GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or will a 1 amp motorcycle battery charger work just as good. How about the regular battery tender jr. compared to the better plus one ? Thanks Harry

·
Registered
13 Posts
battery tender

I think they are worth it. I have an old trickle charger that I have used for years, but, I wouldn't want to leave it hooked up for more than 24 hours - you'd be boiling the water right out of the battery. I just bought the Battery Tender junior from Hal and it was $30 delivered to my door. Now my wing is 2001 and if I don't ride for about 3 weeks my battery will go dead. But, this battery tender will charge it up from dead and keep it right there ready to go without boiling the water out. :D :blw1:

·
Registered
237 Posts
buy the plus

I have five batteries cooking in the basement. All on Battery Tender Plus models. Will be on for the next 5 months. Been using them for several years with no problems. Well worth the money. :flg:

·
Chard Member
13,060 Posts
A 1 amp trickle charger will work just fine if you don't leave it on all the time.

:idea: Back in the dark ages we would hook a lamp timer to a trickle charger. We would have it cycle for a few minutes each day during our down time.

Another trick I have heard of is plug it into the lamp of your automatic garage door unit. Everytime you cycle the garage door the charger will come on for a few minutes. Enough to maintain a small battery anyway.

Didn't need no stinkin' Battery Tender back then! Don't have any use for one now! LOL....

·
Registered
810 Posts
Battery Tender Jr. is Fine

Wingman mentioned the Jr. won't do the job, but I disagree. I've had the Tender Jr. on my 1800 for almost 18 months now and certainly have not have any problems with it. Now I will say the 1800 does a great job of charging the battery, but then, when I'm working on the bike and running the 400 watt amplifier, it's killed the battery a few times and the BT Jr. has always brought it back!

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a Battery Tender Plus hooked to my Wing and one to my Corvette every minute I'm not driving one of them. I think they're well worth the money.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I also disagree with the post that the Jr won't do the job. It has for the past year with my 1800 and the previous two years with my 1500. The 1500 started to develop a problem that Honda could not figure out with the battery going dead on me. I would jump it off take it to the dealer and the battery would check out just fine for a couple three days. They would call me to pick it up and several days later - blahh. Put a Jr on it and have never had a problem since. Best spent $30.

·
Registered
185 Posts
wal mart version

I bought a 4 amp wal mart charger (cant recall the exact brand) that will cut off when the battery is charged. I ran the battery down while wiring trailer lights and the charger ran, charged the battery, and then shut off.
Do you think this type of charger is ok?

·
Registered
429 Posts
A small battery should be charged at about 1/10 of it's capacity so a 14ah battery should be charged at 1.4 - 1.5 amps. A 4 amp charger probably won't hurt it to just chare it up but I would use a batter tender type of charger. Even then, I would only put it on charge every week or so until it goes onto float charge. I don't trust any of them for long term use. (because I have wrecked two (2) batteries doing just that)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
As BuffaloChuck said it should be charged at a higher rate, the Jr model is only .75 of an amp. The Jr model is incapable of initializing a new battery, it can maintain a battery, it can recharge a battery at a very slow rate, but slower than recommended by the battery manufacturers for best performance.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes the Battery Tender is worth the money. They stand behind their products. I had a problem with one I'd used for six years, they replaced it with a new one. Good product and good folks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts