GL1800Riders Forums banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Finally! Now I'm sure I remember!
"Damn Cadillac - my CTS rides like a friggin' Jeep! Who the hell needs sport suspension on a Cadillac???"
Answer: probably very similar to, "Are there any smaller saddlebags".
😉

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
How many people crying and whining will it take for Honda to take action here? I mean, there are like 4 or 5 of you on the forum aren't there? How many bikes would you personally have to buy for Honda to make back the development cost of the new Gold Wing Ginormous Edition?

<imagines Honda boardroom> "Guys! We've got to do something here... there are literally thousands of forum posts from people complaining about the luggage capacity of the new Gold Wing! It's like a viral protest, this could mean the end of the company! Oh... actually... hang on, 87% of them are by William Anzik..." ;)

There's currently 11 pages of surrounding context. Would lose the will to live if I tried to précis all of it :D
I don't know how many, I don't care. All journeys start with one step. Either the movement will grow or it won't.

I'm sure the boardroom is just as entertained with your relentless quest to convince others that their likes and preferences are wrong. We know you won't rest until everyone agrees with you. 😜

Good thinking, just jump into a conversation without knowing what's already been said. Makes sense. Not.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't know how many, I don't care. All journeys start with one step. Either the movement will grow or it won't.

I'm sure the boardroom is just as entertained with your relentless quest to convince others that their likes and preferences are wrong. We know you won't rest until everyone agrees with you. 😜

Good thinking, just jump into a conversation without knowing what's already been said. Makes sense. Not.
Ah, come on William, it’s just a forum discussion mate. No hard feelings.

I’ve said a million times now that I don’t need everyone to agree it’s a great touring bike. I only post on these threads to provide balance to the people who say it is not a great touring bike. And especially when people present their opinion that it’s not a great touring bike as if it’s a universally accepted fact.

One of the first things potential new buyers of bikes do when researching it is go onto forums to see what owners think of it. If they did that and only read your posts they would go away convinced that it isn’t a touring bike and maybe start looking at different bikes instead.

I think we owe it to potential new members of the Gold Wing family reading these forums to give them our honest opinions of the bike. So if you post your honest opinion that it’s a bad touring bike, I’m going to reply with my honest opinion that it’s a great touring bike so they see both sides. It’s nothing personal.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts

I’ve said a million times now that I don’t need everyone to agree it’s a great touring bike. I only post on these threads to provide balance to the people who say it is not a great touring bike. And especially when people present their opinion that it’s not a great touring bike as if it’s a universally accepted fact.

One of the first things potential new buyers of bikes do when researching it is go onto forums to see what owners think of it. If they did that and only read your posts they would go away convinced that it isn’t a touring bike and maybe start looking at different bikes instead.

I think we owe it to potential new members of the Gold Wing family reading these forums to give them our honest opinions of the bike. So if you post your honest opinion that it’s a bad touring bike, I’m going to reply with my honest opinion that it’s a great touring bike so they see both sides. It’s nothing personal.
I have no hard feelings. I'm taking it and giving it just like you are. 😁

I am balance. Those who read my test ride review know that I believe the 2018+ is a great bike with pros and cons. Just like my 2006 and 2017 are great bikes with pros and cons. I'm a fan, just not a "fan boy" who thinks nobody should ever say anything negative.

You should also know that I've posted several times about how this board is about opinions - all of them. You don't need to tell me about the need for contributions from anyone and everyone. I don't like it when someone claims others aren't allowed to share an opinion for any reason. You're preaching to the choir. 😐

We should be out riding and enjoying our choices. 😁😉

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have no hard feelings. I'm taking it and giving it just like you are. 😁

I am balance. Those who read my test ride review know that I believe the 2018+ is a great bike with pros and cons. Just like my 2006 and 2017 are great bikes with pros and cons. I'm a fan, just not a "fan boy" who thinks nobody should ever say anything negative.

You should also know that I've posted several times about how this board is about opinions - all of them. You don't need to tell me about the need for contributions from anyone and everyone. I don't like it when someone claims others aren't allowed to share an opinion for any reason. You're preaching to the choir. 😐

We should be out riding and enjoying our choices. 😁😉
Then we are in agreement! Actually did go for my first ride in a while today because they’ve eased the lockdown restrictions here in the U.K... been a while! I just about remembered how it all worked though :)

Ok, off topic but only because people think that I can’t see any fault whatsoever in the 2018+ Gold Wing and that’s not true.

Things I don’t like about it
  • The stupid horn button location.
  • The fact that you just have to look at the paint the wrong way and it scratches.
  • Stock seat. It hurts.
  • Stock bar position, too far forward.
  • The fact that the nav unit doesn’t have worldwide mapping (bit of a niche annoyance this one, I admit).
  • The handlebar shift button locations on the DCT. Still doesn’t feel natural to me, but the foot shifter is an expensive extra.
  • The fact that the Honda instructions say you have to take ALL the plastic off to do ANYTHING to the damned thing, whether you really have to or not, meaning dealers charge you 100s of labour hours for every job.
  • Walking mode - I’ve done the DCT recalibration thing multiple times and it still surges.
  • The weird service interval spacing that means the oil changes are halfway between everything else all the time, maddeningly. Just set them so you can get a bunch of stuff done at the same time as the oil changes.
  • That baffling emergency code entry thing for if you lose your keys. Ain’t no-one got time to memorise how to do that!
There! Can we now all please stop saying that I’m incapable of criticising the 2018+ Gold Wing? :p Still think it’s a great bike though...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #227
Haha... so we're all clear, the OP's issue is not that he can't fit his riding jacket in a saddlebag. It's that he can't fit it in the right side saddlebag, but he can fit it in the left side. If only there were some solution here!! :ROFLMAO:
Would you please check under the bike and tell everyone, how big is that gap between the wheels and saddle bags?
I believe that would help you and everyone else who did not get my point, to understand...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
Then we are in agreement! Actually did go for my first ride in a while today because they’ve eased the lockdown restrictions here in the U.K... been a while! I just about remembered how it all worked though :)

Ok, off topic but only because people think that I can’t see any fault whatsoever in the 2018+ Gold Wing and that’s not true.

• The fact that you just have to look at the paint the wrong way and it scratches.
  • Stock seat. It hurts.
  • The fact that the nav unit doesn’t have worldwide mapping (bit of a niche annoyance this one, I admit).
  • The handlebar shift button locations on the DCT. Still doesn’t feel natural to me, but the foot shifter is an expensive extra.
  • The fact that the Honda instructions say you have to take ALL the plastic off to do ANYTHING to the damned thing, whether you really have to or not, meaning dealers charge you 100s of labour hours for every job.
  • Walking mode - I’ve done the DCT recalibration thing multiple times and it still surges.
  • The weird service interval spacing that means the oil changes are halfway between everything else all the time, maddeningly. Just set them so you can get a bunch of stuff done at the same time as the oil changes.
  • That baffling emergency code entry thing for if you lose your keys. Ain’t no-one got time to memorise how to do that!
There! Can we now all please stop saying that I’m incapable of criticising the 2018+ Gold Wing? :p Still think it’s a great bike though...
None of this complaints are technically unsupported.
If you want me, I can answer all of them...WHY...except the saddle bags?

·
Registered
709 Posts
Would you please check under the bike and tell everyone, how big is that gap between the wheels and saddle bags?
I believe that would help you and everyone else who did not get my point, to understand...
I've replied to say I get that point multiple times. Two at random, but I've posted other times about this as well.

I get the gist, you're asking "why is no-one engaging with me on my central point that Honda didn't utilise available space at the back end very well?"
The question is a fluid concept in this thread... it may be a request for technical details on why Honda chose not to expand the bags closer to the rear wheel...
But as well as asking a question about why Honda didn't build the bags closer to the wheel, that none of us are going to be able to answer as we're not Honda designers, you also made the point that because the saddlebags are too small in your opinion, the Gold Wing is not a 'touring bike.' So, you asked one narrow technical question that no-one can really answer, but also provided a few opinions that have always proved to be controversial on this forum and always lead to a great deal of debate. Is it that surprising which of those things got more airtime?

·
Registered
709 Posts
None of this complaints are technically unsupported.
If you want me, I can answer all of them...WHY...except the saddle bags?
Question confuses not point understood... technical answer wanted not.
Bags!
Technical explanation... HOW... Honda designers we are not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #231

No one said that is not GREAT touring bike...
Everyone says that is not GOLDWING TOURING BIKE. It is more sport tourer.
Or, better say, Something GREAT new. Just with old name which, most Goldwing riders believe, its not belong...

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #232
Question confuses not point understood... technical answer wanted not.
Bags!
Technical explanation... HOW... Honda designers we are not.
I don't understand why did you present all your complaints but disagree with saddlebags fact ???
Even you don't want to know why Honda did it ?
It is obvious that your technical knowledge is limited, but, that doesn't give you rights to be cynical with members who you don't understand.
Oh, yes, I don't know what they are trying to say ? But...Anyway, they are wrong...

·
Registered
709 Posts
I don't understand why did you present all your complaints but disagree with saddlebags fact ???
Even you don't want to know why Honda did it ?
It is obvious that your technical knowledge is limited, but, that doesn't give you rights to be cynical with members who you don't understand.
Oh, yes, I don't know what they are trying to say ? But...Anyway, they are wrong...
I don't disagree with saddlebags fact. I agree with saddlebags fact! I just don't think any of us will be able to answer why Honda designed it that way.

I'm sorry, I have real trouble understanding the way you write your posts. I assume that English isn't your first language, so I'm trying to cut you as much slack as possible, but the communication barrier isn't easy on this thread. For what it's worth, I did set out trying to engage with you on your question earlier back in this thread, but I think I've reached the level of mania where I'm more just seeing the funny side of this thread now :)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Y'all need to reread posts #215 - #221. That is your answer. You are all getting hot under the collar about a train that's left the station! These posts I made as examples, are all valid complaints I could make, but I still liked the vehicles. The complaints about the newer Goldwing voiced have been duly noted (and how!).
Those who do & don't agree have had a good round. I can guarantee the Kawasaki, Harley, and Cadillac forums would give me hell for some of my example posts, too! (Probably not the SeaDoo forum, most would agree, but don't know - I traded the boat for a Yamaha Warrior).
In my opinion, the people lurking on those forums might like to know my complaints. They might also want to hear those who may refute my claim's validity. I would like to hear them too, maybe. I wouldn't listen to anyone who personally attacked me though! I don't know if anybody wants to hear a pissin' contest. Let's keep it about the bike! Cheers to all!

·
Registered
272 Posts

• Stock seat. It hurts.
For someone considering a new Wing, these are very good things to look for, to help with a decision! Your Damn sure I'll inspect the saddlebags! I am NOT ready to change goldwings, but still, it's better to know, for future reference. Just to be clear:
I traded a Kawasaki Voyager with GREAT storage capacity, and a very good ride, for the F6B, with good, but less storage and better balance, with a little less weight. The test ride was the deciding factor.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I don't think the movement will grow. And I don't expect Honda to change the bag design.

Enjoy your two Goldwings, which are great touring bikes. And the 2018+ owners will continue to thoroughly enjoy their touring bikes. It's an amazing motorcycle. 👌

221 - 236 of 236 Posts