GL1800Riders Forums banner

81 - 100 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Hm. You have a good point. Even the Corvette went through some pretty big design changes, though. There are some models that I would KILL to own, and others that I wouldn't take if someone gave it to me. (OK, I would take it but just to sell it to buy a different year.) It's true that it's history has been more a refinement than a transformation, though. Still... none of the Gold Wings from the last decades are the naked muscle-bike that the lineage started out as. Then came Vetter and the rest is history.
As for the Corvette? I'll take a 1970 in metal flake ruby-red, please: The History of Chevrolet's Corvette, from 1953 to Now
True, but at its core the Corvette always remained a two door two seat sports car. The T bird was everything from a sports car to a four door luxury car, and everything in between. I always was partial to the C3's also. I have a 1972 stingray roadster in Elkhart Green ...soon to be Targa blue.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The GL1832 was a nice bike but there isn’t a feature on that bike I want. Plenty of room for 2 for 5 days. I am leaving in the morning for 2.5weeks - solo, no trailer. Don’t feed the animals- they have lots of time and nothing to do until mom calls dinner. Love the upgrades, technology, suspension, performance, air management and most important fun factor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thats only because they made it for 17 years.
That model should've been replaced with new one instead modified in 2012. The only thing which I would've like to see replaced, was the transmission or 6th gear. But, they were waiting for replacing it for too long, and, normally, people lost interest. Now they've made something completely new, which technically is big improvement, but they ignored the purpose of the bike which people were buying for... From my opinion, Honda should be making this bike in 2 body versions, with everything else the same. One real touring, for regular customers, and one sportier option, as it is, for the younger customers, which no one can see... It obvious that they have lost a lot of regular Goldwing customers...
I like the bike as it is, but I would like it more if it is real touring bike as Goldwing was... What about you ???

·
Registered
19 Posts
Real touring bike. Sigh. Here we go again.
My definition of "real touring bike" doesn't include excess storage space or a transparent billboard for a windshield. I'm planning my Alaska trip for next summer. It'll be at least 14,000 miles and will take me at least a month. I bought my 2018 Wing specifically for that trip. I guess what I really DON'T need or want is a "real touring bike." So, to answer the question above, no. I would NOT like my Wing as much if it was a "real touring bike." I might change my mind if and when I need extra storage space for a pack of Depends or whatever, but for me, for what I'm using it for, for the roads that are ahead of me... Nah, I'll take the new model.
Maybe the real question here is "What is a real motorcycle tour?"
Or maybe the question here is "Why do I care what someone else's definition of real is?" I've come to the conclusion that this is just like the big Harley guys who bash Sportster riders. Done posting about it; I'll stay off your lawn haha.

·
Registered
148 Posts
... From my opinion, Honda should be making this bike in 2 body versions, with everything else the same. One real touring, for regular customers, and one sportier option, as it is, for the younger customers, which no one can see... It obvious that they have lost a lot of regular Goldwing customers...
I like the bike as it is, but I would like it more if it is real touring bike as Goldwing was... What about you ???
Harley made the Street Glide and the base Road Glide for that reason. I had a base Road Glide. It was fun on the road, but I had modifications to the "Shark nose" fairing, to lessen the buffeting, people complained about. I also installed the tall windshield. Except for the rough idle at stop signs, it was a great tourer. Now, H.D. has the Milwaukee 8, which is smoother. I just don't like the price.
I went to a Kawasaki Voyager, which was smoother at idle. At 900 lb.s, it was much heavier. I thought about the Vaquero, which would be a little better balanced and slightly lighter.
That's what the F6B was meant to do. Now it's the base Goldwing (in the new version). I would like to try the new wing, but don't like the price of it, either. That's just me - I don't like to spend more for a motorcycle, than a car.
That being said, I may someday find a lightly used newer version of the wing. When I sat on the F6B, it felt different than my previous Gold Wings. I really enjoyed the test ride. I think it's my Honda Road Glide!
I personally like the new full tour wing - it is lighter, and looks more maneuverable, than the previous versions. I don't like aluminum cylinders, more complicated valve adjustment, or all of the high technology, but again - that's me. I think there are larger capacity modifications for small bag/tourpack issues. I think it might be a fun bike!

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
My definition of "real touring bike" doesn't include excess storage space or a transparent billboard for a windshield. I'm planning my Alaska trip for next summer. It'll be at least 14,000 miles and will take me at least a month. I bought my 2018 Wing specifically for that trip. I guess what I really DON'T need or want is a "real touring bike." So, to answer the question above, no. I would NOT like my Wing as much if it was a "real touring bike." I might change my mind if and when I need extra storage space for a pack of Depends or whatever, but for me, for what I'm using it for, for the roads that are ahead of me... Nah, I'll take the new model.
Or maybe the question here is "Why do I care what someone else's definition of real is?" I've come to the conclusion that this is just like the big Harley guys who bash Sportster riders. Done posting about it; I'll stay off your lawn haha.
Sounds like a great trip! Is your wife going with you?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'll call this a troll thread. The OP joined a year and a half ago. Presumably he knows something about the 2018+ bike by now. What purpose (other than stirring the shi_) could there possibly be for posting now to share your dislike?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I do understand your point...but you didn't understand my question ? AND THAT IS...
Do you mind to have more storage capacity with the same size saddle bags ???
Check the previous model Goldwing saddle bag sizes, and compare them with 2018' model and... tell me why they are much smaller in capacity with the same overall size??? I've checked that and I can tell you why... The gap between the wheel and saddle bag is much bigger, with no reason ? Then, in the left saddle bag, I can not even fit my ridding jacket easy. Need to keep pressing the jacket and pushing the cover at the same time to close the cover.
I can fit it easy and put something else too on my 2014'...
If that is normal for touring bike...for you...then good luck. For me, it is not matching touring bike category and that is why the previous models Goldwing owners, simply, do not like it and don't buy it. If I don't have the 2014', I would've not buy this model. Not everyone can afford to have 2 Goldwings and they're simply looking for different bike which they can use as a touring bike...If there is anything which is not correct or wrong... Tell me, I would like to know.
But please read this carefully before you start getting your opinion...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Did that trip myself and you’re going to have a blast! Saw a few extremely intrepid adventurers up there doing the trip on their non-touring capable 2018+ Gold Wings too. Chatting to one of those guys is when I first got interested in the bike and thinking of buying one myself. At the time I had a Yamaha Super Tenere, which had about as much storage as my 2018+ GW base model, and less than the GW Tour models have. Amazing that I survived on a bike that’s not a ‘real touring bike’ further than a few hours ride from home... but, well, I did.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I do understand your point...but you didn't understand my question ? AND THAT IS...
Do you mind to have more storage capacity with the same size saddle bags ???
Check the previous model Goldwing saddle bag sizes, and compare them with 2018' model and... tell me why they are much smaller in capacity with the same overall size??? I've checked that and I can tell you why... The gap between the wheel and saddle bag is much bigger, with no reason ? Then, in the left saddle bag, I can not even fit my ridding jacket easy. Need to keep pressing the jacket and pushing the cover at the same time to close the cover.
I can fit it easy and put something else too on my 2014'...
If that is normal for touring bike...for you...then good luck. For me, it is not matching touring bike category and that is why the previous models Goldwing owners, simply, do not like it and don't buy it. If I don't have the 2014', I would've not buy this model. Not everyone can afford to have 2 Goldwings and they're simply looking for different bike which they can use as a touring bike...If there is anything which is not correct or wrong... Tell me, I would like to know.
But please read this carefully before you start getting your opinion...
If you post a blanket statement that the 2018+ Gold Wing is not a touring bike, you will get a lot of laughing and derision from forum members like me who have toured many thousands of miles happily on the 2018+ Gold Wing.

If you post something more reasonable, and less sweeping like “I personally like touring bikes to have more storage, so the 2018+ Gold Wing doesn’t fit my needs.” You may find people happier to accept it. Some of us may still say that you’re packing too much stuff, because motorcyclists giving advice to motorcyclists is why these forums exist. I know I’m very grateful to people on motorcycle forums who advised me about packing light when I first got into motorcycle touring. But we’re a lot more likely to accept your opinion than if you make sweeping statements about the Gold Wing not being a touring bike which are clearly ridiculous.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Tell it like it is Wm Anzik, it seems on this forum the secret is, do not say a negative about the GW, that is just not right. If someone has an issue with the GW, new or old, I don't understand the 'beat down'.
You've said a mouth full. I find it quite humorous that some of the same ones that take offense to any complaints about the new model, have no problem criticizing the previous model for its precieved short comings. Truth is that I could have bought a sports tourer when I purchased my Goldwing, if that was the attributes I was looking for in a touring bike. The pre 18s are not perfect, and neither are the post 18s. You would think those concerns could be discussed on a forum without them being dismissed, or being called a troll for bringing them up.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
For me, it is not matching touring bike category and that is why the previous models Goldwing owners, simply, do not like it and don't buy it.
Really...I rode the old wing for 15 years..except for the smaller saddlebags and the helmet lock, this new wing is better in every way...best Gold Wing ever built..with the saddlebag size, yea Honda should had added a few inches of plastic to please more people..but I pulled a trailer with my old wing and I pull a trailer with this new wing on my road trips...I have more space than I can use...saddlebag size really doesnt matter to me on a road trip and the rest of the upgrades Honda made to this Gold Wing more than makes up for that one mis step Honda made...for me though the saddle bags are more than enough for a 3 or 4 day ride and for local rides..which really is most of my riding..long road trips are 2 times a year..I also can fit my helmets in the trunk and can put my jacket in the saddlebags...but I can understand if someone wants more space...plenty of old model Gold Wings , Harleys, and the huge Yamaha Venture to choose from if the new wing isnt for you...but me, Im thrilled with this new Gold Wing.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
It always makes me laugh when I read people comparing this new wing to a sports touring machine...its clear they have never ridden a sports touring machine. This new wing is lighter, a bit more nimble, and definitely is much easier to make a tight U turn on compared to the old wing, but its definitely not a sport touring machine.. :)

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
It always makes me laugh when I read people comparing this new wing to a sports touring machine...its clear they have never ridden a sports touring machine. This new wing is lighter, a bit more nimble, and definitely is much easier to make a tight U turn on compared to the old wing, but its definitely not a sport touring machine.. :)
It was a comparison in terms of capacity, not performance. I have rode sports tourers, but have yet to ride a new Goldwing. I've operated everything from motorcycles and sports cars to tractor trailer trucks. Yes they all have different handling and performance, but as tools in your garage, some are better suited to perform certain task. For me the better handling and performance is somewhat mooted if I have to pull a trailer to pack what I currently do.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
It was a comparison in terms of capacity, not performance. I have rode sports tourers, but have yet to ride a new Goldwing. I've operated everything from motorcycles and sports cars to tractor trailer trucks. Yes they all have different handling and performance, but as tools in your garage, some are better suited to perform certain task. For me the better handling and performance is somewhat mooted if I have to pull a trailer to pack what I currently do.
I had to pull a trailer with my old wing too...twice a year on my road trips...but with most of my rides the rest of the year , truth is the saddlebags and trunk are empty and all the upgrades Honda made with this new model just make this new wing a better Gold Wing than before..I find this new model every bit as comfort on long days, and every bit as nice riding in the rain as my old wing was with its huge tulsa windshield..the power windshield with the new model is wonderful and a game changer with the comfort in all riding conditions, especially in hot weather. The biggest thing I had to get over when I was buying this new model was having to spend the money after the sale to set it up like my old wing already was..new BT headsets, trailer hitch/wiring, seat mods..all cost a pretty penny on top of the bike and taxes but since then I am thrilled with the upgrades Honda did with this Gold Wing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Tell it like it is Wm Anzik, it seems on this forum the secret is, do not say a negative about the GW, that is just not right. If someone has an issue with the GW, new or old, I don't understand the 'beat down'.
Bill, no-one is beating down people who don’t like the new Gold Wing. People are entitled to their opinions. It’s the hyperbole of saying things like “a bit less storage = it isn’t a touring bike now” that people are going to react to.

I’m fine with people saying that they personally want more storage, and so the fact that there are other bikes out there with more storage outweighs the many other good points about the new Gold Wing for them, so they’re going to buy a different bike.

It’s the “new Gold Wing ain’t a touring bike anymore” or “they ruined the Gold Wing” hyperbole stuff based solely on the storage capacity as if that’s the only factor to consider when picking a bike, ignoring all the other improvements Honda made with the bike, that people react to.

Fact is, there are usually compromises when buying a bike. The fastest one might not have enough storage, the comfiest one may not have the right technology package, the best handling one might be dog ugly. You have to pick the compromises that make the most sense to you, and your use case when making your choice. But just because a bike doesn’t fit my exact requirements, doesn’t mean I go to it’s forum to say it’s a bad bike.

I don’t particularly like the old Gold Wing, but I’ve never gone to the sub-forum for the old Gold Wing to tell anyone that.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
Bill, no-one is beating down people who don’t like the new Gold Wing. People are entitled to their opinions. It’s the hyperbole of saying things like “a bit less storage = it isn’t a touring bike now” that people are going to react to.

I’m fine with people saying that they personally want more storage, and so the fact that there are other bikes out there with more storage outweighs the many other good points about the new Gold Wing for them, so they’re going to buy a different bike.

It’s the “new Gold Wing ain’t a touring bike anymore” or “they ruined the Gold Wing” hyperbole stuff based solely on the storage capacity as if that’s the only factor to consider when picking a bike, ignoring all the other improvements Honda made with the bike, that people react to.

Fact is, there are usually compromises when buying a bike. The fastest one might not have enough storage, the comfiest one may not have the right technology package, the best handling one might be dog ugly. You have to pick the compromises that make the most sense to you, and your use case when making your choice. But just because a bike doesn’t fit my exact requirements, doesn’t mean I go to it’s forum to say it’s a bad bike.

I don’t particularly like the old Gold Wing, but I’ve never gone to the sub-forum for the old Gold Wing to tell anyone that.
I agree with most of your comments, however, you need what you need. A person needing the ability of a Ford super duty is not going to buy a Ford Ranger no matter how well appointed. To have different needs is not a knock on the new Goldwing, I agree with you that everyone has to weigh that out for themselves.

Every since the K1600 came out about 2 years after I purchased my Goldwing, I've read on this forum many post stating how terrible the 1832 is, how out of date, how overweight, how bad the suspension is, you get the idea. I feel they are entitled to their opinion, and it didn't offend me that people voice them. As implied before, it's probably at least a little responsible for the current wing.

81 - 100 of 236 Posts