GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Toplessartist here.
Just picked up my first Goldwing! It's a beautiful '03 with 54k, cupped rear tire, and a tiny scuff on the mirror housing.

I have been riding since 1975, when dad bought me my first bike (Honda XR75) and thru the years I have owned or ridden just about everything that has caught my eye, except for a couple of the Ducatis... seems you have to be either royalty or have a handful of exact change for them to let you test ride one. Here, my dear new friends, is the sad part of my story: A couple years ago I bounded youthfully out to my mailbox and found... sigh... a "Welcome Package from AARP! I was floored, bewildered! I read the label repeatedly to see if it had been delivered to the wrong house. I have old neighbors, it must be for them! I'm still 21 (at heart), no more than 30 tops when it comes to looks, and a sagely 45 when it comes to wisdom. Yet here it was, proof that I had reached the age of compression socks with sandals and some hard-to-pronounce daily pill that may or may not have a long list of side effects! Had they heard me complain about my knees after a four hour ride on my FJR1300? Could they smell the IcyHot on my lower back? Was it really time to get a Goldwing?

OK. Before you get mad at that comment, think back to the very day before YOU rode your first Wing. You said the same thing... (nasal tone) "I don't want an old guys' bike!" My friends, I am here to tell you that after one test drive I fell in love with this monster of a machine! Holy jumpin'monkeys is that a sweet way to go fast. I love my FJR, most beautiful bike ever made, IMHO, but if I intend to ride off into the sunset I want my legs in a comfortable position! I was so surprised and, frankly, embarrassed after my first time in the horse-sized saddle. I owe those "old men" an apology, and would clearly love to sidle up to some sport bike jockey and give him that smile I used to get.. the one that says "Hey sonny, I know something you don't know" then glide away effortlessly. I'm 57 now, but don't tell my wife.

·
Administrator
3,587 Posts
Welcome aboard Kiddo, from Southeast Texas.

Glen

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Welcome aboard, pics or it didn't happen.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Welcome! I was 43 when I got my first GL1800......2005 model
After 175000 smiles I am on my third one....lol they are addicting...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Welcome from beautiful Kentucky; fast women, beautiful horses and good whiskey. LOL

·
Registered
5,623 Posts
I'm 70 yrs old October 4th (on my second goldwing) NOW TRIKED OUT.............Nothing is better too ride................

Ronnie

Reactions: JoeHall

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
62 and going strong.....keeps me feeling young....when I loose the "Like a kid in a toy store" from riding I may hang the hat up....but this GW keeps the blood flowing! Miles n Smiles!

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
I bought my Goldwing when I was 25 (1978) and still have that young man's bike and while most of my friends have gotten old, me and that 78 have not. For its 40th birthday I invested in a GL companion 2018 so now 2 young persons bikes.

G.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just remember to keep the secret the wing is an old man's bike that lets us old men afford newer wings. Remember the oath "silly kid wings are only for old men".😁👍

1 - 13 of 13 Posts