GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our first Goldwing was a 1980 GL1100; it came with the long-ish armrests that my wife loved. We've got the Big Bike ones for our 2003 1800, but she still wants the old ones. Says these aren't long enough for comfort on long rides. For reasons unknown to me, you can't find pads that are long like on the 1500's and earlier. My thoughts are to buy pads like she wants and figure a way to mount them on the swing arms.

I can't be the first guy to have wondered about doing this; anyone out there with experience and can share lessons-learned?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Mike, if you can't find/purchase the armrest pads you want, maybe it would not be too terribly difficult to custom make some on your own. Looking at the pads on the armrests on our bike, the base of the pad is just a piece of plywood, covered with padding and vinyl. Simple materials to find, and the vinyl would just be wrapped over the foam and stapled to attach on the underside of the board. Re-use the existing metal "arms" and you have whatever your queen desires.

Good luck

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike, if you can't find/purchase the armrest pads you want, maybe it would not be too terribly difficult to custom make some on your own. Looking at the pads on the armrests on our bike, the base of the pad is just a piece of plywood, covered with padding and vinyl. Simple materials to find, and the vinyl would just be wrapped over the foam and stapled to attach on the underside of the board. Re-use the existing metal "arms" and you have whatever your queen desires.

Good luck
This is why I like this forum so much - out-of-the-box ideas. Thanks!

·
IronMan
17,462 Posts
i made by own sissy bar backrest about 3 times size of stock yrs ago. stock was like 6 /8 inches . took to upolstery shop after made board . looked like made for bike and held up duffle bag great ( was my backrest ) when done .:thumbup:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts