GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is a good article in Wing World this month by Stu Ottman on the rear spring preload. He gives a quick procedure to determine when the spring is actually starting to be compressed. A reading of 3 or below on the scale is good, but he says if it is 5 or below it should be good to go. I checked mine and it is way out of tolerance. '01, 38K. I am betting that there are more on the road OOT, than within tolerance, especially if they are 3-4 years old.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Put bike on center stand, turn key to accessory position, run the preload adjust all the way down to zero. Now, run it up and listen carefully to the motor that controls the height. You will hear a definite tone change when the motor meets resistance. Release the up button immediately when you hear the motor tone change. Look at your LCD display. This is your load down number. If it is over 5, then you are OOT accordingly to the article. I would like to see a poll on this just for curiousity. Fred Harmon's DVD's has the procedure on servicing the system. It is pretty extensive maintenance.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Someone needed Stu to tell them that?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Tested my '02 with 38k today. Was ok; got to "5" when motor met resistance.

Greyhound

·
Firm Member
3,159 Posts
You must be a member of GWRRA to view the article on line. I think there may be some copyright thing if I posted it here. As usual I could be wrong.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
nedro said:
Someone needed Stu to tell them that?
Well, not everyone knows it all. The article had other good information too.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
It's actually the August issue. The October issue came out last week so this article came out a couple months ago.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
William Anzik said:
It's actually the August issue. The October issue came out last week so this article came out a couple months ago.
Actually William, you are incorrect. In August there was a short article about adjusting your suspension. The article being referred to above is in the October issue (where they explain in depth specifically how the shocks work and how to test). Next month they will be reviewing the Progressive shocks.

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
thanx for the article, now I got to run out and check my bike :x

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
BAT1800 said:
William Anzik said:
Actually William, you are incorrect. In August there was a short article about adjusting your suspension. The article being referred to above is in the October issue (where they explain in depth specifically how the shocks work and how to test). Next month they will be reviewing the Progressive shocks.
I stand corrected.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I just checked mine and it is a 7. I guess I'm OOT. Now I guess I'll have to wait for the article to see what to do about it. Is this a warranty issue? 2004(57,000 miles)

·
Registered
750 Posts
I checked my 02 a month or so ago and the motor started to load at level 11. I spoke to my dealer(whom I use to have alot of respect for) about it and he stated "well thats about right." I use to run my rear on 5-6(I'm 160lbs) now I run it on 20. Rides much, much better. Not sure what I'm gonna do about the preload though!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
papa benny said:
I checked my 02 a month or so ago and the motor started to load at level 11. I spoke to my dealer(whom I use to have alot of respect for) about it and he stated "well thats about right."
:crew:

1 - 20 of 83 Posts