GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a question about routes in Central Arkansas a couple of months ago and got very good responses, thanks. We have mapped out several routes that we will be taking. Now I would like to ask about places (or things) to see around where we will be. I'm looking for the little places to eat and stop at that only the locals and well informed bikers seem to know or care about. We will be basing in Russellville with rides around hwy's 21, 23, 16, 7, and a couple of others between Russellville, Clarksville, Harrison, Jasper, Boxley, etc. We probably won't make it as far north as Eureka Springs or much of anything above Harrison. Some short walk scenics would be good also: waterfalls, overlooks, etc. Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
243 Posts
http://www.terrastudios.com/index.html

If you like artsy-fartsy places look at the above link. You can watch the glass blowers and buy the little Blue Birds of Happiness there. This is an artist retreat compound with some pretty neat stuff to look at. It's a few miles SE of Fayetteville on highway 16 at Durham, AR. You can spend a couple of hours there and get some pretty unique gifts.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Russellville has some really great eating places. If you want to stay away from the chains, these are all good. Stobys, CJ's Burger Boy, and Ole South. Ole South is listed on the national historic register and serves up the best breakfast around. Cliff House Inn up Hwy 7 has good food and great views. Ozark Mountain Cafe in Jasper is a must. As Loren stated check out the Ark forum there is a thread listing several eating places around that area.
I have one ride suggestion, get off Hwy 7 if you can. It is a nice road, but in no way the best in that area. Hwy 7 is the tourist road. Look at Hwy 123 N, 16E or W. Hwy 74 W over to 21 is nice. Hwy 123 S takes you back to I-40 and is a nice ride and takes you past Haw Creek Falls. Nice little waterfall right on the side of the road.
Be careful and have fun!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
If like pottery and old things there is a pottery shop just off 412 (about 300 yds) towards Osage they make pottery and other crafts.

Went in there one time and there was a snake skin wrapped around some things in a corner, asked if they had a problem with snakes, was told they had a black snake that lived in the building and they didn't want ot get rid of it as it controlled rodents.

Alum Cove might be a stop, there's a small natural bridge and walking trail, it's not far off 7.

·
The Boss
1,289 Posts
I posted a question about routes in Central Arkansas a couple of months ago and got very good responses, thanks. We have mapped out several routes that we will be taking. Now I would like to ask about places (or things) to see around where we will be. I'm looking for the little places to eat and stop at that only the locals and well informed bikers seem to know or care about. We will be basing in Russellville with rides around hwy's 21, 23, 16, 7, and a couple of others between Russellville, Clarksville, Harrison, Jasper, Boxley, etc. We probably won't make it as far north as Eureka Springs or much of anything above Harrison. Some short walk scenics would be good also: waterfalls, overlooks, etc. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Did you receive the packet of info I sent? How about information from Russellville COC??? Terra Studios is a very neat place to visit. it's Free! www.terrastudios.com If you'd like I can mail you some of their brochures, if you take the brochure with you - they'll give you a free blue bird of happiness I agree with Bob - 7 is nice, but there are so many more other roads to ride in the area - I do disagree with Bob on one thing. I'm not a picky eater at all - but was not impressed with the food at The Cliff House.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Russellville has some really great eating places. If you want to stay away from the chains, these are all good. Stobys, CJ's Burger Boy, and Ole South. Ole South is listed on the national historic register and serves up the best breakfast around. Cliff House Inn up Hwy 7 has good food and great views. Ozark Mountain Cafe in Jasper is a must. As Loren stated check out the Ark forum there is a thread listing several eating places around that area.
I have one ride suggestion, get off Hwy 7 if you can. It is a nice road, but in no way the best in that area. Hwy 7 is the tourist road. Look at Hwy 123 N, 16E or W. Hwy 74 W over to 21 is nice. Hwy 123 S takes you back to I-40 and is a nice ride and takes you past Haw Creek Falls. Nice little waterfall right on the side of the road.
Be careful and have fun!!

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: +1...Cliff House Inn, Stobys, Ole South

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
cliff house south of jasper is a nice place to sit and have an ice tea, and look over the valley, but dont eat anything

but if your hungry, ride the few miles into jasper and eat at the ozark cafe, in the middle of town

they have a sunday chicken and other things brunch at about 1030, that is as good as it gets

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
+1000 for the Ozark Cafe!!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Did you receive the packet of info I sent? How about information from Russellville COC??? Terra Studios is a very neat place to visit. it's Free! www.terrastudios.com If you'd like I can mail you some of their brochures, if you take the brochure with you - they'll give you a free blue bird of happiness I agree with Bob - 7 is nice, but there are so many more other roads to ride in the area - I do disagree with Bob on one thing. I'm not a picky eater at all - but was not impressed with the food at The Cliff House.
Come on Laura, I don't think they have killed anyone yet at the Cliff House! :eek:
Actually the view is why you go to the Cliff House. Take Loren's advice and take a break with a cold drink then go eat at Ozark Mountain Cafe in Jasper.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Ozark Cafe was excellent but I also like the Cliff House. If I had to pick it would be the Ozark Cafe. There is also a hamburger joint (store) in a little town named Oark I think. They have a pet pig named Elly May. They make a kick a$$ burger.
yes, orak in on ar215, about 5 miles west of ar21

its a nice ride from ozark, over the hills on 103, and then east on 215 to orak

·
The Boss
1,289 Posts
Ozark Cafe was excellent but I also like the Cliff House. If I had to pick it would be the Ozark Cafe. There is also a hamburger joint (store) in a little town named Oark I think. They have a pet pig named Elly May. They make a kick a$$ burger.
What a coincidence you mention that, one of the first women riders I met when we moved here was giving me a hard time the other day, when I mentioned "Ozark" she thought I meant "Oark" hahaha... burgers vs BBQ. We're going to make a girls day ride-out very soon to Oark for the burgers, one of her favorite places.

I'll have to ask her about the pig... hahahah

+3 on the Ozark Cafe.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So many places, so little time. For several of us it will be our first bike trip to this great state, looks like it definitely won't be the last. Thanks for all the tips. The post in the Arkansas sub-board was just what I was looking for.

Laura, I did receive the packet and it has already made the rounds. Thanks so much, it has been a big help.

We will travel Hwy. 7 a couple of times on the trip but will be traveling more on the other roads mentioned. Can't wait to get there, everyone is getting antsy. We are up to 10 bikes now and about 14 or 15 people. If you see a whole bunch of Harley's being shown up by a lone red Goldwing that will be us, April 28th to May 3rd.

Thanks for all the replies.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
If you make it to Boxley, stop in Boxley Valley. There is a pull off on Highway 43 just before you get into Ponca where you may see the elk that run in in the valley. If they are there when you pass through it is definitely something to see when the herds are out in the open, and they quite frequently are. Lots of cows and some really big bulls! Not to mention the gorgeous landscape on the Buffalo River. Enjoy your trip in Arkansas and ride safe.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If you are going to ride Hwy. 21, stop as you make a right curve into Ozone, AR, at the Burger Hut. This is one of those places that you probably wouldn't try without a recommendation, but the food is consistently good.
If in Calico Rock, stop at Don Quixote's for lunch (11 am - 3 pm), then go across the street for ice cream. That's a hard to beat combination, and you're right down the highway from Push Mountain Rd.

·
Registered
266 Posts
If you make it into Huntsville AR there is a place called Garnnys Kitchen on Hwy 23 thats has a good homestyle Menu.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts