GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently wear Tourmaster armored gear, as does my wife. While I still would be ATGATT on a trike, I think the requirements may change.

A couple of questions for those of you who ride long-distance on a trike. :nerd:
1. Is armored gear (jacket and pants (still a necessity)?
2. What is more preferable - one-piece or two-piece suit?

There are a lot of options available now, so I have considered either Aerostitch (too hot in the desert?) or Motoport (too cold in the high mountains?).

I plan on riding in various conditions, likely into the upper 30s in high elevations and likely 100+ in the desert SW.

Since I can only afford one expensive riding apparel for the spouse and myself, are there any comments? I know Aerostitch will be a predominate offering and please provide options in excess of what was referenced above.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to add, I hoped for something all-weather, so I would not have to change clothes or carry a separate rain suit.

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
I currently wear Tourmaster armored gear, as does my wife. While I still would be ATGATT on a trike, I think the requirements may change.

A couple of questions for those of you who ride long-distance on a trike. :nerd:
1. Is armored gear (jacket and pants (still a necessity)?
2. What is more preferable - one-piece or two-piece suit?

There are a lot of options available now, so I have considered either Aerostitch (too hot in the desert?) or Motoport (too cold in the high mountains?).

I plan on riding in various conditions, likely into the upper 30s in high elevations and likely 100+ in the desert SW.

Since I can only afford one expensive riding apparel for the spouse and myself, are there any comments? I know Aerostitch will be a predominate offering and please provide options in excess of what was referenced above.
I am NOT a LD trike rider so take what I say with a pound of salt. I'm not really sure what would change riding a trike except you a probably less likely to be in a low side crash. However that is far from the only accident you can have on either 2 or 3 wheels. If I were to go to a trike, I would wear the same gear that I wear now on 2 wheels.

Now as to hot / cold / 1 piece / 2 piece suit there is no perfect combination and every choice is a compromise. However, if you want to go from freezing drizzle to 105 degrees in the desert without changing any of your gear, I think you are just kidding yourself. My suggestion is to keep doing whatever it is you are doing on 2 wheels that works for you.

·
Registered
851 Posts
This is an interesting topic to me because I ride both a trike and a conventional two wheel Triumph Thunderbird. While on the Triumph I always wear all the gear. On the trike however, not so much. Always wear a helmet but the other gear is optional. It works for me. We are all different and I certainly respect however you dress.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I still ride mostly with protective gear on my trike. I always wear insulated hiking boots and jeans and always my helmet. And I know jeans are no where near as effective as riding pants but it is still better than wearing shorts. I will never wear shorts or flip flops. Most of the time I also wear my Tourmaster mesh jacket which is pretty versatile. It has the removeable thermal liner for the cooler weather. When it's really cold, I will add my Gerbing heated jacket liner. I will wear my jacket most of the time in hot sunny weather as my arms burn fairly easily. Even with the jacket being mesh, it does get a bit warm in really hot weather and I will get a bit sweaty while standing still, but once you get moving, the airflow along with the air moving over the sweaty skin actually helps to cool me down. This pretty much covers me effectively for all the seasons I ride in. I do cheat sometimes and leave it off but because I am so used to wearing it, I dont feel right not wearing it. I may not always wear gloves as much as I should. The reality is that even though you have a more stable base than the 2 wheeled counterpart, there is still the chance of coming off in an accident and getting just as hurt. A little precaution goes a long way.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Does your trike have steel doors, seat belts, a roof, multiple airbags, head rest restraints, and a complete steel cage around you and your passenger like your car does ? Then I guess you wouldn't need protective gear. If, however you are totally exposed on your trike as you would be on a two wheeler, then you might wear the same gear you'd wear on a bike. That said, everyone around here ... east central Indiana ... rides with a bare head, maybe some sun glasses, a tee shirt, jeans or shorts, and tennis shoes or sandals in warm weather. Helmets, leather gloves, armored jackets, and boots are rare. I don't get it ...

·
IronMan
17,618 Posts
LONG AS YOUR "SURE" NOT GONNA CRASH ALL YA NEED IS SOME SUNSCREEN ! :serious::grin2:

·
Registered
47 Posts
everyone around here ... east central Indiana ... rides with a bare head, maybe some sun glasses, a tee shirt, jeans or shorts, and tennis shoes or sandals in warm weather. Helmets, leather gloves, armored jackets, and boots are rare. I don't get it ...
Those are just the local HD riders, pay them no mind.:smile2:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts