GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I installed Kuryakin Passenger Arm Rests on my former Wing. My wife really liked them, for they gave her a sense of security and comfort. It seems that now that I have a newer bike she wants to ride again, so I need to get her some armrests. I don’t want the Kuryakin arm rests again because of peeling chrome issues on the two sets I bought. Who makes a higher quality arm rest?

While I have you on the line I want to ask how people are mounting drink holders, such as Butler Cups on the airbag model Goldwings. On the old 2006 I had a big Butler Mug mounted on the handlebars. That’s not an option on the airbag models. I am looking hard at trying to mount a drink cup on the back of the fairing in front of my knees. I’m a little short dude, and it appears that there is plenty of room for a drink cup without interfering with my knees.

My concern is how to mount something there without permanently damaging the plastic. If I were to use industrial Velcro, would the Velcro leave an ugly mark if I were to change my mind down the road?

This is still a new-to-me bike and I’d rather not ******* my new Goldwing! I will appreciate your advice.

0N EDIT- Disregard my question about how to mount a drink holder. The airbag complicates matters because one can't mount anything that might get in the way when the airbag deploys. However, this bike has a Windbender shield, and I just mounted my farkle shelf on the Windbender. I believe this will provide plenty of mounting options for a drink holder. Thanks, anyway!

Thanks,
Glen

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Airbag model drink cup

I have an airbag model, and I don't mount my drink cup on my bars, but I do have a phone and a GPS on the bars. I do not think that a drink cup would hit the rider if the airbag went off, but I still did not mount it up front. I have mounted a 20 oz tumbler on the left hand passenger grab rail. I found a scheme that mostly works for me and I'll stick to it for now.

I don't know any way that you will be able to mount a cup holder on the plastic without marring the plastic significantly. OTOH, lots of people know more about mounting options than I do.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I have the Hondaline armrests. Not as big as others but look nice IMHO. I also like the looks of the RIVCO.

I don't have the airbag unfortunately. Couldn't find one when I was shopping.

The Butler mount may be in the way of the airbag but a call to Butler may clear this up. They have a couple new mounts including the Python that may well work. I have a Butler cup mounted to RAM ball mount on the Helibars. This setup positions the cup forward of the bars and master cylinder. Easy to do w/o the Helibars. The thumbscrew on the butler holder can be replaced with a RAM ball, then replace the master cylinder mounting bolts with the RAM handlebar mount and add a standard length arm. Does not interfere with glovebox door. Some pix on their site show RAM installs but most all of them locate back towards the rider not forward like I did. https://www.glassact.com/

I tried the actual RAM brand cupholders in numerous positions and never really was happy with it. The gimbal would swing and bang things. The standard cup holder is top heavy with anything but a soda can. This can be helped by adding a counter weight to the bottom but making it heavier causes the holder to creep down while bouncing down the road. RAM has a deluxe cup holder that is better but really too tall in this location.

Reactions: Glockjock

·
Registered
773 Posts
Went down to garage and tried some pix. May or may not be clear or helpful but here goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Went down to garage and tried some pix. May or may not be clear or helpful but here goes.
I'm trying to see on your photos how did you mount Ram ball(s) on Helibars... Any chance you can take another photo, any time at your convenience? Is there a specific Ram mount just for Helibars? Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
773 Posts
A couple more pix below and a description. I can also e-mail pix , just not sure how much they will show.

There is a vertical tube to which there is a clamp installed. This is the adjustment to modify the "wheelbarrow" angle or how much the grips are from centerline of the bike. On top of these tubes there is a disk with increment marks, the only adjustment that has indexing. This disk is held on by a M6 socket head cap screw. Helibar sells a GPS mount that removes this cap screw and bolts down in place on top. I tried this mount but the holes are wrong for the GARMIN 395. Fine for some other models though.

I had the RAM mounts on the master cylinder clamps before the Helibars. I put those back on but with the plastic spacers I just didn't think they were tight enough. I could twist the levers by hand. I thought about clamping to the cross bar but then had another thought. I used the RAM balls that have a thru hole. They come with various length bolts; I even had two already in my parts drawer. They also sell RAM balls with offset mounting bolt holes. I bought one of each style. All of these mounting holes were bigger than the bolts so I made some bushings from plastic tubing. Bushings see no load, only keep mount centered while tightening the bolts. I did need to go the hardware store and buy two bolts the right length to replace the bolt that holds down the indexing disk.

Helibar install instructions attached. The full bars guide photo 67 shows the disk with the index marks. But the GPS guide is really dong the same thing I did. I just used RAM balls instead of the Helibar GPS base.

here's a shopping list:
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-367U
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-272U
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-252U

Attachments

·
Registered
529 Posts
Thought these might help.

Not an Airbag model but I do have the Helibars, Butler, Garmin 665, and Ulanzi Phone Holder(can use w/GPS too)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts