GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok....

I just received a phone call from somebody who has much more pull than I do and they want me to get "the tranny failure list" back on.

That being said, I am requesting E-MAILS ONLY...

I want the following information from those of you who have either had your tranny fail to the point of being repaired, or are experiencing the "ghost shift".

PLEASE put either "Fully Failed Tranny" or "Ghost Shifting" in the subject line of your e-mail to me!

Here's the info I need... (please in this order so I can get this done asap)

Name (First & Last)
Your Phone number (including AREA CODE)
Year & model of wing (please list if trike)
Miles on wing now
Miles on wing when problem STARTED (best guesstimate)
Full Failures - Who Performed repair (include their info please)
Heel/Toe Shifter or stock pegs?

If you know of anybody who has gone down because of a ghost shift, I really NEED their info!!

I know we went through this once before, but I stopped collecting data when the NHSTA made it clear that such a list would not accomplish anything. If you have already sent me the info, PLEASE resend.
My contact is going to take this list directly to Honda and try to get this figured out.

My contact & I are trying to do something for all of us so please help us help YOU!

My e-mail address...

[email protected]

·
Registered
134 Posts
Sent

Let me know if you need additional info.
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
sent

·
Registered
378 Posts
Tranny

Have not had the problem (yet), but I sure do appreciate your efforts.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Sent!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
tranny

No problem with the Goldwing [yet] [fingers crossed] but really do appreciate your effort. By the way, i had a 'ghost' neutral on my VTX between 4th and 5th. Makes me wonder about Honda cycle tranny's.
JP

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys - I have received a couple of PM's.. those who have sent pm's.. I have your info.

Please e-mail the info to me.. I want everything going to my e-mail please.

[email protected]

·
Registered
249 Posts
Sent, please let me know if i can do anything else...

jb

·
Registered
601 Posts
Ghost Shifting?

I had an odd experience today. Bike downshifted from 5th to 4th while plodding along the highway at around 50mph.

Is that what you all refer to as a "ghost shift"???

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yes, my 03 started one day as i was cruising about 65 MPH with the cruise on. Done it twice, then lost 2nd. $2080.00 later, riding again..

jb

·
Registered
601 Posts
Hmm. Well this is the first time it's done it in the 800ish miles I've owned it, just bought it 3 weeks ago and just got the tag yesterday so I haven't spent much time on it.

I'll have to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. The bike is a 2008 with just a notch under 3k miles on it now. Fortunately covered under warranty and extended warranty till 2016 :coffee1:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Those who have had the transmissions fail within warranty, have you had any issue getting Honda to replace under warranty?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Those who have had the transmissions fail within warranty, have you had any issue getting Honda to replace under warranty?

I had my tranny fail at 4600 miles. No issue in getting it fixed OTHER than it taking forever....

·
Registered
601 Posts
I had my tranny fail at 4600 miles. No issue in getting it fixed OTHER than it taking forever....
How long is forever? Should I maybe reconsider selling my Bandit 1200 for a little while just in case?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts