GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2008 I currently have the Kuryakyn armrest which are OK I guess, only I get tired of having to push them aside and back everytime I get into the trunk.
Now the Rivco, seems like they would be better.
Guess I would either leave the chrome mounting brackets on the side of the trunk or order new housings to replace the drilled pieces.
Kinda expensive but are the Rivco's worth it? Anybody had experience with both?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It's all personal preference, but having the Kury armrests installed was the biggest mistake I've made so far with the Wing. I removed them. My wife prefers to rest her arms on the speakers, or not at all. The armrests were just a nuisance, and did not look good at all, IMHO. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
As a general observation, I have found that the Rivco stuff is far superior to Kury, both in materials and quality of chrome.

I have no experience with any armrests, since I offered them to Goldilocks, and she didn't want them. But, I have had to work on bikes with the Kury rests, and they were a pain in the p-toootie. You can't open the trunk unless you swing the armrests out. You have to drill holes in your pockets to mount them, and if you don't have a CB antenna, I think you have to drill that side of your trunk.

Kury chrome has a reputation for not being of the best quality, and they seem to use potmetal for a lot of things.

But, since you have a set, you probably already knew that.

Rivco products are usually a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for, I think. Everything I have seen form Rivco has been well constructed from quality (usually aluminum, but thick pieces, or steel) materials, and the chrome has been durable.
And the design on their armrests seems pretty smart.

JMHO
=Dave=
GWBBA #9
rocketmoto.com

·
Registered
396 Posts
Kury

I put Kuryakyn armrest on my bike before a 8,000 mile trip back in 2007. My wife wasn't sure about them at first, but now she loves them. It's not because she really used the armrest very much, but we live the cupholder and the "snack pouch" that I've attached to the left armrest.

Swinging them out is a little bit of a pain, but it has become second nature for us and wouldn't be without them. I haven't seen the cupholder or snack pouch option on another set of armrests.

I think it's been over four years and 40,000-50,000 miles. No chrome peeling, maybe some slight discoloration on small parts of them, but if the get too bad or break, I'll replace them with the same.

+1 for Kuryakyn armrests.

·
Registered
8,302 Posts
I like looks of the Kury armrests and use them mainly for holding luggage in place on the back seat (rarely have a co-rider) but I wouldn't put them on again. I've replace both sides - brackets break by the speaker housing. If I had it to do again I wouldn't have them. But I have the holes and I have a couple used spares in the garage now so I'll have them for a while. Moving them to open the trunk... I don't know - it's just a conditioned response now I guess. Doesn't bother me - I don't think about it.

The Rivco armrests look really nice. I don't think they mount any more secure than the Kurys though (I think they just mount to the trunk plastic behind the backrest?). And I don't know how it will wear on the seat material over time. I think I'd go that route instead though if I were to do it again. At least if you remove them the holes won't show. The chrome and pads look nice and I think they hold up.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I put Kuryakyn armrest on my bike before a 8,000 mile trip back in 2007. My wife wasn't sure about them at first, but now she loves them. It's not because she really used the armrest very much, but we live the cupholder and the "snack pouch" that I've attached to the left armrest.

Swinging them out is a little bit of a pain, but it has become second nature for us and wouldn't be without them. I haven't seen the cupholder or snack pouch option on another set of armrests.

I think it's been over four years and 40,000-50,000 miles. No chrome peeling, maybe some slight discoloration on small parts of them, but if the get too bad or break, I'll replace them with the same.

+1 for Kuryakyn armrests.
+1 :popcorn::popcorn::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Had the Markland armrests on my 02. These are similar in design to the Kurys. Wife liked them fine but I hated moving them out of the way when opening the trunk. When I got my '08 I opted for the Hondalines that mount to the top of the speakers. Much better function, and the comfort level was as good as the Marklands. A bit more involved to install but in my opinion look a lot better than the "handicap equipment". Look for a deal on ebay, I bought mine for $100 new from an online Honda Powersports dealer.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Had the Kury's...what a PITA they were...SO left and so went the Kury's...left the mounting brackets and inverted the chrome cone piece and bolted it in place...mounted the Butler Cup holder under the right side one...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
You may wish to consider the Big Bike armrests. I have them on my bike for the Queen.

No drilling - they mount with the bolts that hold the seat handles on. Swing out easy. You can open the trunk with the armrests in closed position.

Very nice and the wife loves them. 15 minute install with no tools save an Allen key. Strong enough to easily hold a large Butler cup, which the wifey also loves.

Available from our Board Sponsor. http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=1919&str=4

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
We really like our Rivco armrests and would buy em again...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did a lot of research into this before I went with the Rivco's.

I actually bought some Kury's.

The Rivco's are much more solid and tough. Once mounted they are sturdier also.

With the Kury's you have to swing them left/right out of the way to open the trunk. With the Rivco's you have to swing them up.

The Rivco's require seat back removal and some drilling. So a little bit tougher than the Kury's.

The Rivco's are thicker and more comfortable according to me and my wife.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, sounds like I may have some spare Kuryakyn armrest laying around soon and chrome brackets with inverted bolts. AFTER I order the Rivco armrest and get them in my hands from what I hear. May need to do the Honda arm rest too!

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
For some reason I DON'T have to raise them to open my trunk.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have had the Rivo fold up armrests for a few months now and have ridden about 4,000 miles with them. Although I was afraid they might not hold up to the abuse my wife gives them they are still there and I notice no damage whatsoever. I would buy them again, largely because I really like the looks of them folded up when the Mrs isnt ridding with me. I do not have to raise them to open the trunk, they automatically fold up as you open the trunk. I would buy them again. I had the shorty Honda ones over the speakers but my wife wanted a longer pair for our travel out west. If anyone needs my Honda shorty ones, I have them (like new) without the brackets (I did not want to disassemble the bike to get the support brackets). I dont know if you can order just the brackets for them but I doubt it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
What I fear of the Rivco is in the case of going over, it's harder for the back seat rider to step off. We were loaded for a ten day tour and over we went. She just stepped off the bike pushing the Kury's to the side. I think it would have been harder to lift the Rivco's in the same time. That's right, I dropped our wing. I've dropped every bike I've owned at least once. I'm human.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
What I fear of the Rivco is in the case of going over, it's harder for the back seat rider to step off. We were loaded for a ten day tour and over we went. She just stepped off the bike pushing the Kury's to the side. I think it would have been harder to lift the Rivco's in the same time. That's right, I dropped our wing. I've dropped every bike I've owned at least once. I'm human.

I havnt dropped the wing since I installed these (oh great..now Ill drop it for sure) but I cant imagine that the one needing to get out of the way would not just raise up...even if its bent, I believe it would fold up enough to step out. I teach my wife that if I drop the wing to keep all hands and feet inside the ride and grab the passenger handles to keep from breaking an ankle or leg. The thing that concerns me is whether or not the speaker housing will be busted should her weight be thrown against it sideways. That could be an expensive repair.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts