GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
IronMan
17,452 Posts
made to flex thats what cables are for plus if bus can hold it your 2 little wheels should do just fine ;)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
The bus was well over the limit. Overload any suspension bridge and it will sag. Over time, that sagging from over weight vehicles will compromise the overall strength of the support structure. But the likelyhood of when it will fail is higher during an overload crossing, but is not limited to such.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Just stayed a week at Holiday Island and on our way back now. They're placing a bunch (all?) of the wood decking, so the bridge is closed Monday through Thursday. I don't recall seeing a load limit, but I'm sure there's a sign somewhere.

BTW, had a great ride back down to Texas on several small roads, including 123 ("Arkansas Dragon").

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
If you want to get really scared take a look under almost any concrete bridge over the local creek or small river. Most of them are flaking away enough that you will clearly see the rerod that it's made with.

Richard

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Weight limit sign for that bridge...

·
Registered
874 Posts
Funny signs. It has the "no trucks" sign and trucks up to 10 tons allowed.

I did a Google search. Looks like GVW is 25 tons at a minimum. When I saw the video I had two questions. Isn't that bus too heavy for that bridge? And, Was the driver following Waze (or your favorite gps software)? Seeing a bus like that on the road to be going that direction on the bridge would have gone down some pretty small roads.

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
I sure don’t know what that bus weighs but I bet it’s less than the stated 35 TONS.
But it’s still definitely overweight for that bridge ! I wonder what the fine is ? Do they ever write tickets ? I have been lucky enough to ride over that bridge a bunch of times.

Bridge Follow Up
The reporter in this video says the bus is 35 tons and the bridge has a 10 ton limit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Many of us have been over this bridge many times but you might reconsider after watching this video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This comment has nothing to do with the bridge. But did anyone else besides me notice the patience the guy in the Jeep had when the jerk behind him kept honking the horn?

·
Registered
20,946 Posts
Google says a fully loaded Greyhound bus weighs 30,000-44,000 pounds

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
3,872 Posts
I'm really surprised that driver took a big bus on that bridge. But I've seen 18 wheel trucks try to make it up the switchbacks on highway 123 above Mt. Judea, even though signs say not to attempt. We just can't know what is in their mine, if anything?????

1 - 12 of 12 Posts