GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any organized Wing riders in the Phoenix area?

·
Registered
269 Posts
I haven't noticed many "organized groups" around this board, most of the folks around here are fairly casual. What I have seen done is for folks to propose a ride and the folks that are interested or have the time will chime in.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Are there any organized Wing riders in the Phoenix area?
Hi Belgar,

The Gold Wing Touring Association GWTA Chapter F (F-Troop) can be found on Meetup at
http://www.meetup.com/motorcycle-198/

The monthly meeting is this Saturday at 8 am.
OLD COUNTRY BUFFET
6625 E Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ

Get there about 7:30 to meet the folks in the parking lot and start eating prior to the meeting. I won't be there as I'm doing a BB1500 this weekend.

There is also a GWRR group in Scottsdale but I don't know anything about them.

In addition I ride with the AZ Beemers Club (www.azbeemers.org) as they are not particular about the bike you ride and won't give you crap about not riding a BMW.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Scottsdale GWRRA Motocycle Meetup Group

No planned ride this weekend 9/16-9/18 as we rode to Morenci, up 191 to Alpine and back to Safford through NM last weekend. Sept 24th headed to Kitt Peak for a day ride. Go to the above site for complete calender. A new calander through 2012 will be posted soon. We welcome all riders that want to ride safely and smart.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Last weekend was my SaddleSore, so...if there's any riding to be done, I'll need to keep it close to home.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
we used to have a fairly good core group of riders that got together for Saturday rides fairly frequently. Unfortunately a number have left the state. However, if someone proposes a ride to here or there it usually has a fairly good response and doesn't even require a big lead time. Many of us ride frequently and generally welcome the company.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Hi Belgar,

The Gold Wing Touring Association GWTA Chapter F (F-Troop) can be found on Meetup at
http://www.meetup.com/motorcycle-198/

The monthly meeting is this Saturday at 8 am.
OLD COUNTRY BUFFET
6625 E Southern Ave, Mesa, AZ

Get there about 7:30 to meet the folks in the parking lot and start eating prior to the meeting. I won't be there as I'm doing a BB1500 this weekend.

There is also a GWRR group in Scottsdale but I don't know anything about them.

Az-S Meeting is first Saturday of the month. It is now at the restaurant at Deer Valley Airport at 8:00AM. Check it out here.
http://www.meetup.com/Scottsdale-Gold-Wing-Road-Riders/

In addition I ride with the AZ Beemers Club (www.azbeemers.org) as they are not particular about the bike you ride and won't give you crap about not riding a BMW.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
we used to have a fairly good core group of riders that got together for Saturday rides fairly frequently. Unfortunately a number have left the state.
As I recall, some gave up riding for health reasons, seems like one is deceased..... couple of guys would cruise in from Vegas

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
As I recall, some gave up riding for health reasons, seems like one is deceased..... couple of guys would cruise in from Vegas
...obviously, before my time.

We've had some early winter rides...predominately to rub it in on those back east who have their steeds safely tucked away for the season.

Two years ago, we gathered at Heart Attack Grill... :thumbup: Had to have been a couple dozen of us, including some of the SoCal contingent.

Belgar - one thing to consider - with a bit of warning, a few of us from Baja Arizona might even head north for a RTE (ride-to-eat) opportunity.

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
...obviously, before my time.

We've had some early winter rides...predominately to rub it in on those back east who have their steeds safely tucked away for the season.

Two years ago, we gathered at Heart Attack Grill... :thumbup: Had to have been a couple dozen of us, including some of the SoCal contingent.

Belgar - one thing to consider - with a bit of warning, a few of us from Baja Arizona might even head north for a RTE (ride-to-eat) opportunity.
We even had a celeb out here one time... Jan Kokochak visited and rented a wing to ride with his wife

Shuckaduck Tim would ride down from Vegas for a run around the areas, Tim would bring a friend on another goldwing, I forget his name. Wayne may remember

:doorag:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
<...>Shuckaduck Tim would ride down from Vegas for a run around the areas, Tim would bring a friend on another goldwing, I forget his name. Wayne may remember
Wayne does tell the story well of the annual February Death Valley ride & the impetus for that annual adventure...

We seem to have a group of folks that enjoys getting together, but that there's not a belly-button that takes the initiative to put something together to do just that.

Hey, y'all quit staring at me, okay?! :shock:

I'm a little busy until mid-October, then...who knows...

That Red Rocks Ride we did a couple of years ago was pretty nice this time of year...as I sit here looking at the kick stand puck that Matt graciously provided for us back then. Good times right there. A little close to the Rockies Gold ride for many, but maybe as a consolation ride for us that didn't get a chance to go...even if it was only for one night...

·
Registered
427 Posts
There is also a chapter in Flagstaff. Contact TGinAZ on this board.

·
Registered
42 Posts
We were wondering also. We take day trips almost every weekend pending decent weather. We are in the far east valley. Did payson yesterday via 188 and back the regular way. 223 miles r/t.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
A few of us will be heading to L.A. in a couple of weeks.... :lol:

No, seriously, interested in a group ride? May I suggest picking a location & date in a new thread & see who pops up...

It's almost time to do the Indian Loop. Thought about doing this one on Saturday, mama wasn't quite up to a ride like this: http://g.co/maps/g9h2r

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Ken, my GPS shows some of the road on the way to Santa Rosa to be unpaved. Is that correct?

I need to get there for the AZ Beemer RCC, but I chose not to go there today from the AZ Sonora Desert Museum because of that warning.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Road to Santa Rosa, AZ

It's paved...rough as hell, but paved. Zoom in with Google Maps to confirm.

A lot of those roads were last paved 40 years ago it seems... :shock:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Ruth and I road the Anthony Holly memorial ride on Saturday. Did a little over 300 miles by the time we got home. Had a nice ride over to Wickenburg. Thinking about a day ride this week. Not sure where yet.:cool:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts