GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HEY GUYS

I am looking to mount my ZUMO 660 to my 2007 base GL1800. If anyone has some pics of their mounting points and how and where they connected the wiring that would be awesome!!!!

Thanks so much

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Zumo 660 install

I don't have a pic handy, but I used the standard RAM mount on the clutch screws. Took off the plastic trim on the bottom of the handle bar and tucked the cable in and replaced the trim. Ran the cable over to the left pocket. I added the 12v adapter at the same time and spliced the zumo power onto it. Poked out the grommet in the left pocket split it and ran the Garmin audio cable into the left pocket along with the aux plug.
This way, I can use the gps audio on aux or hook up the iPod. Low tech, but it gets the job done.
Couple notes
1 hooking up power this way switches the zumo on and off with the bike (nice) and saves a run to the battery or fuse block.
2. The zumo has a mic on it's surface. If you pair your phone over Bluetooth, you can select aux (and pull over of course) and use the bike's speakers for hands free calling!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks... but im not looking to install on the handlebars... Im looking for a more central mount either above dash or below dash ...

Thanks so much for your input

·
Registered
689 Posts
My 660 came with a Ram mount that I mounted off the clutch mount and ran the wires under the bottom cover of the handle bar. works great and looks good. No picture to post though. PM me if you really need to see a pic and I can get one posted or Email to you.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
If you're handy, you can mount it above the radio where the Goldwing label is. The label just peals off. It's a job to mount it there. I had my Nuvi 500 on the handle bars but never liked the vibration I got there. I moved it down and the vibration went away. You need to take the top shelter off and take the radio out to be able to mount it there. You can use a Ram ball mount there. It will need to be trimmed a bit to fit in the recess. You also will need to put the bolts through from the bottom with the lock nuts up. The radio is so tight to the top shelter in that area the bolts will rub on it. Check for past posts. Someone had pictures and instructions on this several months back. That's how I got the idea to put it there.

Found it.
Try this thread. I mounted mine like the third entry. I love it. Way less vibration than on the handlebars. http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277239

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I've mounted a number of electronics on my bikes, some extreme and some more practical. Below are some photos of both, the extreme first.

This was a setup I put together for a ride up to Alaska and to checkout some new video recording technology.
1. A weatherproof 3D stereo video camera rig I built.
2. My Zumo 550 on its custom mount.
3. Just my unused Honda Nav
4. Actuator button for the stereo video cameras.
5. A Spot system linked to a Spot account that never worked.
6 & 7. Weatherproof recorders and preview screens for 3D video camera system.
8. Quick mount camera for recording commentary and shots of action along the way.

Number 2, my Zumo, is on a custom mount I built.

I did not like the vibration I experienced with a Ram mount nor did I like the extra height and offset it produced.

This mount was made from aluminum parts and the second brace at the back makes it rock solid and able to hold the weight of my helmet, over my GPS, when I'm parked. Also, since it would required some effort to remove it without the proper tools, it adds to the security. All the wiring runs down the underside of the handlebar and is virtually invisible once away from the mount.

Since this photo was taken I have changed up to a Zumo 665 and installed it in a locking mount that cradles the GPS. I can now leave my Zumo in place, even when the bike is out of sight. I only unlock and remove it at night when parked at a motel.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used QuickDraw's Farkle shelf for the Windbender HP-S windshield.

I suspect that may be a bit further than what your planing for but it is an idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
GPS Mount

I don't have a Zumo but have a Nuvi 550 mounted. I did not like it on the handle bar so I purchase a mount that will stick to the Goldwing label just below the switch and then purchased a holder that fits the GPS. You can purchase them on ebay. This is a real handy place to see the GPS. Here are pictures of the mounts and where I have it mounted.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Are that cell phone and Nuvi mounted on your air bag cover? Is your bike a bagger?

I don't have a Zumo but have a Nuvi 550 mounted. I did not like it on the handle bar so I purchase a mount that will stick to the Goldwing label just below the switch and then purchased a holder that fits the GPS. You can purchase them on ebay. This is a real handy place to see the GPS. Here are pictures of the mounts and where I have it mounted.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I don't have an air bag. I don't think anyone would put anything on the air bag. :wrong:This is the level one 2012 bike
My mistake.. :shrug::lol:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so this is what I came up with.... custom cut a piece of stainless and molded it to match contour of area around ignition switch then bent it to come out .... didnt want holes in original dash ...

Took 400 miles loop to delaware water gap today and hit some bumpy

roAds.... gps didnt move a bit...

VICTORY!!!!

NOW I JUST HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHY MY LEFT TURN FLASHER IS LIT ALL THE TIME!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
280 Posts
Ok so this is what I came up with.... custom cut a piece of stainless and molded it to match contour of area around ignition switch then bent it to come out .... didnt want holes in original dash ...

Took 400 miles loop to delaware water gap today and hit some bumpy

roAds.... gps didnt move a bit...

VICTORY!!!!

NOW I JUST HAVE TO FIGURE OUT WHY MY LEFT TURN FLASHER IS LIT
ALL THE TIME!!!
Looks good. Same position as mind is. I like the location easy to operate and see.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Here's the way I mounted mine.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Sorry, no pics. But I used a RAM mount on the clutch assembly to mount my ZUMO 550, and a RAM mount on the brake/throttle assembly to mount the XM30 antenna for satelite radio.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Zumo 665

I just mounted my 665 with the standard clutch side mount, but it is not as movable as I want and is to close to me. I was looking for a mount that went on the clutch reservoir mount, but can't find one that fits on the Garmin site. Is there someone else that makes a ball mount for the Goldwing clutch reservior cover???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts