GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you want to ride with me to Deal's Gap on Friday by way of the Cherahala, meet me at Ryan's with a full tank at 7:30 a.m.. We'll leave after a belly full. Eat lunch with Yellow Wolf at the Gap. Run back and eat again with Trialsman.

On Saturday, The DDKing Pig Trail Scenic Tour & Waterfall Stroll begins at the same time --- 7:30 a.m. to eat, leave Ryan's right after.

Please respond and let me know if you intend to come along (so I have a head count). Paul, Steve, and Steven will post their rides shortly.

Here's the Pig Trail for those of you brave enough to try it alone:

The DDKing Pig Trail Scenic Tour and Waterfall Stroll
1- Begin with a full tank of fuel and well-fed belly at the Ryan’s at Exit 20 on I-575.
2- Exit lot by making a right turn onto 5 and travel 13.8 miles north.
3- Make right onto 53 in Tate, GA.
4- Go 8.8 miles and make left on Steve Tate Road. Follow to end, 9.5 miles.
5- Make right on 136 and go 1.6 miles to stop.
6- Make left on 183 and go 1.2 miles to gnarly intersection.
7- Bear left on 52 and go 10.5 miles.
8- Make right on Rackley Road; go 2.9 miles to end.
9- Make right on Southern. Southern becomes Roy. Go 5.9 miles to stop.
10- Make right on Doublehead Gap Road. Go 4.3 miles and make left on Newport Road. Don’t miss this one unless you like gravel…
11- Go 5 miles to end.
12- Right on Dial Road; 2.6 miles to end.
13- Right on 60 at top of nasty little hill.
14- Go 16.7 miles to intersection of 180, Wolfpen Gap Road. Left turn into Dale’s Filling Station and get gas. Big bike hang-out. Swap a few stories and stretch butt.
15- Exit Dales onto Wolfpen Gap Road (very twisty and challenging). Go 11.6 miles to Stop.
16- Left on 129; 2.3 miles.
17- Right on 180; .9 mile.
18- Right on 348; 12.8 miles to Duke’s Creek Falls parking area. Trail to waterfall; primitive restroom available. Bring water.
19- Exit lot; resume 348 to right; 1.7 miles to stop.
20- Right on Alt-75; 6 miles to stop.
21- Right on 129 north; 7.3 miles to Turner’s Corner Café (gravel parking lot) on left side. Eat.
22- Hard left out of TCC on 19, not 129 north (go over bridge); 5.5 miles to really sick intersection with a big pile of stones in the middle.
23- Go straight through the intersection (carefully) and down the whoop-ass hill (carefully) on R Ranch Road; 1.9 miles to stop.
24- Right on Black Mountain Road; 8.2 miles to stop.
25- Right onto (don’t know the name) Road; 4.6 miles.
26- Left on Miles Berry Road; very easy to miss. Small/narrow/steep downhill. Looks like the batcave entrance. Go 1.3 miles and be careful.
27- Left turn just before the cement bridge on Hightower Church Road; 3.1 miles to stop.
28- Right on Jay Bridge; down the hill and bear right at weird fork. Go over cement bridge and make the obvious left turn (or be in the mud & woods). Marvel at how beautiful and quiet it is here. Is that the theme song from Deliverance you hear in the distance? 3.1 miles total.
29- Left at stop on 52; 3.6 miles.
30- Right on 9 south; 8.6 miles.
31- Right on 136 west; at 10 miles the road merges with 180; stay on 136. At 11.7 miles it unmerges and you have to turn left to stay on 136. Do that. At 13.4 miles turn left on Steve Tate.
32- 9.5 miles on Steve Tate to end.
33- Right on 53 .3 miles.
34- Left on Yellow Creek; 10 miles to end.
35- Right on 369; 3.9 miles to end.
36- Right on 20; 8.8 miles to I-575.
37- Go north a mile to the hotel area or south 8 miles to Traxxion.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Wife and I are coming over Sat. morning. Will try to make one of these rides!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Add Steve & Lynn Scott to your list to tag along on your Saturday ride, That will be two bikes.
Look forward to meeting everyone.

Steve Scott

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Bump

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Paul,
I think I'll stop at Traxxion and leave copies of my route.
You could post a sheet there with start times for various activities, etc.

Just Steve and Lynn so far? Won't have any logistics problems with fuel and bathroom use then...

Did you notice the leaves are changing?

This is along the route; Lake Winfield Scott at Wolfpen Gap:

·
Registered
228 Posts
John Garner said:
OK, where is Ryans? I'm in for Saturday.
Per Arn Butt Bill, I believe it's at exit 20 on I-575.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
John Garner said:
OK, where is Ryans? I'm in for Saturday.
Click on my Wingstock Map thingie on my sig line.
You don't have to eat at Ryan's if you don't want, of course. It's just an easy place for bikes to assemble and eat. A breakfast buffet for 7 or 8 bucks with an omolette station and such. Good food, fast, no messing over the check, variety. And we have a room reserved for GL1800 on Saturday from 0730 to 1000 for anybody who wants to wander in there.

Dan,
Do you like the name I gave to the ride?

Dan found the pig trails, you'all know...

·
Registered
369 Posts
bill is your ride leaving after 10 ? i hope so. so i wont have to get up so early :twisted:

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mitymax1 said:
bill is your ride leaving after 10 ? i hope so. so i wont have to get up so early :twisted:
We'll be at Dale's in Suches at about 10:00....
I can't sleep well when there's twisties to be ridden.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Arn Butt........you guys have any secret plans to have all three or four groups meet up somehwere along the way and maybe ride back together? That might be kinda cool. We could all be like.....bikers!! 8)

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Steve S,
No such plans. Although it does sound kinda neat, I'm afraid it may be too many bikes for safety and perhaps too varied of riding styles to mesh well.

See you tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
trialsman said:
Steve S,
No such plans. Although it does sound kinda neat, I'm afraid it may be too many bikes for safety and perhaps too varied of riding styles to mesh well.

See you tomorrow.
Yeah....I was thinking the same thing......and figured you were also!!
It would be neat and one could hope that with such a group we would all ride responsibly each to the same pleasant and "kinda neat" end.

Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
steve s said:
trialsman said:
Steve S,

See you tomorrow.
Yeah....I was thinking the same thing......and figured you were also!!
It would be neat and one could hope that with such a group we would all ride responsibly each to the same pleasant and "kinda neat" end.

Looking forward to it.
I'm sure that the line-up of bikes in the cul-de-sac in front of Traxxion on Saturday evening will be a nice photo op.
I hope SherrelD has his camera; he's a real sharp shutterbug.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
We'll have a pretty good looking group of Wings going to dinner tomorrow night. Probably 25 or so. One reason for the shorter distance.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I be there early Sat morning

and for Sat. dinner if it's not too late.
Just me on a silver 05.
Mike

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What a heckuvva great day it was. Blue skies; temps from 43 to 70. No law enforcement issues, no dropped bikes (Yellow Wolf came close...).

Here's us at Deal's Gap:

Yellow Wolf filmed Mother Ship and I chased them both. What a hoot.

And then for the Friday night dinner:

But the question on everyone's lips is, "Where's Toyo and Rixx???"

Tomorrow should be perfect weather also.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts