Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
660 Posts
I received my update, but then received an e-mail from Garmin on 7/20:

Dear Garmin Customer:

Our records indicate that you have purchased a map update card for the Honda Gold Wing Navi.

Garmin has recently identified an issue on select map update cards. This affects certain navigation functionality on map updates for model years 2006–2008.

Garmin is committed to quality and customer satisfaction, and we are proactively working to resolve this issue in a timely manner. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

A Garmin representative will contact you as soon as possible - likely within the next 4 weeks - with more detailed information regarding the resolution of this issue.

Regards,

Garmin

·
Registered
176 Posts
I called Garmin today checking on my order. Was told that they expect to ship by mid to late august. Guess we'll see what they say when that time comes and still no shipments :shrug:

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
Probably because more people are using smartphones now with GPS installed. I see them all the time mounted on the dash of cages. Over on the Android Forum the talk is how stand alone GPS units are useless now. But I will keep my Garmin for now.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I called Garmin today checking on my order. Was told that they expect to ship by mid to late august. Guess we'll see what they say when that time comes and still no shipments :shrug:
Seems like they can't remember the same story from call to call. I'm about ready to just cancel. Shoot, by the time we get it, the thing will be out-dated. What are they engineering, a mars mission software package?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Seems like they can't remember the same story from call to call. I'm about ready to just cancel. Shoot, by the time we get it, the thing will be out-dated. What are they engineering, a mars mission software package?
Not to worry.
By the time they put it on the market, it is outdated........
Maps from 2010, version 2011.10. This if over a year old from when it first went on sale.
2012.10 is out for their other units (May 2011).

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I don't think Garmin is going to be alone in seeing big drops in revenue this year. Economy does not appear to be getting any better, so a "new" GPS toy is going to be down the purchase list for a lot of people.

As for smartphones taking over for standalone GPS, I think there will still be a use for dedicated GPS. What do you do if your smartphone is out of coverage? The smartphone has the advantage in that its database will be more up-to-date than the GPS units. That's why hardly anyone publishes printed internet guides anymore. By the time you get it into print, a good number of listings are out of date.

I will order my GW GPS update. Even with its limitations, it is handy to have it in the bike in front of you while riding.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm of the persuasion that once we have the NT capability firmware, we can just do our own "current" upgrades. If they ever get it fixed. :roll:

·
Registered
583 Posts
I ordered mine in June and I can't believe I'm being this patient waiting for it. That said I'm not cancelling. Even if it is outdated by the time I get it, it has to be better than the 04 maps that came on my 07 Wing. 3 years old before the bike was even ridden, so I think I can live with 1 year old maps. Just sayin.

GM

·
Registered
911 Posts
I just called today, Aug 9...was told they expect to start receiving cards next week sometime and plan to start shipping then...don't hold your breath...ride safe....

Scott

·
Registered
61 Posts
Honda HOLD?

I just called Garmin and was told that HONDA has not approved Garmin to release the cards for shipment. Another slick excuse??

·
Registered
648 Posts
Like I said at #7. Tired of the run-around. :evil: I don't think any of their phone reps. have a clue of what's really going on.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts