GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...meet a snow plow while riding your Goldwing? Coming down the Million Dollar Hwy this afternoon, there was almost no traffic. Only saw one other motorcycle all the way from Montrose to Durango. Rounded a curve and there was a snow plow headed north.....??? Freaked me out. Figured they might be expecting some snow in the higher elevations by morning and were pre-positioning equipment(?)

spending the night in Durango and headed for Utah tomorrow, Redding CA by Tuesday. Don't really have a definite route planned. Suggestions?

Wave if you see us... Yellow 1800 being chased by a red 1500.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
824 Posts
Stop in Cortez and visit the cliff dwellers at Mesa Verde National park. Very Interesting. Then take the 160 south to the junction of the 41 and follow up to the 191 and take the 163 which brings you into monument valley. The icing on the cake is to take the 261 north to hwy 95. This is the MOKI Dugway (google it) a very interesting ride and don't let it intimidate you its very do-able on a wing, I've done it twice. Going up is way better than going down IMHO. Take the 95 west and stop at Natural Bridges Park. Keep going west and this takes you to the junction to the 24 which brings you to Capitol Reef National Park (hotels here at Torrey). This leads to US 12 which is rated as one of THE top ten bike roads in the US. It also brings you to Bryce Canyon, then Zion National Park. 2 of the best parks in the Western US. Then you can work your way west from there. I really like Death Valley especially Scotty's Castle. I'm pretty sure Tioga Pass will probably be closed (Yosemite) due to snow but you never know. Any way its fantastic area to ride. For what its worth these are better than Moab, only because there is more to see. Moab is great but its a bit isolated from the rest of the good stuff.

·
Registered
20,955 Posts
On the way home from Arkansas last week I passed a few plow trucks on I35 north of Des Moines that were plowing and spreading salt

·
Registered
673 Posts
My Brother and I and a few other bikers got caught in snow storm on August 8 th going over Wolf Creek Pass between South Fork and Pagosa Springs Co. Had to wait up on top for a snow plow.
Thomas

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I am from Colorado and spent many years living up in the Mountains, a little further north in Glenwood Springs. It is a little late in the year to start managing snow removal equipment. It was probably some guy headed up to Ouray to pick up personal effects. :) No really, my guess is that they were taking it to Montrose or Junction for service.

By the way, Thomas, you better get to posting quick, "666" is not a good post count. ;-)

·
IronMan
17,469 Posts
ZION IS ONE OF MY FAVORITES !!! YOU RIDE DOWN TO BOTTOM OF CANYON AND GO THRU 1.1 MILE BRIDGE CUT THRU MTN. ALSO IN UTAH BELEIVE RT.95 TIES INTO 12 IS SCENIC RD ALSO. AMAZING HOW BEAUTIFUL BUNCH OF ROCKS ARE.:thumbup:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Utah hwys, 95, 24, 12, really good riding area.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I am from Colorado and spent many years living up in the Mountains, a little further north in Glenwood Springs. It is a little late in the year to start managing snow removal equipment. It was probably some guy headed up to Ouray to pick up personal effects. :) No really, my guess is that they were taking it to Montrose or Junction for service.

By the way, Thomas, you better get to posting quick, "666" is not a good post count. ;-)
Nope, major winter storm setting up in the Rockies for this weekend. By the way, this is very typical for Colorado so don't put away your snow tires yet.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
...meet a snow plow while riding your Goldwing? Coming down the Million Dollar Hwy this afternoon, there was almost no traffic. Only saw one other motorcycle all the way from Montrose to Durango. Rounded a curve and there was a snow plow headed north.....??? Freaked me out. Figured they might be expecting some snow in the higher elevations by morning and were pre-positioning equipment(?)

spending the night in Durango and headed for Utah tomorrow, Redding CA by Tuesday. Don't really have a definite route planned. Suggestions?

Wave if you see us... Yellow 1800 being chased by a red 1500.

:thumbup:
I've seen more than 1:nojoke: revrunt, I hope you got my PM the other day about the Utah weather.
We had 60 mph winds and rain here today, more tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Nope, major winter storm setting up in the Rockies for this weekend. By the way, this is very typical for Colorado so don't put away your snow tires yet.
Ok, well maybe you misunderstood (oh you east slopers!!! :)). I have woken to three inches of snow on my sleeping bag in the middle of June. I just said that it is late in the season to start managing snow removal equipment. April and May are the best snow storms.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts