GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this has already been covered. In a previous post, I saw where someone had mounted their Gerbing dual permanent controllers on the right and their clothing outlets on the left. Would just ordering the dual permanent controls from Gerbing include enough wire, etc.. for this type of install or are there extras that need to be ordered?

For those who have supplied outlets for your passenger, do you include another set of dual controls for the rear of the bike also?

How hard is it to change the outlet type if you don't like the kind that comes standard?

Thanks in advance :)

http://www.gerbing.com/tc/dualperm.html

Bill in da U.P.

·
Registered
927 Posts
If you Yuppers don't mind getting imformation from a Troll I'll tell what I am doing. I just purchased the Gerbing liners, gloves, portable controllers for my wife and myself. This set-up works OK on our 06 GoldWing but I did not like having to hunt for the contoller while riding and forget trying to see the LED's while moving. So I am in the process of installing a Dual Mounted Heat Troller from http://www.warmnsafe.com and located the rheostats & LEDs in the area where the GoldWing emblem was beneath the key switch. The fit is VERY tight there but it is doable. I chose this spot because if I don't like it there I can move the knobs & LEDs and cover the holes up with the emblem. At first I had planned on placing sockets in the tupperware for the cords from the liner & gloves to plug into but I hate drilling holes in the body. I also figured that being the klutz that I am that I would sooner or later dismount the bike before disconnecting the cords and I did not want to subject the tupperware to the possible side loads. So I am keeping the original plugs & sockets and will tuck them behind the side battery cover when not in use. As for the passenger I am sticking with the Gerbing portable until I get some complaints about it from my wife.

Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If you are going to put your controller unit under the seat, hard mount the plugs in the left side fairing and hard mount the controls in right side fairing, control wires are long enough but the plug wires are a little short. If you move the controller forward under the shelter, then all will reach.

If you are going to change the clothing plug ins to a different type, you get to cut the wire and solder on new ones, voiding the warranty on the controller. Or you can get a couple of adapters that plug into the existing coax sockets on the ends of the Gerbing wires.
Here is a link to some adapters available BMW, Widder, SAE
http://www.warmnsafe.com/motorcycle_accessories.php?PHPSESSID=f571f0262cdb54f96c2424a15f0ad3b4
If you are going to a pair of hard mounted Coax connectors, you will need a couple Coax Plug extension and two coax panel jack plugs for use with a soldering iron.

The passenger gets a separate controller.

Its not a hard install - just takes a little time. How complicated you make it is your choice. I make mine into something akin to the Manhattan Project.

The panel jacks would have fit in the black insert if I had not already put the garage door opener there, and would have been a better looking install.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply gentleman. Both installs look nice and neat. I don't have anything on my right panel where the grip heater control goes so I may mount the controls there. I don't have a garage door opener on the left, so maybe that will work. The emblem spot might work too. Seeing we are only 54 days from spring (at least calendar spring - March 22nd) I want to get this install done and be ready for riding as soon as the salt is off the road.

Your advice was very helpful.

Thanks,

Bill in da U.P. (I guess that makes me a Yooper! :roll: )

1 - 4 of 4 Posts