GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many GL 1800 owners who have absolutely no regard for Honda published load limits. I am specifically talking about the guy who is at the limit with just he and his wife and a full tank of gas. Now he starts loading for a trip and find they don't have enough space. No problem, just add a trunk mounted duffel bag. Still not enough space and don't want to ask the little lady to consider leaving something home, no problem, there is this slick hitch mount luggage rack that will give us more space.
YAHOO!!!!!
And did we forget to consider the 50 pounds of chrome and lights that we just had to have to look cool at the meeting.
Now some of us are approaching 50 to 100 percent overload on the bike and think nothing of it.
Look, we all know that our bikes can safely carry more than the published limit but that does not mean we can safely dissregard the subject as some GL 1800 riders have elected to do so. I sincerely hope that neither you nor your trusting passenger must suffer some serious misshap beore learning that Honda load limits should not be totally ignored. Just because you got away with it for 10 years on the 1500 does not guarantee that you will continue to get away with it on the 1800. It is a very different mule.
If some of you may think I might be trying to stir the pot, you are right.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Are you the New, Self-Appointed, World, Load Limit Cop? More commomly known as the NSAWLLC. I guess everyone needs a hobby.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Surprisingly, my left saddlebag with the air compressor, flare lights, flashlight, tire repair kit, oem kit, socket set, extra allen sets, compact rachet wrenches, dc portable light, etc. ; weighs in at 6 lbs. still have room to load. Will leave it as is though for saftey measure of road JUMPS. This is why the trailer is in the yard, for the long haul trips. 10 lbs of cosmetics for the lady, extra CLOTHS, room for shopping packages, etc. Seems no matter how you cut it, there will always be exccess baggagde to load some where..HONDA will just have to raise the engineering standards to keep up with our DEMANDS, or keep showing up in courts cases as standard proceedure for a lawyers days pay. Standard engineering practice is 150% capacity of rated load. Some room for error, bikers' push the envolope anyway !

·
Registered
561 Posts
I haven't met a rider yet who hasn't ridden over load. Some do so just by sitting on the bike! :D

I've always tried to keep it light (using a lot of backpacking gear, etc.) but more importantly - balanced. Too much weight to one side is more dangerous, IMHO, than exceeding the load limits.

You're right about the 1800 being "a different mule". It's a lot better.

·
Registered
759 Posts
JW--I think you bring up a valid safety point. Honda has specific load limits listed in the owners manual. To me, those limits are listed for a rider safety reason. It is true that you can overload anything and get away without mishap for however many times one does that. But, does that make your bike safe if no mishap has occurred?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
WHAT?? You mean that I can't take my pentium3 and 17" monitor w/color printer on the Wing with me when I go for a long ride? And my 5hp air compressor with all the air tools and sears lift, and tire changer? Dangit!

Wonder why this thread needs scrolling to read it all? There weren't any large pix that I could see?

·
Registered
188 Posts
i understand the concernabout overweights but i would be more concerned with the trailer folks pull thats weight is almost or more than the bike with no trailer brakes.....now that would scare me :shock:

G

·
0 Posts
JW(Nor-Cal) said:
ook, we all know that our bikes can safely carry more than the published limit but that does not mean we can safely dissregard the subject as some GL 1800 riders have elected to do so. .
my wife thinks you are in a round about way saying she needs to lose some weight

·
Registered
552 Posts
I wouldn't say that I have no regard for published weight limits.

But in reality, since my wife has no desire to ride her own bike. Should I sell my newly acquired prized possession because with just our combined weight, I am within 10 lbs of the 'published' limits. This means if I cannot exceed this weight, we can barely bring along enough for a weekend let alone a 9 day trip. Yes, I can purchase a trailer, but Honda doesn't recommend that either, so out with the trailer, why should this be ignored when commenting on the load limit issue.

Your statement comes across that I'm trying to bring 100 plus pounds of cargo. In fact we did our 'test packing' today to see where we stood. We had purchased the Honda luggage liners and packed what we feel we need to get by with on this trip. The 'wife' was awesome last year on our trip and again with our test packing this time. We packed with what we feel we needed to do the trip and enjoy it. We then weighed the items coming in at a total of 31 lbs (bags included). It resulted in both side compartments at 11 and 12 lbs each with the remainder in the trunk. In fact we found that we have some room left over in the trunk. Not much but some. In this case, it's not so much weight of the items, but in fact bulk. Now here again, this puts me 21 lbs over the limit. So I should leave the bike at home and take the car? (remember, trailer is not recommended).

Lets address the issue of 50lbs of accessories. I haven't put anything on the bike except the Utopia backrest, I may add a spoiler and rear speakers next year. I don't foresee anything else at this time. But using my current configuration which will be the same on my trip, I would be at 7% over the load limit. If I added a hitch and cargo carrier, I would add another 16 lbs (Rivco 8lbs, 10-12 for others?). Now I would be at 11.1% over the limit, if I doubled the weight for the rack I would be at 15% over.
I somehow fail to see how I would be severly overloading the bike.

Yes, it's still overloading, but I have to believe that are alot of people riding 2up are at or over the weight limit like us before adding items for the trip. At the same time, I'm not even approaching your 50% of overloading the bike. It is a safety issue and I am very careful on loading of my bikes and our wellbeing. I've been riding since I was 12, so it's not like I'm some ignorant moron that feels he can just add load points to the bike because I can. My vtx riding 2 up was 10% over without luggage, that's why we bought the wing. We are just new at long distance touring and with the vehicle we purchased to do it with.

I consider riding overloaded by 10% an acceptable margin. With that knowledge when the trip comes, to ride accordingly with the various road and weather conditions that we will come upon.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I haven't met a rider yet who hasn't ridden over load

Where do you want to meet? :luf1:

With my wife and I combined we have 100lbs to spare. :s27:

·
Registered
561 Posts
Brian_Fenner said:
I haven't met a rider yet who hasn't ridden over load
Where do you want to meet? :luf1:
Well, I'm from Maple Grove, so the next time I'm visiting my parents, I'll meet you both for lunch or something. :)

·
Registered
20,947 Posts
Mark you done good, you have taken a serious look at your luggage and actually know what it weighs and have carefully considered the consequences. Sounds like some may have been offended by JW bringing up this subject but they shouldn't be,we should be thanking him. Sometimes it is good to be reminded of possible dangers so we will be aware and have an opportunity to deal with them before something goes seriously wrong. I have witnessed many riders pulling unbelievably rediculous loads with motorcycles and not being the least bit concerned.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Brian wrote:
With my wife and I combined we have 100lbs to spare.
I bet both of you have to run around in the shower together to get wet, too! LOL :rain1: Don't get me wrong, I sort of envy you. No, I do envy you. I haven't seen 132 lbs since junior high school. But, at 6'0". I think I'd look kind of funny at 132, though.

·
Chard Member
12,962 Posts
Weight limit, what weight limit?

When I'm traveling I just hang a "Wide Load" sign on the back of the Wing! :D NOT REALLY!

·
Registered
810 Posts
Weight Limit?

Weight Limit? Weight limit?

Fine, give me another excuse to leave the wife at home!!!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Sounds like the original poster, described us to a T. But that's the reason I have a 1800 CC motorcycle. I always liked the 1100's, but why have to take longer to get to high gear. It's too hard to lose all that weight. Just buy a bigger motorcycle. I suppose if Honda comes out with a 2100CC engine, I'll have to put on a few more pounds, just to see if it can handle it. Ha Ha :D I'm LARGE & in charge, & lovin every minute of it!

·
Registered
258 Posts
It always amazes me that some people seem to think that they can ignore some rules, but judge others on what they do. Example: People are going down the freeway at 75 in a 70. The guy in the rear is screaming that the front guy is supposed to move over "slower traffic to the right". The front guy is saying that he is already speeding so if the rear guy wants to go faster, then he can go around. Is there some pecking order to what rule or law is more important than another?

Some may overload their bikes by choice and it is their choice to do so. Others may say it is ok to scrape chrome in the corners, split lanes, drink while riding, listening to music in the headphones or something as simple as aftermarket lights that are not DOT approved. The main thing is that we ride within our limits and to know what your bikes limits are. AND most of all, be respectful to other out there on the road, whether on 2 wheels or four.

·
I U Turn
888 Posts
I don't suppose that any lawyers have any thing to do with load limits that are published by the OEM's. No way ,right?
Mick :yw1: 8) 8)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts