GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 60 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
You appear to be a newb so I doubt you’ve been around for many new model Goldwing introductions.

blah
blah
blah
I've owned my wing for a year. What does the age of my wing have to do with it? You made a patently false statement, and I called you out on it. Instead of providing a thoughtful counter argument, you decided to proceed, ad hominem.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
A thesis is not needed. A clear message is.
My posts were clear. You disagreed with my first comment and went off the rails. We could argue about that forever or maybe we could just agree that it's cleared up now, we still disagree, and "move on."

·
Registered
148 Posts
Guys - WE ARE ALL OKAY HERE!
Page two can just as well be deleted from this thread - it is descending into an argument, not a forum. Nobody is wrong or a bad guy - just differing opinions - nobody is looking foolish, but things are starting to get heated!
Be cool!

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
I've owned my wing for a year. What does the age of my wing have to do with it? You made a patently false statement, and I called you out on it. Instead of providing a thoughtful counter argument, you decided to proceed, ad hominem.
The part you "blah blah'd" out was a pretty good counter.

The last couple years of the GL1500 and GL1800 petered out. That likely spurred Honda, at least partially, to introduce the new model. There were plenty of GL1832s available when the 2018 was introduced. Try to find a 2016 or 2017 ABS now. I was lucky. I looked last fall and there were a couple but at full retail price. You can find a few base models out there but many didn't care for the GL1833 and opted to snap up a NOS GL1832 with NAV and ABS.

That is NOT saying it GL1833 is bad! I keep saying it and I'll say it again (to be clear), both are great bikes with clear advantages and disadvantages and people choose what's right for them.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Either Honda over produced in 2018 with the expectation of high sales or people just didn’t catch onto the new models. 3 years later since the launch and there are still plenty of 2018 and 19 models new in crates all over the place at prices much cheaper. It’s the best of both worlds you can find new 2018 models for less than 20K out the door tour and 18k for the non tour. Also I’ve seen a vast amount of meticulously maintained previous generation goldwings with low miles for 7-10K$ price range. Whatever you decide and prefer, buy something and get out and ride.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The part you "blah blah'd" out was a pretty good counter.
How was it a good counter?

The argument they originally made was that because 2018 models were still available "new" in 2020 then that must mean the current gen was a failure.

I pointed out that you can still buy 2017 models "new" in 2020, so if that meant the current gen was a failure then the previous gen must also be a failure.

They then called me a "newb" (ad hominem) and then went off talking about how sales have been declining for a while, which only further invalidates their original argument.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
How was it a good counter?

The argument they originally made was that because 2018 models were still available "new" in 2020 then that must mean the current gen was a failure.

I pointed out that you can still buy 2017 models "new" in 2020, so if that meant the current gen was a failure then the previous gen must also be a failure.

They then called me a "newb" (ad hominem) and then went off talking about how sales have been declining for a while, which only further invalidates their original argument.
Well, what I got out of it was that 2001 models sold like hotcakes. First year of a brand spanking new model. There were no leftovers. Yet there are still a ton of leftover 2018s and 2019s. Not great for an all-new model introduction. It's not a surprise that the old model sales suffer when it's been around for so long a new model is introduced but it is a surprise when the all-new model is still sitting after 3 years. Now what is the reason for that? I don't know. From there anything is speculation. But the fact that you can pick up an NOS old model for a few years really isn't much of a surprise.

·
Registered
7,964 Posts
Uh guys- I think this was about smaller saddlebags?
You are correct. :)

My first GoldWing was a beautiful 1985 GL1200 I bought in 2003. Satellite Blue Metallic. I got that to see if I would like riding and I did. So I sold that in the winter of 2005 and ordered a gold GL1800 for delivery the next March. Saw them but never even sat on one before. I really had to downsize on that because the saddlebags and trunk are way smaller than on my GL1200. I wasn't crazy about how they opened because stuff would fall out - especially the left side on the side stand. But I got use to that. I liked the lever to open then as opposed to the clips on the front and that back and having the saddlebags hang loose against the outside of the bag (it had the optional lid retainers). Remembering that, I wasn't looking forward to downsizing again with a 2018+. The 2012-17 have bigger saddlebags than the 2006. So I might get a little more spoiled with that. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Sorry to stay on topic, but to answer the original question, just Google BMW K1200S panniers or KTM SMT 660/990 panniers to view OEM panniers smaller than the current gen Wings' panniers.

Now, please resume the 'discussion' in which you folks are engaged.

Tim

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not having capacity to carry basic needs for two people for a few days was a big miss on Hondas part for a touring motorcycle IMO.

Their explanation in the introduction was that fewer people were taking longer trips, or traveling two up. To me it was an admission that they didn't design this bike for couples taking multi day trips like my wife and I.
Not sure what you mean by a "few days". My wife and I have taken trips with three overnights during the summer, and still had clothes and shoes for going out for casual dinners. I'm pretty sure we could easily do a five overnight trip if my wife doesn't bring a hard cover book that she never reads anyway.

So for me, and I'm assuming most others who've bought and are enjoying the bike, luggage space is not really an issue. The reduce weight, superb handling, 6th speed, beautiful looks and all the technology, trump a loss of luggage space. Honda's not going to reconfigure the luggage space.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
So for me, and I'm assuming most others who've bought and are enjoying the bike, luggage space is not really an issue. The reduce weight, superb handling, 6th speed, beautiful looks and all the technology, trump a loss of luggage space. Honda's not going to reconfigure the luggage space.
Yep..that pretty much sums it up...I'm very happy with my 2018 Gold Wing

·
Registered
177 Posts
On a side note, all the people that purchased 18 and 19 new models at full or near ful retail Msrp have lost out the a$$ in resale.
Resale value did not factor into my decision to buy the Wing. They last forever and I'm hoping to take it to 100K plus miles. I'm 62. I'm pretty sure this is my last bike, unless I can't hold it up sometime in the future. Then it's trike it, lighter 2-wheeled bike/super scooter or Can-AM. In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy the hell out of this awesome motorcycle, with luggage space sufficient for 2-up, 5 night trips. 😎

·
Registered
630 Posts
I’ve said it before, but as the “it’s too small!” crowd repeat themselves ad nauseum, I may as well do so as well.

If the 2018+ is too small you are packing too much stuff!

I can fit enough for weeks of solo touring in the base model without the trunk, easily. If you can’t fit enough for two people in the Tour model that has the ‘trunk’ then you are packing too much stuff. It’s very simple. Ok, maybe you need to strap a soft back on top if you want to pack camping gear too, but that’s hardly the end of the world. The camping roll bag is a fairly normal part of motorcycle touring.

Whenever I’ve posted this in the past, someone has replied “yeah, but my old Gold Wing had enough space to go touring 2-up while leaving the trunk fully empty so I could put 2 helmets in it when I got off the bike. Ergo the new one is a backwards step.” Well yeah, but the old one was also ugly as sin and I wouldn’t have been caught dead on one. Whether the new one is a backwards step or not depends on whether you have a pulse and value a bike’s desirability, or whether you don’t and just want something nice and sensible for squeezing the most groceries in. Honda are going for the former demographic more than the latter... live with it.

41 - 60 of 236 Posts