GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I have two, one in 4 wheels, one on two (with a passenger that was not a regular passenger).

The first one, I was still a very young and new driver and out of school for the summer. But my sister did not drive and she needed a ride to work on early morning. I took her OK, but coming back home was the problem. I was way too tired and just stared at a red light and did nothing about it, cruising on at 35, maybe 40. I suddenly woke up when I realized the cross traffic started for through for their light. There was no way I was going to get stopped. I went from the right lane "#3 lane" to the left "#1" through the intersection and back to the #3 lane past the intersection for an upcoming "exit" I needed missing everyone. I did not spin out or loose control of the car in any way. I was glad to be home from that. That is my worst "haunting" incident for 4 wheels.

Two wheels..... A great deal more recent, but still several years ago. I used to ride with a couple of meet-up groups where available rear seats were sometimes offered to others that liked riding, but no bike. One group I ended up giving up on riding with, partly due to this, but mostly due to other stupid things the group as a whole did. They liked riding as a mob and traffic law be da__ed. We were on a ride on a very twistie road, and any time the group came up to slower traffic, they would pass at any hint of viability. And when the first bikes got around, it was back up to speed and no concern about the other 15 bikes behind them not able to pass for oncoming traffic or not even being able to see oncoming traffic. I started getting behind enough to start loosing sight of the other bikes (and I did not know where lunch was). I ended up finding a spot that seemed to have a fair distance of viability for oncoming traffic that had a hard left curve just ahead. I took off and the instant I got in front of the car I was passing was the same instant that the left curve came up and the same instant I absolutely had to get back in my lane of travel for a car coming the other way. I had to hang an instant hard left at speed just a split second after getting back on the right side of the center lines. All I can say is "Thank God, that he gave me the skill I had to have to hang that turn". I don't know if my passenger needed new undies after that she did not say a word about it, but I think the person driving that car may have. I also think the car finally pulled out at the next pull-out (after ignoring many before I passed) because the entire group was all back together in less than a mile.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have two, one in 4 wheels, one on two (with a passenger that was not a regular passenger).

The first one, I was still a very young and new driver and out of school for the summer. But my sister did not drive and she needed a ride to work on early morning. I took her OK, but coming back home was the problem. I was way too tired and just stared at a red light and did nothing about it, cruising on at 35, maybe 40. I suddenly woke up when I realized the cross traffic started for through for their light. There was no way I was going to get stopped. I went from the right lane "#3 lane" to the left "#1" through the intersection and back to the #3 lane past the intersection for an upcoming "exit" I needed missing everyone. I did not spin out or loose control of the car in any way. I was glad to be home from that. That is my worst "haunting" incident for 4 wheels.

Two wheels..... A great deal more recent, but still several years ago. I used to ride with a couple of meet-up groups where available rear seats were sometimes offered to others that liked riding, but no bike. One group I ended up giving up on riding with, partly due to this, but mostly due to other stupid things the group as a whole did. They liked riding as a mob and traffic law be da__ed. We were on a ride on a very twistie road, and any time the group came up to slower traffic, they would pass at any hint of viability. And when the first bikes got around, it was back up to speed and no concern about the other 15 bikes behind them not able to pass for oncoming traffic or not even being able to see oncoming traffic. I started getting behind enough to start loosing sight of the other bikes (and I did not know where lunch was). I ended up finding a spot that seemed to have a fair distance of viability for oncoming traffic that had a hard left curve just ahead. I took off and the instant I got in front of the car I was passing was the same instant that the left curve came up and the same instant I absolutely had to get back in my lane of travel for a car coming the other way. I had to hang an instant hard left at speed just a split second after getting back on the right side of the center lines. All I can say is "Thank God, that he gave me the skill I had to have to hang that turn". I don't know if my passenger needed new undies after that she did not say a word about it, but I think the person driving that car may have. I also think the car finally pulled out at the next pull-out (after ignoring many before I passed) because the entire group was all back together in less than a mile.
this is one of the inherent risks in riding in a group like this, especially because we tend to pressure ourselves to keep up and may take risks that we normally would not consider.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
Mid 70s on 250XL Honda that I had stripped down to minimum with plastic tank and fenders. Cam, pipe and head work. Went to local stock car track on Sunday afternoon after they had raced night before. Was racing around track as hard as I could go. Woke up laying against guardrail about 4 hours after I got there. No idea wtf happen, but hurting everywhere. Got back on bike and went home. Slowly

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was a Illinois State Trooper for 33 years, drove over a million miles in those years and never had a crash...always on 4 wheels. Then in 2002 on my 2nd Goldwing I was being a Dumb--s and looking at my GPS while coming to a stop intersection I looked up and WHOA I was too close to a stopped car ahead of me...BANG I ran into it...hit my nose on the top of the w/shield..nose broke..Wing not rideable...ambulance...lucky me all have is a scar on the top of (big) nose...Wing transported home on transport...me on a bus....:mad:

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was riding around bored on my Aprilia Tuono. Already with a cast on my right wrist, I thought it a good time to practice 12 o'clock wheelies. I actually was doing pretty good but with a cast on the throttle hand there was very little "finesse". Well, I went way past 12 o'clock and saw nothing but blue sky. The brake was covered but the front end hit the ground so hard it pushed the forks up a good inch and busted the nose off the Tuono. Needless to say, I went home after that.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
this is one of the inherent risks in riding in a group like this, especially because we tend to pressure ourselves to keep up and may take risks that we normally would not consider.
Yes, basically the reason I quit riding with them. The other meet-up group I rode with was a singles group and their #1 rule was "Your ego must be left at home!" It was never a "try and keep up" ride and a good bit more structure to the groups.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Plenty of stupid things when I was single and in my 20’s but that’s to be expected, right? However, when in my 40’s with 3 kids I found myself wide open on a Yamaha 600 through the forest highway. No visibility, plenty of things could have popped up in front of me (deer, hunters flipping a u turn, etc). By the grace of God nothing did. I realized my stupidity soon after and started to take my search for adrenaline to the race track. That’s where I leave it now, much safer where everyone is going the same way, known asphalt conditions and no cars.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My little bonehead story is from many years ago, when I was still in my 20s, living on on the Jersey Shore, and still riding my first bike -- a Yamaha Seca 750 with a full faring and hard bags, kinda like an early mini Gold Wing, which itself might've been a dumb choice for a first bike but then it was love at first sight the moment I saw it in the Manhattan dealership. Anyway, was at a house party and my ex-girlfriend was there with another guy. I was still pretty broken up by that break-up, and when I was getting ready to leave, I saw her walking out with her friends and thought I'd show off a little. Gunned the bike down the little suburban street, passing her with a flourish, and then, almost as an afterthought, realized I had to make the next left. Don't remember exactly what I did wrong. Maybe just came off the gas really suddenly while I was still in first, or ****ed up with the clutch or brake, because suddenly the bike seized up and just tossed me hard to the ground. I picked myself up, got the bike up, and then got my final reward when my ex walked over holding a piece of my windshield and handed it to me, asking me if I was okay. Guess it was a combination of shock and embarrassment, but I said yeah, no worries. Then I chucked the windshield fragment in one of my sidebags and motored home with loose pieces of the bike still flying off. My left knee was scraped and banged up pretty bad (not so much protective gear back then). Never told my mom, who never approved of me riding anyway, but my sister, a pediatrician, drove in from Westchester the next day and took me to get an X-ray. Nothing broken, thank God, but it seemed like my kneecap was numb for about 5 years. I guess the dumb thing I really did wasn't technical, it was showing off for an ex on a suburban street on a bike I hadn't mastered.

Actually, another if not dumb but maybe a little too bold-for-my-nonexistent-skillset incident happened when I actually bought that bike. Not to be seen as a newbie by the New Yorker salesman, I had acted like I knew my way around bikes. But when I rolled up on the back of a friend's Honda Nighthawk to buy it, and he rolled it out onto the sidewalk, I got on and promptly stalled it a dozen times. The salesman looked at me and said, "I thought you said I could ride?" At which point, I admitted I never had. He backed into the store making a "washing-my-hands-of-this" motion. Ah well. My friend coached me and I got it successfully into first gear and then second and drove it up and down the sidewalk in front of the dealership a few times. Then he took me out into the not-too-busy streets of Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood where we rode around for an hour or so. I actually dropped the bike once at a standstill, probably when I came to an awkward stop. Dropped it gently but it still put a little scrape on one of my new hard bags. Then we rode back through the Lincoln Tunnel and down I-95 to the Jersey Shore. He said sometimes I'd be going 45 and sometimes I'd be doing 70. I didn't notice. All I was thinking was, "Whoa, I'm driving my new motorcycle home a couple hours after I got it - and I never rode before! Cool!" Maybe that jump-started my learning curve but two weeks later I went on a ride with a bunch of Vietnam vets on their Harleys. One of them said, "I can't hear your bike!" Another complimented me on keeping up with only two weeks of experience under my belt. But I also had a good teacher - my friend who drove me up to the dealership and followed me back home. Took me out almost every day for those two weeks and had me practicing in parking lots - U-turns, full-speed stops, the works. Then took me through every kind of highway and street. The best part of that first group ride was when the last Harley rider peeled off on the way home, and I was on my own - just a learner's permit in my pocket and a ways still to go to get home. It felt great and that first-time-on-my-own feeling has stayed with me. Guess it's partly why I'm still riding close to 40 years later... but trying hard not to do any more dumb ****.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Redliner100, your post forced me to recall the level of "DUMBNESS" I'm capable off!

It's about 5 AM on a gorgeous early1970's Sunday morning; I'm cruising the center lane on the freeway on my Sportster to meet up with riding buddy for a long road trip. I'm pretty much the only one on the freeway when a Ford Country Squire Station Wagon complete with husband (driver), wife (right front seat) and back seat full young kids pulls up on my right side. I couldn't figure out why this guy would just park along side of me on an empty freeway, so I slowed down and and so did he, so I sped up and so did he. This slow down/speed up thing went on for a while when he stared to move into my lane, crowding further to the left. Everyone in the car was laughing hilariously and the more the kids laughed, the more he would crowd me.

When I would speed up, he would catch me (I didn't want to continue to do triple digits on a city freeway) and ride my ass within inches, forcing me to go faster (never a cop around when you need one). At one point I moved into the center lane and he pulls up along side of me in the right lane and once again begins to crowd my lane coming within inches of my right leg. I decided that this nightmare went long enough and it was time to show him that he wasn't the only crazy out there. I raised my right boot and kicked a nice gash in his phony wood grain front door. My bike instantaneously moved to the left nearly hitting the left guard rail a couple of times (I couldn't believe it, after all, I've seen this move in the movies dozen's of times and this never happened)! Finally after what seemed like days, I regained control of the bike and rode off into the sunrise, never to see the the jerk in the dented Ford Country Squire again!

The sad part is, when you're 17-18 years old and s--t like that happens, it only reinforces your belief that you TRULY are invincible.

Jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Drove highly under the influence and somehow it involved cutting donuts in a muddy field on my Suzuki water buffalo. (WTF?) This did not happen again in the last 45 years. 'nuff said.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Fell asleep! In my youth I worked in one county and lived in another. I also worked the 11:00 – 7:00 midnight shift. Would to ride my 1972 750 Honda back-and-forth to work. You know what it’s like to work all night then get on your bike all tired and ride 70 miles home with the morning sun coming up? On that day, I couldn’t have held my eyes open with a wench. Fell asleep, ran completely off the road (which woke me up) and I recovered without harm. Scared the crap out of me but I was wide awake after that. Soon thereafter I found suitable work closer to home. I've done plenty of stupid things but this is one I haven't forgotten.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Plenty of stupid things when I was single and in my 20’s but that’s to be expected, right? However, when in my 40’s with 3 kids I found myself wide open on a Yamaha 600 through the forest highway. No visibility, plenty of things could have popped up in front of me (deer, hunters flipping a u turn, etc). By the grace of God nothing did. I realized my stupidity soon after and started to take my search for adrenaline to the race track. That’s where I leave it now, much safer where everyone is going the same way, known asphalt conditions and no cars.
You know it. I found myself riding the forest in northern California at dusk (unfortunately unavoidable) on a rented Wing, came around a curve and came upon TWO deer just standing on the asphalt. Fortunately I was on high alert for wildlife and they didn't disappoint. no close call but a stark reminder of the risk.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Riding while on Blood thinners -- Not me -- Just some thing I read about... 😆

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
We were riding from northwest Indiana to Lake George, NY on our trike. There was a car in front of us on the interstate that kept slowing down then speeding up when we'd try to pass. Instead of letting him play his games, I kicked the trike down a couple gears and hammered the throttle. As soon I got around him my gas stop exit appeared. I hit that exit curve at nearly 90 MPH and almost ended up in the grass. The rear tires were all but locked up trying to get it slowed down. All the while, my wife was in my ear screaming at me "what the f*%k are you doing". That was the dumbest thing I've done on a motorcycle. The smartest thing is I realize how dumb I was.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Early 70's, out of The Bronx, on my first bike-BSA Royal Star (500cc)-early on my first tour around the country. (Wait, it gets dumber). An Interstate somewhere in N.C. in the middle of the night, needle on 'E'. So I'm hoping for an exit sign with a gas station indication, while this semi I'm closing on is blocking my view. Time to back off a bit, but that would be smart, so I pass it instead. Just as I pull ahead, I see an exit/gas sign I've been looking for. I open the throttle fully, get back to the right without cutting off the trucker, and my main tank goes empty. I flip to reserve and the engine fires up just as his air horns notify me of impending doom. I steered onto the shoulder a second or two before he blasted past me. It's 50 years, and I still hear the horns and feel that passing breeze. That night I learned why it's so important to leave ample room after passing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Early 70's, out of The Bronx, on my first bike-BSA Royal Star (500cc)-early on my first tour around the country. (Wait, it gets dumber). An Interstate somewhere in N.C. in the middle of the night, needle on 'E'. So I'm hoping for an exit sign with a gas station indication, while this semi I'm closing on is blocking my view. Time to back off a bit, but that would be smart, so I pass it instead. Just as I pull ahead, I see an exit/gas sign I've been looking for. I open the throttle fully, get back to the right without cutting off the trucker, and my main tank goes empty. I flip to reserve and the engine fires up just as his air horns notify me of impending doom. I steered onto the shoulder a second or two before he blasted past me. It's 50 years, and I still hear the horns and feel that passing breeze. That night I learned why it's so important to leave ample room after passing.
and by today's standards, that BSA was a toy, betting it had at most 45 hp.
sounds like you and I were cutting our teeth about the same time. my first ride was a 450cc Honda CL Scrambler. I wanted the 350 but dealer was all out of inventory and I was "forced" to go with the bigger bike. Your flippin' to reserve brought back memories.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, this is sort of off topic, not the stupidest thing that could have killed me but one of my most regretted moments involving motorcycles. Some of you may think it was stupid on my part.

Home for the summer from college. Was out cruising around my small hometown one warm summer evening and two girls I knew flagged me down from their car. The driver said her friend "needed a man" for the evening so I obliged and put her on the back of my new Yamaha 650 Midnight Maxim (gold chrome). She was getting pretty touchy/feely so I drove to my house to get a blanket out of my Dads' car trunk, planning to head for the dark city park. While I went to get the blanket, I mistakenly let her remain seated on the bike, on the sidestand, and I heard the sound of my bike hitting the ground. Sure enough, she tipped it over. Said she was a bit dizzy from the booze she had been drinking and lost her balance on the bike. I was so pissed and worried the bike was damaged that I dumped her off at her house so I could properly inspect the bike. The bike was fine and I regret my misplaced priorities that night and a lost opportunity. Nice looking gal too.

·
Premium Member
2003 GL1800
1,983 Posts
Not the most horrific of events, but I climbed the big hill at our hill climb site......after a guy on a Montessa 250 failed to make it past the half way point.......on a Vespa 150GL with a knobby tire on the back. There was a lot of standing and leaning over the front shield to keep the front tire on the ground and me from cart wheeling backward down the hill. I obviously rubbed him the wrong way as he threw his cigarette, loaded his bike, and left....in a huff. Vespa's and hill climbs, who knew. ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well it appears we are the Boldest of the bunch for sharing those less well thought out times we could have met the Grim Reaper. Either we are unique among the elite riders on this forum or most plan to take their secrets to the grave and never share the less than prudent things they've done on two wheels. I started this thread because I've realized that anytime someone shares their less than stellar riding moments it gives the rest of us pause and an opportunity to reflect that can only serve to improve our awareness of things to avoid.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Nine days on the road. My wife and I on the wing, son on a 1100 shadow. Crossing the Tamiami Trail in Florida I was thinking that the gravel was making a lot of noise, hmmm. Son pulls along side and screams what the f&%# are you doing? I open my eyes and jerk back up on the concrete. Hollar at my wife, why didn't you say something? She says huh whats going on? Headed to a motel and took a day off.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts