GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are rear flashing brake lights legal in florida?

I HAVE RUN REAR FLASHING BRAKE LIGHTS FOR 5YRS AND WAS STOPPED AND TOLD I HAD TO REMOVE THEM?
Florida Statutes 316.2397 – Certain lights prohibited; exceptions
CANNOT FIND A EXCEPTION

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have never been stopped for this. My brake lights flash several times then steady on.

I could see if they constantly flash or flash side to side it may look like a LEO light .

Were you travelling in a new area ? Perhaps the Officer was just having a bad hair day ;)

I suppose we Floridians need to learn more about this.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I have been running modulating brake lights on my motorcycles in Florida since 1999, never had an issue. I used to ride regularly with a couple of Volusia county Sheriff Deputies, they never mentioned anything about it being an issue.

·
Chard Member
13,049 Posts
I’ve been stopped at least a dozen times in the last 3 years for speed. Nothing was said about my flashing brake light. Mine flashes twice then solid bright.

If I received a ticket for it I’d pay the fine but I wouldn’t remove the taillight.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
If I received a ticket for it I’d pay the fine but I wouldn’t remove the taillight.

Your BAAAD Red.

I told a Florida State Cop the same thing when he told me he'd give me a ticket for double-towing if he caught me. He didn't like it.
I double-towed for about 7 years in Fl, AL and GA with no problems. >:)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I’ve been stopped at least a dozen times in the last 3 years for speed. Nothing was said about my flashing brake light. Mine flashes twice then solid bright.

Section 7 prohibits flashing lights of any type on a vehicle: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...te&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.2397.html
I'm surprised at that....most states will only prohibit flashing lights that are forward facing or blue. Even the People's Republick of Kalifornia allows flashing brake lights.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I did a lot of research years ago. It seems they could flash but only for so long.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Chard Member
13,049 Posts
I did a lot of research years ago. It seems they could flash but only for so long.

I think you’re correct because if mine were illegal they would have nailed me a few times in the last four years using it. I use a taillight sold by Bright A$$ Lights. Ambulances around here use the same brake light except much larger.

Hillsborough County SO has Wolfpack’s of motor officers out on Sunday mornings in a area I ride through. They have had a grant from the state for the last couple of years for overtime. They have to justify that OT by stopping and writing anything that moves. They’ve stopped me 4 times. Not once did they give me a reason or a ticket. One officer told me they would be stopping between 50-60 motorcycles that day.

·
IronMan
17,627 Posts
YA SHOULD HAVE JUST SLAPPED HIM !!! TELL HIM YOUR A "WINGER" AND WE DO WHAT WE WANT !:surprise::grin2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
I got stopped at bike week for blue leds all over the place but the 9 other guys I ride with on their harleys all have blinking brake lights and I’m pretty sure most of the baggers had them as well do idk

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Blue led...that's a big no, no.
I got stopped at bike week for blue leds all over the place but the 9 other guys I ride with on their harleys all have blinking brake lights and I’m pretty sure most of the baggers had them as well do idk

·
Registered
198 Posts
I read the statute in the link you provided. It says in part "visible from directly in front thereof except for certain vehicles provided in this section".

I did not see anything about rear lights, but I could have missed it.

Section 7 prohibits flashing lights of any type on a vehicle: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...te&URL=0300-0399/0316/Sections/0316.2397.html
I'm surprised at that....most states will only prohibit flashing lights that are forward facing or blue. Even the People's Republick of Kalifornia allows flashing brake lights.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I read the statute in the link you provided. It says in part "visible from directly in front thereof except for certain vehicles provided in this section".

I did not see anything about rear lights, but I could have missed it.

Section 1 deals with with "forward facing" lights only (visible from directly in front)...it mentions nothing about flashing lights. Section 7 deals with "flashing lights".....they are prohibited (no matter which way they face) with the exception of turn signals, flashing your headlights and the lights in Section 7c which pertains to bicycles. Frankly, it is a non-moving violation (section 10) so I would do what others have suggested: pay the fine and leave the light on the bike. Every LEO has his or her pet peeve summons....maybe this guy has a dislike of flashing brake lights.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I have limited flashing on my "spoiler" brake light on 2010 & 2018 as well as some flavor of a tag brake light on my Suzuki M50 and Tailwind trailer. In all cases except my 2010 are EC's rapid flasher. The key item in all of them is that the flashing ceases to on solid unless I release and re-apply the brake. I would also refuse to remove the device on any of these. I did change what flash unit was on the trailer as well as "what lights" flashed as I wanted "stock looking" brake lights to be "normal looking" unless I purposely wanted to flash ALL brake lights as traffic is coming to a sudden stop.

I have also been seeing many brand new cars of various makes with flashing "high/center" brake lights. I very seriously doubt that this many people driving these cars are motorcycle riders that know where to buy and how to install the flash control box to add them to their car; meaning the manufacture is doing it. I am sure they are selling these same cars in Florida....

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Been living in Florida since 92.

My brake lights flash when applying brakes for 3-4 times then stop unless I apply the brakes again, which I do just to wake up the guy/gal behind me.

Never had an issue..even have had cops/deputies behind me when I have done it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Now that is has been mentioned I recall my neighbor has a new P/U truck and I think the center mounted brake light flashes multiple times. I am sure it's from the factory.

·
Registered
79 Posts
:smile2:
I HAVE RUN REAR FLASHING BRAKE LIGHTS FOR 5YRS AND WAS STOPPED AND TOLD I HAD TO REMOVE THEM?
Florida Statutes 316.2397 – Certain lights prohibited; exceptions
CANNOT FIND A EXCEPTION

I want to add a brake light flasher to my DCT tour. What is the best plug and play flasher to use.?
Thanks.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts