GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking myself every bike I can see with factory panniers... There are no smaller panniers than on 2018. I am also checking the width. They are very close on all bikes.
Then I am wondering, how Honda managed to do that on touring bike ?
I need to push hard to fit my riding jacket in. Some members are calling ST1800. If they see the capacity on ST1300 panniers, will regret. Why they haven't done the same as on the previous model? The tyres are only 10mm wider on each, but the panniers are 70mm smaller ??? Why??? Is this touring, sport touring bike, or what ? Superior technology with missing purpose. What do you think, what was the reason ???

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Checking myself every bike I can see with factory panniers... There are no smaller panniers than on 2018. I am also checking the width. They are very close on all bikes.
I need to push hard to fit my riding jacket in. Some members are calling ST1800. If they see the capacity on ST1300 panniers, will regret. Why they haven't done the same as on the previous model? The tyres are only 10mm wider on each, but the panniers are 70mm smaller ??? Why??? Is this touring, sport touring bike, or what ? Superior technology with missing purpose. What do you think, what was the reason ???
Lighter, faster, more appealing look. Lighter for the older guys and more appealing to the younger guys. This bikes been out for three years now and sales seem good on it. I like it scaled down. If you need more trunk space buy a trailer or look at another bike. Let Honda know what you want and see if the numbers are there. It is what it is so it’s up to the numbers. If it doesn’t sell then they will change it. Old men ride them and old men hate change so there will always be bitchers and moaners. Look at the new Corvette. Same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
16,636 Posts
Leave the kitchen sink at home!

Saddle bags, I think of soft sided and removable, such as leather. Pannier, I think of BMWs with those silly high riding square suitcases. We have hard bags. Honda did it this way because that is what their marketing research dictated for younger riders. If the luggage capacity is such a problem for a given prospective buyer, then consider other products. Vote with wallet. Oh, and there are aftermarket products that can be used to increase the capacity of the hard bags and trunk and to make its butt look big.

prs

·
Registered
157 Posts
The constant complaining from the "Honda moved my cheese" crowd is exhausting.
If you don't like the new Wing, then don't buy one. Simple as that. Buy a 2017 and it'll be the last bike you ever have to own. It will out-last you.

Honda changed the Wing because they realized the old wing was only attracting an older demographic. They wanted to lower the average age of their buyers, and attract a younger demographic. When someone tries to insult the Wing by calling it a ST1800 I can only smirk. I wouldn't have even considered the Wing if they hadn't made it smaller, lighter, and more nimble. There are days I think it's still a little bloated and I miss the raw grunt of my C14... But on average, I like my Wing. I certainly never considered buying the last generation.

Love it? Buy it.

Don't love it? Move along.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
The reduced capacity of the 2018+ saddlebags was well published in this forum and in every motorcycle magazine that covered the new model launch. If you still purchased the new Wing, then you accepted the reduced capacity. For those who now have buyer remorse because of luggage space, you can check out the Corbin Hi-Capacity saddle bag and trunk lids. Yes its an additional expense, but they are quality products and it brings the capacity of your saddle bags up to the 2001-2017 capacity. And Sfortuna is correct, a lot of us pull a motorcycle trailer, especially when riding two-up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many years ago, I had the chance to swap rides with a buddy of mine for a short ride. He was on a 2002 Wing. I remember thinking that I would NEVER buy a Gold Wing after that ride because it felt like I was riding behind a billboard. Dead still air at highway speed. I could have lit a match behind the windshield. It was like being in a car. Of course, I didn't tell him that because he loved that bike and in retrospect, it was the perfect bike for him. Flash forward a decade or so, and I stumbled upon the 2014 CTX1300 which I bought, rode the heck out of, and loved completely.
Until the 2018 Gold Wing came out, looking for all the world like a CTX with a six-cylinder engine. I traded my CTX for a shiny red Wing in January and it is the PERFECT upgrade for me. Yes, the bags are slightly smaller. But the one thing I always disliked about the previous version of Wing was how ... LARGE .... it was. Not knocking anyone's choices, to each is own yada yada, but if the styling hadn't changed in 2018 I would still be on my CTX. The bags are certainly sufficient to take me across the country again when I head to Alaska next summer. The jury's out for now on whether I will need a trailer or pack-it rack since I probably won't be doing any camping. Heck, just the saddlebags without the tour back would be enough to get me there and back. Ride what you love, and if you don't love it.... don't ride it. Honda isn't going to re-tool or change anything unless it's in their financial interests, and I gotta say I'm one of the extremely satisfied customers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The purpose of a forum is to discuss, not offend. While I have stated the issue of a changing demographic in motorcycling in other posts, I see nothing wrong in bemoaning a change (although possibly needed) to a beloved machine. I certainly don't wish to offend those who miss the traditional GW body wind & storage accommodations.
That being said, I think the younger set of riders don't see the value of traditional touring machines. I also think there are loads of Baby Boomers who wouldn't ever want a "Traditional" styled Goldwing. We must remember, the GL started as a naked "superbike" - the Supreme "King of Kings" bike, Mr. Soichiro Honda wanted his engineers to make. At a time when competitors were banging on Honda's foothold in America's motorcycle market, it was as much a marketing investment, as an engineering exercise. That's all there is to it, with the newer styled GW's. Sell what you hope the American market will buy (not to diminish other countries). Have you seen the "Dark Custom" Harley Davisons lately? The new "Milwaukee 8" engine? Doesn't look or sound like the traditional Harley, either. I hate the look, but they are going after the "new" rider (they hope will appear). Same as Honda and all the rest.
Whether it works or not, this is the reality. I liked my VRod, but nobody wants them now. I think the Harley taditionalists played a part in it's failure, but hey - if the bike was as good as I thought, and more people wanted one - it would have triumphed, dispite that. Same is true with the newer GL's. Time will tell, but discussion of it's merits or deficiencies is what a forum is for.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I sold a couple of ST1300's to put toward the purchase of the new Wing. ST1300 with Hondaline top box has more luggage space than the new Wing. So what. I have been out for a week on the new Wing and took clothes, rain gear, Cycle pump and tire repair kit, tool bag, and still had plenty of room in the trunk.
What are you trying to carry on yours? I am able to carry everything I have ever carried in the past so leave some of your crap at home.
You might want to try a F150 four door. You can haul lots of stuff in those.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I sold a couple of ST1300's to put toward the purchase of the new Wing. ST1300 with Hondaline top box has more luggage space than the new Wing. So what. I have been out for a week on the new Wing and took clothes, rain gear, Cycle pump and tire repair kit, tool bag, and still had plenty of room in the trunk.
What are you trying to carry on yours? I am able to carry everything I have ever carried in the past so leave some of your crap at home.
You might want to try a F150 four door. You can haul lots of stuff in those.
Yeah, but 4 door pickups are an abomination!

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Not to sound negative, but it is the one of the main reasons I don't own one. I did not wish to pull and deal with a trailer, also didn't want unlockable bags strapped all over the bike. Not having capacity to carry basic needs for two people for a few days was a big miss on Hondas part for a touring motorcycle IMO.

Their explanation in the introduction was that fewer people were taking longer trips, or traveling two up. To me it was an admission that they didn't design this bike for couples taking multi day trips like my wife and I. At the end of the day, it is what it is. For those who can make it work, it seems to be a great bike. For others, they must explore other options.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Their explanation in the introduction was that fewer people were taking longer trips, or traveling two up. To me it was an admission that they didn't design this bike for couples taking multi day trips like my wife and I.
EXACTLY!!! Changing demographics. And if one purchases a 2018+, this is what they get. The dealer didn't swap out the storage between the test ride and the buyer picking up their new purchase.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
OP, I get what your saying, unlike most others. Why does the GL1833 have some of the smallest saddlebags/panniers when it's supposed to be the King of touring? I think that's a good question.

Just ignore the "if you don't like it don't buy it, move along, quit complaining" individuals. Such an ignorant response - just like the "learn how to pack" crowd. There are plenty of people who don't like the small capacity - owners and non-owners. Some don't buy because of the inadequate luggage space and some buy in spite of it. ALL have a right to comment and complain. There are options for purchasers if you want to lay down the 💲 - Corbin has color-matched replacement lids for the trunk and saddlebags that are larger and increase capacity.

I weighed the pros and cons between a 2020 and a new 2017 and chose the 2017. Apparently to some, that means I'm not allowed to have any complaints about the 2017. :rolleyes: That's just stupid. I made my choice based on my personal preferences and the way I like to ride and felt I got the better of the two - for me. Many of the changes/upgrades made during the life of the GL1832 were based on customer feedback and complaints. The GL1833 will be the same during it's evolution. So keep speaking your minds.

The only way Honda is going to know what people like and dislike is if people keep telling them what they like and dislike. The number one way to let them know is by your purchase or not. The other is by "complaining." Keep it up! ;)(y)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Just ignore the "if you don't like it don't buy it, move along, quit complaining" individuals. Such an ignorant response
Oh, here we go. 🍿

Apparently to some, that means I'm not allowed to have any complaints about the 2017. :rolleyes: That's just stupid. I made my choice based on my personal preferences and the way I like to ride and felt I got the better of the two - for me. Many of the changes/upgrades made during the life of the GL1832 were based on customer feedback and complaints. The GL1833 will be the same during it's evolution. So keep speaking your minds.
You're in the 2018+ forum! Say your opinion, fine, but then yes you should move on if you don't have/like the 2018+ model. I don't like the Toyota Camry. I think it's boring, drives like crap, and is owned exclusively by people who don't like driving and are consequently no good at it. But I don't go to Camry forums and repeat my dislike of the product, ad nauseam. It doesn't bother me that you feel the way you do. I am bothered by your incessant propensity to repeat it at every possible opportunity to people who don't share your opinions.

The only way Honda is going to know what people like and dislike is if people keep telling them what they like and dislike. The number one way to let them know is by your purchase or not. The other is by "complaining." Keep it up! ;)(y)
Now THAT is ignorant. Honda doesn't give a flying who-ha about what you complain about on the Internet. Honda goes to their sales figures and accountants and if they're flush with green then they're happy. Vote with your wallet. Don't like something? Don't buy it. Then move on, please.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The only way Honda is going to know what people like and dislike is if people keep telling them what they like and dislike.
Actually, Honda spends MILLIONS on R&D, including surveying current, former, and prospective owners on what their wants/needs/likes/dislikes are. If you think Honda is scouring forums in search of feedback, you are sorely mistaken.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
You're in the 2018+ forum! Say your opinion, fine, but then yes you should move on if you don't have/like the 2018+ model. I don't like the Toyota Camry. I think it's boring, drives like crap, and is owned exclusively by people who don't like driving and are consequently no good at it. But I don't go to Camry forums and repeat my dislike of the product, ad nauseam. It doesn't bother me that you feel the way you do. I am bothered by your incessant propensity to repeat it at every possible opportunity to people who don't share your opinions.

Now THAT is ignorant. Honda doesn't give a flying who-ha about what you complain about on the Internet. Honda goes to their sales figures and accountants and if they're flush with green then they're happy. Vote with your wallet. Don't like something? Don't buy it. Then move on, please.
Was the OP repeating a complaint? Did he deserve the cocky responses? My opinion is "no." His opinion is as valid as yours and mine.

Not moving anywhere. I've been here 15 years. If you don't like opinions, don't read them. I don't know where you get off telling people what they can and can't post here.

1 - 20 of 236 Posts