just spent the weekend with my daughter (15 and on a permit) driving down I-44 and I-70. Teaching her how to work with trucks on the road, give them lots of room, let them pull in front of you when they need to pass a slow vehicle, etc. etc.

·
Love The DCT
12,196 Posts
Truck drivers are required to "speak" and "read" English to drive commercial motor vehicles. Here is the regulation.

Subpart B — Qualification and Disqualification of Drivers

§391.11 General qualifications of drivers.

(b)(2) Can read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records;

·
Registered
2,541 Posts

Is your Valkerie leaking oil?

Just kidding, ride safe :a13:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
murf said:
Truck drivers are required to "speak" and "read" English to drive commercial motor vehicles. Here is the regulation.

(b)(2) Can read and speak the English language sufficiently to converse with the general public, to understand highway traffic signs and signals in the English language, to respond to official inquiries, and to make entries on reports and records;
I for one know it reads that way, but believe the ones that can't are out there.

·
Registered
994 Posts
murf said:

I believe that is to obtain a CDL within the US. What about drivers from Mexico and Canada? I think their CDL's are acceptable within the US.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts