GL1800Riders Forums banner

61 - 80 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Sorry to stay on topic, but to answer the original question, just Google BMW K1200S panniers or KTM SMT 660/990 panniers to view OEM panniers smaller than the current gen Wings' panniers.

Now, please resume the 'discussion' in which you folks are engaged.

Tim
These are not the King of two up touring bikes. The Wing was... on second thought those are the 18+ Wings competition.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Not sure what you mean by a "few days". My wife and I have taken trips with three overnights during the summer, and still had clothes and shoes for going out for casual dinners. I'm pretty sure we could easily do a five overnight trip if my wife doesn't bring a hard cover book that she never reads anyway.

So for me, and I'm assuming most others who've bought and are enjoying the bike, luggage space is not really an issue. The reduce weight, superb handling, 6th speed, beautiful looks and all the technology, trump a loss of luggage space. Honda's not going to reconfigure the luggage space.
As stated, those who can make it work for you..more power to you. For me weight is not an issue, my bike performs and handle flawlessly, and there is no technology on the new wing that I want or haven't already had for almost a decade. My wife and I are careful packers and we have made a lot of sacrifices over the years in order to not pull the trailer or have additional bags strapped to the motorcycle. I can't think of a single thing that we bring to make our trips more enjoyable that I would want to leave at home. We have whittled it down to necessities. There is barely enough room for my jacket in the saddle bags on my current wing. I'm happy for the people who like the new Goldwing, but there is nothing about it that I like so much that I would be willing to give up 37 liters of storage, over 40 liters for the 12-17

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
As stated, those who can make it work for you..more power to you. For me weight is not an issue, my bike performs and handle flawlessly, and there is no technology on the new wing that I want or haven't already had for almost a decade. My wife and I are careful packers and we have made a lot of sacrifices over the years in order to not pull the trailer or have additional bags strapped to the motorcycle. I can't think of a single thing that we bring to make our trips more enjoyable that I would want to leave at home. We have whittled it down to necessities. There is barely enough room for my jacket in the saddle bags on my current wing. I'm happy for the people who like the new Goldwing, but there is nothing about it that I like so much that I would be willing to give up 37 liters of storage, over 40 liters for the 12-17
Don't you know? If you don't want to downsize then you are wrong and an idiot? Other people can make it work so that proves they are better than you. You shouldn't be allowed to comment about it either. If you mentioned your dissatisfaction in an early to late 2018 post, you are never allowed to mention it again. So there! ;) LOL!

Wouldn't that be nice on the subject of oil? :LOL:

I'd say to some people, things seem repetitive. For others - newer people or people who don't live on the boards and/or have time to read thousands of posts to see what's already been discussed, there's some new points of view and information.

·
Registered
630 Posts
There is barely enough room for my jacket in the saddle bags on my current wing.
You’re saying that when touring 2-up, the minimum amount of space you need is so much that there is enough spare space that you can put your riding jacket in the bags when you’re off the bike along with all the rest of your touring luggage?

If so, ok. But that is an unusually large amount of required storage for touring compared with most motorcyclists. So I think we need to be clear on what we’re saying in these threads - the 2018+ does not have enough storage for motorcyclists who require an unusually large amount of storage.

·
Registered
370 Posts
These are not the King of two up touring bikes. The Wing was... on second thought those are the 18+ Wings competition.
Here's what the OP said: "Checking myself every bike I can see with factory panniers... There are no smaller panniers than on 2018."

Tim

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
You’re saying that when touring 2-up, the minimum amount of space you need is so much that there is enough spare space that you can put your riding jacket in the bags when you’re off the bike along with all the rest of your touring luggage?

If so, ok. But that is an unusually large amount of required storage for touring compared with most motorcyclists. So I think we need to be clear on what we’re saying in these threads - the 2018+ does not have enough storage for motorcyclists who require an unusually large amount of storage.
No, what I'm saying is that there is barely enough room for it when the saddlebag is empty. While traveling, there is no chance that I could put my jacket in there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
No, what I'm saying is that there is barely enough room for it when the saddlebag is empty. While traveling, there is no chance that I could put my jacket in there.
My mistake, I misunderstood. Would still love to see your packing list though, as I suspect your idea of being a light packer and mine might be different. I get enough for 1 person easily in the saddlebags alone. My top box would be 100% empty if I brought it along.

That said, I have invested in good touring gear over the years, designed to pack down small. Maybe that’s the difference, some people’s waterproofs are bulkier and take up more space, things like that...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just by way of putting this out there: Here's a pic of the bike that took me all the way across the country (both ways) in 2017. It has approximately the same amount of storage as the 1833 Gold Wing. The other pic is my packing list. I stopped at a post office a few days into the journey to send some -- and by "some" I mean "a lot of" -- stuff home because I was EXTREMELY over-packed. I'm not trying to weigh in on any kind of argument here. All I'm saying is that the 1833 Wing allows the perfect amount of storage space FOR ME. I traveled for a few miles behind an 1832 Wing on this trip and there is no way on God's green Earth that I would have wanted such a behemoth. That said, the pilot seemed to love it, so I'm happy for him. Point here is that some people will never consider the 1833 a touring bike. They are entitled to their opinion, and I'm entitled to snicker at them as they lumber by... But I would never disparage someone's choice of ride to their face. I'm a teacher, and that's like the students who get into fist-fights over the kind of shoes they're wearing. It doesn't matter. Shout your frustrations to the void if it makes you feel better. I'm going to be out there spinning the tires.
early trip photo.jpg

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Just by way of putting this out there: Here's a pic of the bike that took me all the way across the country (both ways) in 2017. It has approximately the same amount of storage as the 1833 Gold Wing. The other pic is my packing list. I stopped at a post office a few days into the journey to send some -- and by "some" I mean "a lot of" -- stuff home because I was EXTREMELY over-packed. I'm not trying to weigh in on any kind of argument here. All I'm saying is that the 1833 Wing allows the perfect amount of storage space FOR ME. I traveled for a few miles behind an 1832 Wing on this trip and there is no way on God's green Earth that I would have wanted such a behemoth. That said, the pilot seemed to love it, so I'm happy for him. Point here is that some people will never consider the 1833 a touring bike. They are entitled to their opinion, and I'm entitled to snicker at them as they lumber by... But I would never disparage someone's choice of ride to their face. I'm a teacher, and that's like the students who get into fist-fights over the kind of shoes they're wearing. It doesn't matter. Shout your frustrations to the void if it makes you feel better. I'm going to be out there spinning the tires. View attachment 369124 View attachment 369125
I'm impressed, although I agree you're extremely overpacked. But it do point out some flexibility a solo rider have that two up riders don't. Add a few things that make the wife happy/comfortable making the trip and you'll understand. You also won't have the luxury of tying down a duffle in the back seat.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
My mistake, I misunderstood. Would still love to see your packing list though, as I suspect your idea of being a light packer and mine might be different. I get enough for 1 person easily in the saddlebags alone. My top box would be 100% empty if I brought it along.

That said, I have invested in good touring gear over the years, designed to pack down small. Maybe that’s the difference, some people’s waterproofs are bulkier and take up more space, things like that...
That list would vary depending on the duration, destination, and time of year the trip was taken. But it basically entails her getting one bag liner to put her items in and me getting one to put my things in. We share the trunk, that is also where we keep tire repair kit and compressor, first aid kit, rain gear, tools, and commonly shared items, etc.

·
Registered
630 Posts
That list would vary depending on the duration, destination, and time of year the trip was taken. But it basically entails her getting one bag liner to put her items in and me getting one to put my things in. We share the trunk, that is also where we keep tire repair kit and compressor, first aid kit, rain gear, tools, and commonly shared items, etc.
I’m going to have a go at a packing list for one person that I know fits easily into the saddlebags alone. Then someone kindly explain to me why doubling the ‘per person’ things in this list doesn’t fit into the saddlebags plus trunk for 2-up riders.
  • T-shirts x2
  • Packable trousers for wearing off bike x1
  • Warm sweatshirt x1
  • Underwear x3
  • Pairs of socks x3
  • Packable shoes for wearing off the bike x1
  • Toiletries in small travel bottles (most hotels provide their own soap/shampoo anyway)
  • Laundry detergent for sink washing
  • iPad and charger
  • Spare riding gloves x2 (different weights for different temperatures)
  • Heated jacket liner x1
  • Waterproof jacket x1
  • Waterproof overtrousers x1
  • Thermal boot liners x1 (my feets gets cold!)
  • Tyre repair kit and small 12v compressor
What am I missing? I did that off the top of my head so maybe one or two things, but that’s basically my touring packing. So if that fits easily into the saddlebags alone for one, why do the equivalent items for two not fit into the saddlebags plus trunk? I just can’t wrap my head around it.

(yes, I know it’s more stuff than that if camping. I’ve already conceded you’ll probably have to strap a soft bag to the trunk if camping 2-up.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
The constant complaining from the "Honda moved my cheese" crowd is exhausting.
If you don't like the new Wing, then don't buy one. Simple as that. Buy a 2017 and it'll be the last bike you ever have to own. It will out-last you.

Honda changed the Wing because they realized the old wing was only attracting an older demographic. They wanted to lower the average age of their buyers, and attract a younger demographic. When someone tries to insult the Wing by calling it a ST1800 I can only smirk. I wouldn't have even considered the Wing if they hadn't made it smaller, lighter, and more nimble. There are days I think it's still a little bloated and I miss the raw grunt of my C14... But on average, I like my Wing. I certainly never considered buying the last generation.

Love it? Buy it.

Don't love it? Move along.
or
Most of the replays missed my point. I was just wondering why the saddlebags, panniers or hardbags, or whatever you call them...are smaller than on any other bike ? That was only technical questions because the width on the them is same as on the other bikes. I can not believe that someone could be personally offended with that question ?
I didn't buy this bike for the storage capacity, this is non touring model. I love this bike for its technically advanced features, but I will like to have the same capacity as previous model, as the rear end is the same size.
That was Just a question? Why such angry reactions ??? Or maybe there is something else ???
And to answer to all members which advised me to buy the previous model or trailer. Thanks for the advice but I had 2001' yellow color. The first one which came to Australia. Now I have 2014' with only under 10.000 km. I have also Shadow VT1100 96' and Victory 2018. And all the bikes are customized with a lot of extras on them. So, if you want me to advice to buy another bike, just say ... Indian Challenger ... and I will DO...
Thanks and take it easy. We are only saying what we think.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
The part you "blah blah'd" out was a pretty good counter.

The last couple years of the GL1500 and GL1800 petered out. That likely spurred Honda, at least partially, to introduce the new model. There were plenty of GL1832s available when the 2018 was introduced. Try to find a 2016 or 2017 ABS now. I was lucky. I looked last fall and there were a couple but at full retail price. You can find a few base models out there but many didn't care for the GL1833 and opted to snap up a NOS GL1832 with NAV and ABS.

That is NOT saying it GL1833 is bad! I keep saying it and I'll say it again (to be clear), both are great bikes with clear advantages and disadvantages and people choose what's right for them.
You have a good point there..
When I did the test ride the 1833 I was impressed with it technically but not with the Grand touring or Grand luxury category that was Goldwing synonym for. Myself and a friend of my, we both had first Gen.1832. We were not happy with the new Wing and then decided to buy running out models. Being myself a gadget man who can not resist the new technology, I bought the 2018' non touring DCT model and I keep the other as a touring bike. I love the new bike but, honestly, I can not see why are they calling Goldwing. Maybe F6B or something new, different, because it is...
My friend doesn't want to change the old bike as most of the club members because of that reason.
So, checking the old and new models, I can see they are the same width on the back but the saddle bags are much smaller inside ? I have a friend with BMW 1600B, and even the same width and same wheel, I can not believe how bigger they are. Few members are saying that this model is sportier and smaller. NO, IT IS NOT. The back side is nearly the same. That is a fact and I was just asking...WHY...

·
Registered
630 Posts
or
Most of the replays missed my point. I was just wondering why the saddlebags, panniers or hardbags, or whatever you call them...are smaller than on any other bike ? That was only technical questions because the width on the them is same as on the other bikes. I can not believe that someone could be personally offended with that question ?
I didn't buy this bike for the storage capacity, this is non touring model. I love this bike for its technically advanced features, but I will like to have the same capacity as previous model, as the rear end is the same size.
That was Just a question? Why such angry reactions ??? Or maybe there is something else ???
And to answer to all members which advised me to buy the previous model or trailer. Thanks for the advice but I had 2001' yellow color. The first one which came to Australia. Now I have 2014' with only under 10.000 km. I have also Shadow VT1100 96' and Victory 2018. And all the bikes are customized with a lot of extras on them. So, if you want me to advice to buy another bike, just say ... Indian Challenger ... and I will DO...
Thanks and take it easy. We are only saying what we think.
A combination of two things.
  1. Looks. They wanted to give the rear end a low, sleek look as part of their redesign. This meant less space which some on here will tell you is the end of the world, but the looks of the bike are one of the things that attracted me, so it worked for me at least.
  2. Packaging. The final drive takes some of the space on one side. Other bikes of similar width may use a different final drive design that doesn’t eat into storage so much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That is a fact and I was just asking...WHY...
Because if they hadn't made the motorcycle smaller (including back height, not just width), then they wouldn't have sold me one. Cars go through these kinds of design changes all the time. Remember the Ford Thunderbird? First it's little, then it's big, then it's little again. Even the Wing itself has had many different "lives." Maybe they should have called it the Phoenix instead.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Because if they hadn't made the motorcycle smaller (including back height, not just width), then they wouldn't have sold me one. Cars go through these kinds of design changes all the time. Remember the Ford Thunderbird? First it's little, then it's big, then it's little again. Even the Wing itself has had many different "lives." Maybe they should have called it the Phoenix instead.
Maybe not a good analogy, the T bird kept searching for an identity and is now defunct. The Corvette on the other hand stayed true to its roots and you can still buy one more than 65 years later. Let's hope the Goldwing dont go by way of the T bird. Just saying.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since I went to full synthetic clothes instead of natural clothes I have seen a noticeable difference in the mileage between changes and with the synthetic I can really stuff the saddlebags full.😁😁

·
Registered
19 Posts
Maybe not a good analogy, the T bird kept searching for an identity and is now defunct. The Corvette on the other hand stayed true to its roots and you can still buy one more than 65 years later. Let's hope the Goldwing dont go by way of the T bird. Just saying.
Hm. You have a good point. Even the Corvette went through some pretty big design changes, though. There are some models that I would KILL to own, and others that I wouldn't take if someone gave it to me. (OK, I would take it but just to sell it to buy a different year.) It's true that it's history has been more a refinement than a transformation, though. Still... none of the Gold Wings from the last decades are the naked muscle-bike that the lineage started out as. Then came Vetter and the rest is history.
As for the Corvette? I'll take a 1970 in metal flake ruby-red, please: The History of Chevrolet's Corvette, from 1953 to Now

·
Registered
242 Posts
Smaller saddlebags were designed as the target market takes less long trips; more weekenders and wanted a less heavy, smaller, reliable bike.

Does Honda listen? Absolutely. Every year since 1984, I sent Honda a note saying "Its too big" (that's what she said") and finally I could buy another GL. I took the Krauser trunk off my 1978 after a few years and then lost it and my new one has no trunk. I have never had any issues with packing motorcycles when they had no bags.

G.

61 - 80 of 236 Posts