GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The engine of this 5th gen was pulled and reinstalled at a well known Honda dealership for transmission repair. Since pulling an engine is challenging, lets assume they put their best tech on the job. It was then shipped to me from VA a short time later. I removed the lower and upper center cowl, the seat, the shelter, and the fuel tank. It has many, many "missing" or "incorrect" parts. In fact nearly $650 worth of missing or incorrect parts. Below are 8 pictures.

Who can be the first to name each part missing in each picture ??? It's a 2007, but these pictures would be relative to any GW from 2006-17 that came with a Comfort Package.

Besides me, is anyone applauded ??? Please keep in mind, that on some of the pictures, it is the same on the other side, so the error is x 2.

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is what's missing.

In #1, the tech used a vacuum plug and capped off the port to the coolant recovery hoses. The coolant tank is there, but not the hoses.

#2 is missing the end elbow vent to the vent grill down by the right knee.

Picture #3 is missing the ground cable under that bolt.

The grommet is one of 4 for the fuel tank. On this one, the collar is missing and now the grommet is smashed and needs replaced too.

On each side is ignition brackets. Both are missing. The brackets also have a bolt hole in for the 2 center bolts for the lower center cowl.

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This picture is missing the heat-vent cable. It is completely missing.

Last are both fresh air ducts that are missing going to the air box.

Reactions: Drair

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are more than 70 parts missing or incorrect. The cost for the parts missing is $641, and the labor to replace them is over $1000.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I was gonna say that in #7 and #8, the wire guard loom for the two apparently after-market farkles installs was missing. Not OEM issue but general indicator of poor quality work on that bike.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
Yikes!

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OMG. That's incredible! And probably not an isolated case. Pretty sad.
Unfortunately it's not. This is just the first one like this in 2020.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Not that surprising, there are a lot of unqualified people that think they are mechanics. And unscrupulous dealers, so hard to find people with integrity anymore. BTW are all your models quarantined these days they don't change very often any more, or does the new site limit your ability to show case them?

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was gonna say that in #7 and #8, the wire guard loom for the two apparently after-market farkles installs was missing. Not OEM issue but general indicator of poor quality work on that bike.
You are so correct. All wires should have add'l sheathing for redundancy.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Whoever did the initial work on that machine may have a storehouse of additional parts laying around.

If it were me and my machine, I'd make the individual pay for the parts that are missing unless they can cough them up. I'd also back charge them for installation fees. If need be, a little legal action could stop any further bleeding caused by that individual. Luckily its not me. I prefer to do my own work. If I can't do the work, I make sure someone like Greg does.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Are you SMARTER than a 5th grade Honda tech ???

Shoddy and dishonest work.
The fact that bits are missing speak volumes.

Like others are saying, if it were mine I would engage a Competent tech to obtain and remedy the cluster. Then pay the competent tech and submit a copy on the invoice to the company responsible for the cluster and invite them to reimburse me. If they argued or appeared to be dragging their feet in any way, I would investigate a legal remedy.

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the complaints this customer had was coolant smell. Thus the need to pull the pocket to pressure test the system, which then turned into finding no return hose, and the need to pull the seat, shelter, and fuel tank.

An estimate was giving to repair a coolant leak under the left head, and the customer was advised that the system would be pressure tested after to verify if there are no others. Unfortunately, as of yesterday afternoon there is another coolant leak. It's most likely coming from an o-ring around a pipe that sits under the intake manifold. It is possible that the o-ring was damage upon installation, as well as no prepping of the bore that the o-ring sits in.

With the shelter off, it is possible to remove the pipe and inspect the o-ring, and replace it and retest. However if a leak is still evident, that then means the engine needs pulled, and the intake removed to prep the bore that the o-ring goes into. In either case, a lot more labor and I'm sure the list of missing parts will increase once the shelter is pulled.

Another issue with this Wing is that the clutch is unusual hard to pull in. Of coarse that starts with a lever inspection and going from there. However, the clutch hose routing is all wrong. I should also say that the routing for the hoses to the back of the rads are routed incorrectly too, which can cause them to be pinched some when the fuel tank is installed.

Routing of hoses and harnesses is critical on 5th gens. If readers ever read about 5th gens not taking accessories well, such as electrical bling, routing is why. There is very little room for it and rarely does an installer do a good job when installing them.

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The other issue with this Wing ... I wish the customer lived closer. I would never want someone to feel "trapped" into fixing something because his Wing was shipped several states away for repair and the "shop is "now" taking advantage of the situation." If he was a local, show-n-tell works much better in a situation such as this, but he is not :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
I feel sorry for this owner after being taken advantage by the previous repairer. I am sure he is going to have to fight them tooth and nail to try and get them to pay for their "mistakes".
Sad world we live in today where so few take pride in their work!

·
Vendor
16,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I feel sorry for this owner after being taken advantage by the previous repairer. I am sure he is going to have to fight them tooth and nail to try and get them to pay for their "mistakes".
Sad world we live in today where so few take pride in their work!
It's out of warrantee. However, if management at the dealer knows the tech is known for this type of work, they may easily side with the customer. If not, they can argue that he's not, and that it is now out of warranty.

The entire situation would be completely different if say, all of this was discovered a few days after receiving it back from the prior repair. At this point, the dealer has no way of knowing if the Wing's been to other shops, and possibly those other shops had left all these parts out.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
How would you like to have bought it as a used bike. That would not be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 25 Posts