GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
They fail to mention "why" the tire blew on the van except assuming it was from tire age. This is very reason we see tire pressure monitor systems on most if not all new cars as well as our 2009 goldwings. Drive the highway at 75mph on a flat tire it will eventually heat up enough to blow. That's why those semi tire carcasses are all over the side of the road. Either that or all these semis are running old tires which I doubt when they cover 100,000 miles a year. Of course no one knows the cause, but very good chance the tire went low and heated up enough to blow.

·
Florida Moderator
4,617 Posts
I had seen that before but it's still interesting to watch again. I would hope that everyone on this board becomes familiar with this subject, given the frequency that we Goldwingers change tires. Whether buying tires for my bike or cage, I always insist dealers get me a new tire either from stock or their distributor. Before tires are mounted I personally look at the date. I generally won't buy a tire more than a year old, just one of my many quirks.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'll betcha more tires blow-out due to low tire pressures than age of the tire!!

I have attended a lot of rallies over the years (with tire check stands). There are always a lot of bikes (usually Gold Wing's) with excessively low tire pressures. I have known some with only 10-12 psi in the tires. Then the riders wonder why the bike has not been handling well..........!

·
Registered
833 Posts
I have to agree. While tire age may be of some concern, maintenance of tires is a much greater concern. Tire pressure, balance, wear and what ever chemical is used to clean them is a much greater concern for sure.

·
Registered
92 Posts
They fail to mention "why" the tire blew on the van except assuming it was from tire age. This is very reason we see tire pressure monitor systems on most if not all new cars as well as our 2009 goldwings. Drive the highway at 75mph on a flat tire it will eventually heat up enough to blow. That's why those semi tire carcasses are all over the side of the road. Either that or all these semis are running old tires which I doubt when they cover 100,000 miles a year. Of course no one knows the cause, but very good chance the tire went low and heated up enough to blow.
Maybe I missed something but the issue was not with the tire blowouts. It is with the tread coming off. Which is what happened with the van. That is a totally different issue and maintenance is not going prevent that from happening. Not saying maintenance is not important but there is still an issue of the rubber losing it's elastisty (spelling?) and then failing.

also interesting is warranty. for firestone the waranty reads

This warranty applies to Bridgestone and Firestone OTR tires for a maximum period of five years (60
months) from date of manufacture. The date of manufacture can be determined by the second and
third digits in the serial number code. For non-serial controlled tires, the date of manufacture can be
determined from the production lot code.
LIMITATIONS:

those tires are out of warranty before they are even put on the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts