GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard it both ways - same as before and also that they have been reworked?
Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Word I've heard so far is that there is no new design, just better quality control. We'll see.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Bob is right on the money

There NO change in either design or how they are put together. There is much tighter QC with several steps added. Who told me this? Jeff Johnson from Metzler.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The above comments are also what I have been told by Metzeler.

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
I'm curious! What happens with the people that now are in possession of the garbage front Metzler? Is Metzler taking any action for them? Are they replacing the tire for the customer or is the customer SOL?

I wonder if Jeff at Metzler is checking the list he was compiling last year? I haven't heard anything from them. :(

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Red this is what you need to do

First contact who you bought the tire from. Then send it to them to get it replaced. I know you have a VERY bad feeling about Metzler BUT, they are working with me & others. I love the way the tire wears & the grip in wet or dry is real good. I know what you have said in the past about them. I don't seem to be hearing that from other riders.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bluewing has it right. Jeff is only one person. Go back to your source of purchase if you have a problem and it will get taken care of. Metzeler has taken care of every bad tire that we returned to them.

·
Chard Member
12,963 Posts
Bluewing....I don't have a bad feeling about Metzler. I can tell you that the Metzler tires I paid to have installed on my 1800 really stunk. They wobbled so bad it was unsafe. You could feel the wobble from zero mph up to 50 mph. You could feel it coming down in speed from about 40 mph.

The dealership that installed my tires has sold just a few sets of Metzlers for the 1800. They have removed all except one set so far because they wobbled! :(

Has Metzler paid for the removal and reinstallation of the tires for anyone? Just how good is there customer service?

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Red this is what has happened for some of the guys.

I know there have been several members on this board that recieved new tires. The dealer that installed them also recieved new tires for there trouble changing out the tires. I do not know if they are still doing this.
They do make some great products. It is just too bad that they did not have better QC so this problem would not have started to begin with. I think they know that if this happens again they will have egg on their face.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Gee, you guys are making me very nervous. :roll: I ordered a pair of them when Hal had his Thanksgiving sale. I am still waiting for the word that my front tire is on its way.

At the time when I ordered them I had just joined this list and did not know that there was any problem in either ordering them or that they were having a wobble problem.

I guess I will keep waiting patiently and just see what happens.

·
Registered
824 Posts
5Ross said:
Gee, you guys are making me very nervous. :roll: I ordered a pair of them when Hal had his Thanksgiving sale. I am still waiting for the word that my front tire is on its way.

At the time when I ordered them I had just joined this list and did not know that there was any problem in either ordering them or that they were having a wobble problem.

I guess I will keep waiting patiently and just see what happens.
Ross, I have had the Metzler's and have experienced no problem with the front tire.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
I have ran thru two sets of Metzlers. One set had a woble, HDL and
Metzler took care of the problem. Either set would have gone 12/16k based on wear, but one I changed because of a bolt thru the tire, and
one set because I was going on a 4k ride.

I have no qualms about using Metzlers because of the wobble. I have been VERY happy with the warranty work from both parties. And I
have been really impressed with the performance of the tires. Stick
like glue, wear well, good mileage.

I have a set of new style Bridgestones on right now, and dislike them
worse than the old style. They make a steel grate bridge fell like I
am riding a Vespa in a grease pit with a crosswind. Sure glad they do
not wear well. At least the old style was solid feeling.

Metzler even sent a tire guage with a note saying sorry for the trouble.

And it was the HDL crew that went to bat for me.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Cost of mounting tires can be expensive...
Most Dealers out here charge 52 bucks for a REAR...
Chaparral Motor Sports ( San Bernardino, CA ) ...first question out of their mouth is...Do you have a hitch installed ???....Yep...The second thing out of their mouth is ...$ 9 7. 50.........!...Silence and then, well it's a Bushtec Hitch, you won't have any problem mounting the rear. Most shops around here only charge 52 bucks.... Silence....Sir, the charge for mounting a rear tire with a hitch is 97.50 !
Tire cost = 166 bucks
Rear mounting = 97.50
TWO HUNDRED and SIXTY FOUR ....dollars ! :biker:
for a rear tire that wears out in about 12-15 thousand miles.
By the way....
Huntington Beach Honda...
208.00 OUT THE DOOR !
So....recouping, ones cost of mounting and purchasing inferior tires....does matter.
(Gotta' stop typing with my toes !)

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
All the gl1800 tire manufacturers have had SOME wobble problems. I have used them all except Avon and was lucky to only get one set with a slight wobble which happened to be on the second set of Dunlops. Currently useing Metzlers and am very impressed with them,smoothest riding great handling seem to grip very well wet or dry. Hopefully the improved quality control at Metzler will put an end to thier wobble problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
cycledude,
I am on my second set of Dunlaps. First set only went 8K second set is already at 8K and I would estimate another 8K before replacing. This is due to my dealer telling me to ignore what the owners manual stated for air pressure and run 42 psi front and rear. I haven't had wobble one. If every tire you have had, and you have had all except Avon, wobbled I would guess the problem ain't the tires. I suggest you look elsewhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts